Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
JME

Cougar Half-tun 29FKD Furnace Model?

Question: Would anyone know by chance which furnace model I have in my 2020 Cougar Half-tun 29FKD.

Issue: My furnace is shutting down after 30 seconds of blowing cold air and I am pretty sure it is an issue with the sail switch. I would like to order a replacement part but I am unsure which one I would order without the model number.

My Research: I would bring it into an authorized Keystone Dealership to get it fixed but all the ones in a 100Mi radius have a 30day+ wait. AND as it is 32degrees at night where we are currently staying and I dont want my family to freeze to death. I decided to try and fix this issue myself. I have watched a lot of YT videos and have spoken to a few mechanics who agree that this is a common issue with the furnace. After looking at the manual for the furnace it is a common manual for multiple furnaces so it did not tell me which one is specifically my model.
JME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

The dealer should have provided you with a build sheet. The build sheet should list all model and serial numbers for every appliance right down to the serial numbers on the tires. If that wasn't provided ask the dealer to send it to you.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:34 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JME View Post
Question: Would anyone know by chance which furnace model I have in my 2020 Cougar Half-tun 29FKD.

Issue: My furnace is shutting down after 30 seconds of blowing cold air and I am pretty sure it is an issue with the sail switch. I would like to order a replacement part but I am unsure which one I would order without the model number.

My Research: I would bring it into an authorized Keystone Dealership to get it fixed but all the ones in a 100Mi radius have a 30day+ wait. AND as it is 32degrees at night where we are currently staying and I dont want my family to freeze to death. I decided to try and fix this issue myself. I have watched a lot of YT videos and have spoken to a few mechanics who agree that this is a common issue with the furnace. After looking at the manual for the furnace it is a common manual for multiple furnaces so it did not tell me which one is specifically my model.

Welcome JME! Hook 'em Horns! Anyway, don't have a clue on the furnace but you may want to put your camper year, make and model as well as the same for your tow vehicle. Are you camping with an electrical supply readily available? If so, I almost never use my heater as it eats propane (we stay in parks) and use a ceramic heater that warms things nicely. If you are worried about the camper freezing, it is more likely your water hose or even your dump plumbing will be more likely freeze targets. Some folks buy heated water hoses (yeah, they got them). People that camp in cold weather can likely give more tips as well as diagnose your camper's heater issue. My heater is under my refrigerator and there is a large return covering that hole where it sits. I would take a look there to see if there is some model/make designation.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:35 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The dealer should have provided you with a build sheet. The build sheet should list all model and serial numbers for every appliance right down to the serial numbers on the tires. If that wasn't provided ask the dealer to send it to you.

Sounds like he is out camping somewhere and doubt he can keep his family warm waiting till he gets back to sunny Austin and pick up the mail with the build sheet.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Sounds like he is out camping somewhere and doubt he can keep his family warm waiting till he gets back to sunny Austin and pick up the mail with the build sheet.
Why would you assume he doesn't havre it in the camper?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 03:56 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Why would you assume he doesn't havre it in the camper?

I didn't assume anything. You stated he should have it in his camper. Great if he does but then you mentioned getting it from a dealer. Not great if he is out camping. My point was to head to Wally World and buy a ceramic heater if his family is freezing. Perhaps he didn't know about the build sheet but unless he is somewhere where he can get a sail switch I am guessing he may be able to order but not receive on site.

Tags
cougar, furnace, mod