Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2020, 05:56 AM   #1
popsshopga

Question Brown Spots on Roof

It's that time of year again when the leaves are folling. We have also had some rain. When I cleaned the roof on my TT, I noticed brown spots when some of the dead leaes had left their mark. Scrubbing did not clean those spots up.

Does anyone know of a good way to get those stains off without damaging the roof? Any suggestions would be appreiated.

Fred
popsshopga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:04 AM   #2
dutchmensport

RV ownership for a long, long time now, and never found a way to remove those leaf stains. Just wash the roof, treat the roof if you can, and forget it. Stains won't hurt anything. Only those police helicopters flying along the interstates will see those stains! And for some reason, I don't think they are too concerned about them!
Old 11-08-2020, 09:38 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Stains on the roof membrane are "what they are"... Trying to keep the TPO "pristine" is not only an exercise in futility, but is also likely doing more damage to the TPO (chemical changes from cleaning compounds) than good.... So, once the organic materials are removed from the roof (so mold/mildew won't have a food source) the rest is purely cosmetic and of no consequence.

As said above, nobody sees the roof but "police helicopters" so spend the time waxing the FILON siding or applying 303 protectant to the rubber/vinyl surfaces. It's time better spent in actually protecting the RV rather than making it look good in places nobody ever sees.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 10:03 AM   #4
travelin texans

As long as the caulking at all the seams are good, no leaks, don't fret about stains, as the others mentioned, no one but you will ever see it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:20 AM   #5
popsshopga

Smile

Thanks folks for the info - I will forget about them and let the copters have a look.
popsshopga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:42 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by popsshopga View Post
Thanks folks for the info - I will forget about them and let the copters have a look.
The "important part" is to make sure you clean all of the "organic material" (food for mold) off the roof structure. Any dirt, rotting leaves, dried "China berry juice", bird droppings, tree sap, etc that's left in the cracks and crevices of the roof and things installed on the roof will "feed mold through the winter" and you may find issues in the spring.

Keeping (or getting) the roof clean and removing all of the visible organic material with a brush and a good rinse will pay "big dividends" come spring...

NOTE: There's a significant difference between "clean" and "sterile"... You're looking for "clean".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof