Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2021, 11:05 AM   #1
fluis

Battery and chargers question

Hey folks.

I tried looking it up for weeks, but I couldn't find a definitive answer, so I'll ask:

My trailer came with factory installed Zamp solar charger and panel. I installed a LiFePO4 battery from Renogy (100Ah). I did setup the Zamp charger to LiFePO4.

When connected to shore power, my battery charges to 100% but then it doesn't stay there, it starts discharging and it doesn't go back to 100% unless I put it in shelf mode and reactivate it.

First of all (I know this might sound stupid, but I don't know the answer for sure): Since I have the Zamp solar charger, do I also have a traditional charger (is the shore power charger separate from the Zamp one)?

Second: I did check voltage with multimeter, charge is happening at the battery connection. Is it likely the BMS is just not detecting the charge, or not allowing the charge to go through? Or could it be that only the Zamp charger is working - not the shore power? I can see the status of the Zamp, and it shows how much voltage/amps are going through, but I have no idea how to check the shore power charger.

My main issue is that I mostly dry camp, so I need a full battery when I leave, and it has been a pain to keep the battery close to 100%.

Sorry if this sounds trivial for some of you, but I'm learning.

Thanks!
fluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 11:16 AM   #2
MotoDad293

So in short, yes, you have a shore powered charger, called a converter. Nearly all the pre-installed converters either are not lithium compatible or not in lithium mode. You need to figure out what converter you have and see if there is a way to put it in lithium mode.

I recently installed 3 lithium batteries (in parallel) in my '21 Keystone Raptor 351 when connected to shore power the converter would only charge to 80%. My converter was not compatible with lithium, so I purchased a new 80amp (70amp ?) Progressive Dynamics Lithium converter and now whether shore power or generator, the converter will charge the batteries to 100%.

Lithium uses different charging stages than 'wet' batteries. For wet batteries once the battery is at 80% the charger reduces power an trickles its way up to 100%. Lithium requires one stage at 13.8-14.6 volts to charge...

The Zamp is a solar power only charger. If you only have one panel, it is only doing so much.....
MotoDad293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 12:13 PM   #3
fluis

I just took a picture of my converter (attached to the floor under the oven). It is a WFCO 55AMP WF-9855.

I just looked Progressive Dynamics has a converter for lithium batteries equivalent model PD9160ALV.

I'm assuming I have to replace the current converter with this one, correct? It's not just an add-on?

What's weird is that if I remove the battery from the trailer, wait a few hours and plug it in again, it will charge to 100%. But it doesn't stay close to 100%, it just slowly looses its charge until I disconnect (or put it in shelf mode) and reconnect again.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:57 PM   #4
MotoDad293

The PD9160ALV or PD9180ALV will work. I recommend the 80amp one. The higher amp will charge the batteries faster. If you have 1 100Ah battery, then should be about 1.25-1.5 hours if your battery is fairly depleted. After upgrading the converter, you should consider adding a 2nd or 3rd battery.

I almost exclusively boondock/dry camp. So the 3 batteries work out well. Takes the solar all day to replenish the batteries so sometimes, toss the generator on for an hour or two to top off.
MotoDad293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 03:57 PM   #5
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluis View Post
I just took a picture of my converter (attached to the floor under the oven). It is a WFCO 55AMP WF-9855.

I just looked Progressive Dynamics has a converter for lithium batteries equivalent model PD9160ALV.

I'm assuming I have to replace the current converter with this one, correct? It's not just an add-on?

What's weird is that if I remove the battery from the trailer, wait a few hours and plug it in again, it will charge to 100%. But it doesn't stay close to 100%, it just slowly looses its charge until I disconnect (or put it in shelf mode) and reconnect again.
I have/had the same WFCO you have. I installed two Battleborn 100Ah lithium and replaced the WFCO with the Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV. At the time I didn't see the 80 amp model, probably would have chosen that, but either will be fine. And yes, it's a direct replacement. Your WFCO won't hurt your lithium battery, but it will not fill the battery up. What are you using to know the true state of charge (SOC) of the battery?

How many watts is your Zamp solar panel? I'm guessing it's 5-7 amps per hour at peak sunshine. And figure that's only 4-5 hours per day... so, 25-35 amps per day to put back into your battery. I'm thinking you want more solar panel. We're pretty happy with 320 watts of solar.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 05:45 PM   #6
fluis

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
I have/had the same WFCO you have. I installed two Battleborn 100Ah lithium and replaced the WFCO with the Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV. At the time I didn't see the 80 amp model, probably would have chosen that, but either will be fine. And yes, it's a direct replacement. Your WFCO won't hurt your lithium battery, but it will not fill the battery up. What are you using to know the true state of charge (SOC) of the battery?

How many watts is your Zamp solar panel? I'm guessing it's 5-7 amps per hour at peak sunshine. And figure that's only 4-5 hours per day... so, 25-35 amps per day to put back into your battery. I'm thinking you want more solar panel. We're pretty happy with 320 watts of solar.
For the SoC I'm using Renogy's monitoring screen (https://www.renogy.com/monitoring-sc...attery-series/), that I mounted inside the trailer after routing an ethernet cable from the battery compartment.

The solar package that came with my trailer has 1 170W panel and a 2,000W Xantrex inverter. I really thought it would be lithium ready, but after swapping the converter it should be ready. I did change the configuration in the Zamp charger to LiFePO4.

My idea is to add a 2nd 100Ah battery and another panel, but it is out of my budget right now.

I did find the PD9160ALV on Amazon as an open box with a very good price so i puked the trigger on it.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:56 PM   #7
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluis View Post
For the SoC I'm using Renogy's monitoring screen (https://www.renogy.com/monitoring-sc...attery-series/), that I mounted inside the trailer after routing an ethernet cable from the battery compartment.

The solar package that came with my trailer has 1 170W panel and a 2,000W Xantrex inverter. I really thought it would be lithium ready, but after swapping the converter it should be ready. I did change the configuration in the Zamp charger to LiFePO4.

My idea is to add a 2nd 100Ah battery and another panel, but it is out of my budget right now.

I did find the PD9160ALV on Amazon as an open box with a very good price so i puked the trigger on it.
Interesting battery monitor. I knew only of the kind that needed the shunt. Sounds like you have accurate data though, and that's what counts. I think we all understand budgets. Maybe some time camping and usage data will tell you which to add first when the time comes.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:35 AM   #8
gearhead

You may want to talk to bestconverter.com as well.
https://www.bestconverter.com/
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:05 AM   #9
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
You may want to talk to bestconverter.com as well.
https://www.bestconverter.com/
That is where I bought the circuit board replacement for my WFCO converter.

Plug and play, retain the original power center.

-Brian

Tags
battery