Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2020, 12:10 PM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

The instructions on WDH is to adjust so that the front and rear drop as close to the same amount as possible. I haven't read the E2 instructions but that's what I'd go by v(the instructions for the hitch itself).
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:38 AM   #22
bbells

IMHO, anyone who hasn't readjusted their dealer installed wdh should do it asap.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 07:57 AM   #23
skids

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The instructions on WDH is to adjust so that the front and rear drop as close to the same amount as possible. I haven't read the E2 instructions but that's what I'd go by v(the instructions for the hitch itself).
Front and rear drop would seem to make sense, but that is not what E2 recommends. They say:
1. Meausre the height from the ground to fender when WDH is not used and tongue load is applied.
2. Measure the height when no weight is applied to the ball.
3. Determine the average of the two heights.
4. Adjust the WDH until the height is between the average and no load on ball condition.
5. Then check to see if the trailer is still level front to rear.
They claim that this is to prevent wear to the steering and front suspension of the tow vehicle.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:11 AM   #24
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by skids View Post
Front and rear drop would seem to make sense, but that is not what E2 recommends. They say:
1. Meausre the height from the ground to fender when WDH is not used and tongue load is applied.
2. Measure the height when no weight is applied to the ball.
3. Determine the average of the two heights.
4. Adjust the WDH until the height is between the average and no load on ball condition.
5. Then check to see if the trailer is still level front to rear.
They claim that this is to prevent wear to the steering and front suspension of the tow vehicle.
And that's why I stated to follow the instructions. Thanks for posting them.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:49 AM   #25
Trike Pete

We just did that. I ended up having to replace the existing weight ditribution bars with sturdier ones. All adjustments required full water tanks and extra gear in the campe to set it up correctly..
Trike Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 08:55 AM   #26
sourdough
Site Team

OP, I'm still confused about what hitch you have. There is a huge difference between the Fastway E2 and the Equalizer 4 point. Here is a link describing the part number you gave (92-00-1000/Fastway E2) which you said is on the hitch;

https://www.reese-hitches.com/produc..._lb,92-00-1000

Notice the description says it has 2 point sway control. Here is a video for the same product. Note at the 2 minute mark it specifies it is a 2 point;

https://www.reese-hitches.com/views/...be/ChyN-d_qcHo

The link you posted previously to the Equalizer 4 point is definitely not the same hitch and the 2 point will not be nearly as effective controlling sway with that big of a trailer. Adjusting it for weight distribution is one thing, controlling sway is an entirely different, unrelated parameter.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote