Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
mic1hael

Talking Got the Reese Dual Cam system installed

Got the new hitch work and dual cam sway control installed today and I love it. I could really tell the difference between no sway bar and the new system. I have a question though. It seems to me that when you take corners with the dual cam system it helps the trailer not take as tight of a turn as it would without. Is that just me or is that what is actually happening? I know it's a weird question but I just wanted some ideas from some other people. I will post a pic of my TV and TT soon. Thank you.
Allison 6 speed transmission 3.73 gears
mic1hael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
MIKEPATC

I have had the Reese Dual Cam system on 2 different TVs and 3 TTs. Love it !!! Towing is always supurb, even with my former TT (over weight Toy Hauler). I also try to avoid really sharp corners. You don't want to take it so sharp that the bars might jump off the cams. That being said I am overly cautious and will take the bars off if I know I am going to have to make sharp turns backing into a camp spot.
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
pa camper

I haven't installed mine yet, how critical do you think having trailer perfectly
level is?
Old 04-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #4
f6bits

There’s no reason your trailer shouldn’t be nearly or perfectly level. Strive for perfectly loaded and perfectly level to keep it properly balanced. If it’s properly balanced, it’ll handle as smoothly as possible when towed.

If it’s tipped forward, that’s more stress on your tow vehicle and the trailer’s front axle. If it’s tipped backward, that may over lighten load on your tow vehicle and put more stress on the trailer’s rear axle.

Leveling is handled by the height of the hitch ball.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
shooted

I sold mine last year in a garage sale for $20.00! I was happy to have the $20.00. Mine always required adjustment, and any short comings such as loud operation and uneven wear was my fault. The dealer adjusted and fixed it several times before I just stopped using it. I have never noticed the difference towing our 25' TT and hookup is easier and faster without. I'm sure it must be of benefit to somebody, just not me.
shooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #6
mic1hael

25' trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooted View Post
I sold mine last year in a garage sale for $20.00! I was happy to have the $20.00. Mine always required adjustment, and any short comings such as loud operation and uneven wear was my fault. The dealer adjusted and fixed it several times before I just stopped using it. I have never noticed the difference towing our 25' TT and hookup is easier and faster without. I'm sure it must be of benefit to somebody, just not me.
With a 25 foot trailer you might not need that much sway control. On my old 30' trailer I was fine with a friction sway bar going through montana and North dakota but with the longer trailer the dual cam will definetly keep my mind at ease.
Allison 6 speed transmission 3.73 gears
mic1hael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #7
mtbkrdan

I was told when I bought my first TT 3 years ago that the rule of thumb is anything over 28' probably needs sway control. I had the Reese HD dual cam sway hitch installed by my local trailer (non RV) company and it has been smooth sailing ever since. You can feel when an 18 wheeler comes along side and tries to suck your rig into the side of a 53' box trailer. You can't make as sharp turns with sway control installed because it is specifically designed to keep the rig straight.
mtbkrdan is offline   Reply With Quote