Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
mustang94

Question 110 volt plug

First I would like to know if any one has a 110 volt plug outlet in their slid out? My 31RKS dosent and was told they dont put anything 110 volts on a slide out... Now I would like to maybe put on right next to my slid out and and was wounder how hard would it be?
mustang94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
jq1031

I would not mess with electrical wiring unless you're a licensed electrican. A side from the potential hazzard of a fire your insurance company would most likely refuse to pay such a claim if a "do it yourself project" proved to be the cause of that fire. In a previous RV I had an electrical fire & it was thoroughly investigated before I got paid. Beware!
jq1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #3
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang94 View Post
First I would like to know if any one has a 110 volt plug outlet in their slid out? My 31RKS dosent and was told they dont put anything 110 volts on a slide out... Now I would like to maybe put on right next to my slid out and and was wounder how hard would it be?
I don't know who told you that they don't put 110vac in slides, but they are very, very wrong.

Our Cougar has most of the galley plus the entire entertainment center in one large slide. The 110vac for the fridge, microwave, outlets, and more are all part of the slide. All the wiring for the Jensen entertainment center and flat screen tv is there plus the cables for the tv antenna.

The large slide on the other side of the trailer has several 110vac outlets as well.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
hankaye

mustang94, Howdy;

There are several models that have A/C outlets in the slides.
You can see and read about some here;

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1792

Thought you might like to see and read some...

hankaye

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #5
Outbackmel

110 outlets

2011 Outback Sydney 5er 329FBH has outlets in the front extertainment slide out. 110. Inside of the component cabinet.

LR has near floor (wall) outlet just where the slide comes in. Very convenient spot. Again, this one is NOT in the slide but well placed.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
mustang94

Hmmm..... thanks to every one.... I am not sure why I dont have not one single outlet on the hole side of the camper where the slide outs are at....
mustang94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 02:30 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

We only have outlets at each end of the slide. Actually, on our floorplan, the slide is essentially the entire roadside of the lower level. There are outlets in the entertainment center forward of the slide and on the back wall, aft of the slide. The only electric availability actually in the slide is the 12VDC for the lights. I've seen a number of Keystone products with 110 outlets in the slides that house the sofa/dinette, and I've seen just as many without outlets. My guess is that it was a manufacturing decision based on proximity of outlets "near" the slide as much as it was having a folding/bennding piece of romex under the slide that had to be managed during slide operation. The less that's in a slide, the less potential for something to break.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:07 AM   #8
smiller

I have an electrical outlet on either end of my living room slide (on a 325SRX.) Both are powered by a flexible cable attached to a long spring so that it all folds up properly when the slide is brought in. The system works but there are a few places where the spring is rubbing against the insulation and I have augmented those areas with some additional protection which should prevent any problems, but for safety's sake I will be checking it every once in a while. So it's kind of a mixed bag safety-wise I think, meaning if the owner does even the simplest inspection and maintenance there won't be any problems... but it's also an unfortunate reality that many owners don't do even the simplest inspection and maintenance, so one could see why a manufacturer might not want to go there (not to mention it saves a few pennies! )
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:49 AM   #9
SAABDOCTOR

Wow i quess i beter remove my 120 volt lamp from my dining room table i have it plugged in to a socket that isn't there. I agree do not atempt this unless you are licenced electrician. It is far better than begging you insurance company to pay up.
2 RESCUE PUPS: SUSITNA AND CRYSTAL. RIP ALYESKA!
SAABDOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:22 AM   #10
ktmracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang94 View Post
My outback came with a 110V outlet in the slideout. The factory system was to terminate the romex in the underbelly and connect the romex to a section of 14/2 WG jacketed stranded "extension cord wire" rated for outdoor exposure. This runs to a junction box in the slideout and moves in and out with the other wires for the slideout. junction box in the slideout goes from the extension cord wire to 14/2 WG romex and runs to the outlet.

2004 Silverado CC/SB/ 4x4 Duramax
Pace 14' bike hauler with full living quarters
ktmracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #11
MILBY

Go to your local Electrical supply house and ask for 14/3 SO cord and the correct cord keeper for this cable to hook intothe junction box. SO cord is for outside and will stand up to the elements. I use it all the time for certain outdoor connections.
MILBY is offline   Reply With Quote