Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2015, 11:49 AM   #21
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw342 View Post
How are you enjoying your Grand Design? Keep hearing wonderful things about their customer service. Sounds like some pretty solid built trailers.
We love it so far but have barely had time to use it. We had planned on camping this week but my work schedule didn't work out. I think they have their issues like all the manufactures do but they seem to have good customer service. What I really liked about them is they will generally send you the parts directly. Other owners have had their own RV repair guys do the warranty work and Grand Designs authorized the repair. If I can't fix it myself I'll try that route as I'm not planning on using my local dealer unless absolutely necessary. They informed me up front if I didn't buy from them they wouldn't have time to do any work for me. They were also around $12,000 higher than what I paid so I bought elsewhere.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:39 PM   #22
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
Be careful
with lubricating the treads. this is considered a wet torque versus a dry torque and the torque value should be different. remember the torque value for a given aplication takes in account the force it would take to overide the friction of the nut turning on the bolt. if you use a dry torque value on a lubricated bolt, you could over stretch or damage the fastener.
Exactly. You can get in trouble lubing threads and then torqueing to dry specs. There are specs for lubricated threads out there though. For me it's just too much a variable between a drop of 3 in 1 oil, Never Seize, or a lot of grease.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #23
sw342
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
We love it so far but have barely had time to use it. We had planned on camping this week but my work schedule didn't work out. I think they have their issues like all the manufactures do but they seem to have good customer service. What I really liked about them is they will generally send you the parts directly. Other owners have had their own RV repair guys do the warranty work and Grand Designs authorized the repair. If I can't fix it myself I'll try that route as I'm not planning on using my local dealer unless absolutely necessary. They informed me up front if I didn't buy from them they wouldn't have time to do any work for me. They were also around $12,000 higher than what I paid so I bought elsewhere.
I have not had a chance to see one in person yet, but there is a dealer on RV row that carries them, so next time I get into downtown I will see if I can find some time to stop by. Sounds like some other brands could take a lesson from GD's customer service. Hope it doesn't become watered down the bigger they grow.
sw342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 02:45 PM   #24
C130

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw342 View Post
I have not had a chance to see one in person yet, but there is a dealer on RV row that carries them, so next time I get into downtown I will see if I can find some time to stop by. Sounds like some other brands could take a lesson from GD's customer service. Hope it doesn't become watered down the bigger they grow.
Yes, that's the issue they'll have I think as they continue to grow because it'll be hard to keep up the customer service. I contacted several manufactures before buying and they were the only one that responded and they called me. That was one of the deciding factors for me. But, like most every manufacturer they have some quality control issues. I think they are trying to improve upon that because they are building a brand new PDI facility right now. It seems a lot of the issues they have is from Lippert and some of the other parts manufacturers so that issue is the same all across the business.

As I've stated before though we were very happy with our Fuzion and never had a single issue. I occasionally talk to the couple that bought it from me and they are living in it full time while they build a house. They haven't had any issues either and are very happy with it.