Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2021, 03:27 PM   #1
Ah07

Shower leaks past grey Valve

Started camping this week, went to drain tanks first time and our drain pipe was full with valves closed. I got them emptied, ran the shower with the valve closed and had water running out of the pipe to hook your hose on for portable sewage Dolley. I changed the valve, and I’m still having the same issue. When the tanks were emptied I added an add on valve to prevent getting a drain bath again, it’s clear so I can see it filling. When I took the old valve out it seemed to operate fine and gaskets looked good. Any ideas ? Or should I try changing the valve again ? Bath and shower are on galley tank, black on its own, kitchen on Grey tank. Keystone Cougar 34BHS 2008 5 th wheel.
Ah07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 06:58 AM   #2
LewisB

It's not unusual for waste tank valves to leak by slowly. They really shouldn't gush however. Many of us use a secondary valve at the end of the drain line just upstream of the cap to allow removal of the drain cap without getting a lap full of waste from the leakage into the drain line. I highly recommend this.

Assuming you have cable operated tank valves, is it possible your cables are not adjusted correctly? Do you know for sure the valves are being fully closed by the cables?

Recommend you update your profile to include information on your trailer and your tow vehicle. Then change your signature to include the basics. It will help users to better understand how to answer your questions and you are likely to get more responses.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 07:35 AM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
It's not unusual for waste tank valves to leak by slowly. They really shouldn't gush however. Many of us use a secondary valve at the end of the drain line just upstream of the cap to allow removal of the drain cap without getting a lap full of waste from the leakage into the drain line. I highly recommend this.

Assuming you have cable operated tank valves, is it possible your cables are not adjusted correctly? Do you know for sure the valves are being fully closed by the cables?

Recommend you update your profile to include information on your trailer and your tow vehicle. Then change your signature to include the basics. It will help users to better understand how to answer your questions and you are likely to get more responses.
Should we tell him that the labels are wrong on the t-handles and the galley pull handle is really the grey tank. 🤔
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:19 AM   #4
travelin texans

On a 5th wheel that size are you sure there's not a 3rd valve behind the axles somewhere that's been left open?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:26 AM   #5
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
On a 5th wheel that size are you sure there's not a 3rd valve behind the axles somewhere that's been left open?
I just looked up the specs on a 304 BHS and it only had two waste tanks a 38 gallon Black and a 38 gallon Grey.. with a 60 gallon FW tank..

He's talking like there are three tanks so who knows..
Old 05-20-2021, 09:57 AM   #6
LewisB

To the OP, as you can see, we are confused. From the OP: "Bath and shower are on galley tank, black on its own, kitchen on Grey tank."

The specs only show you with 1 grey tank and 1 black tank. So typically, the shower, bathroom sink, and galley sink would all drain to the grey tank. The toilet would drain to the black tank. You should have two main drain valves that are either visible to you or have cable operators routed through the frame - 1 for black, 1 for grey.

Does that agree with your understanding? If not, then you have some kind of an odd setup (previously modified by prior owner?) or you need to do some more investigation. Typically, if any one of the items routed to grey are used and the grey tank valve is not sealed, then you should see water when any of the devices are used. You mentioned you ran the shower and saw the leak. Did you also see the leak when using either of the 2 sinks?

Please expand. Thanks.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 12:11 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Looks like the OP made this post 4 days ago. His info shows a 34BHS model which I don't find so figure a typo. Javi found the 304bhs which has the one gray tank. A 314bhs has two gray tanks. Until he clarifies, or finds the other valve, which he may have, it's sort of like shooting in the dark.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 05:44 PM   #8
ssthrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I just looked up the specs on a 304 BHS and it only had two waste tanks a 38 gallon Black and a 38 gallon Grey.. with a 60 gallon FW tank..

He's talking like there are three tanks so who knows..
On my Laredo, there are three tanks, but the grey capacity is listed as having a total capacity. For the black/grey tanks for the bathroom, there is a black and a grey valve located in the water closet outside, and just behind the the discharge connection where the sewer hose connects is a third valve which comes from the second grey tank for the galley.

So there are 2 grey tanks, and one black tank which all discharge at the same location.

Hope that makes sense.

2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax
ssthrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, leaks