Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
Steersall4

when I winterize

who can say for sure, what is the chunky white stuff that comes out if my water heater when it first starts draining? I assume it is some thing the "Ano-rod" has collected. my cougar is an 04 I have noticed this every time I winterized and this time no different!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Terrydactile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steersall4 View Post
who can say for sure, what is the chunky white stuff that comes out if my water heater when it first starts draining? I assume it is some thing the "Ano-rod" has collected. my cougar is an 04 I have noticed this every time I winterized and this time no different!
It could also be lime deposits that are very common in stick house water heaters. We live in an area that has a lot of lime in the water and it is a death sentence for our water heater if I don't drain and flush every year. Something most people don't have to do because the stick house water heater doesn't get winterized. Just a thought.

Note: The water heater on my Passport is aluminum so an anode rod is not necessary.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
Steersall4

Terry I posted the same thing on RV.net and all the replys there indicated that it is Calcium and yes that is what the ano rod is to do, cause the stuff to collect in the bottom
Old 10-28-2009, 01:57 AM   #4
TexasTraveler

Hey Steersall4 (you ever going to quit bragging about that GMC that you can steer all four wheels on???). Yeah, that's calcium the anode has removed from the water and dropped in the bottom of your hot water heater.

Want some free advice? You'll be tempted to stick a water hose in the hole where the anode goes to flush out the water heater, and that's probably not a bad idea. But before you do that, rig up some kind of a tube to direct the water coming out of the anode hole away from the water heater.

A guy I know flushed out his hot water heater and allowed water to spray all over the front of the water heater. He had to use the electric on the water heater after that, the gas wouldn't stay lit.
TexasTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:30 AM   #5
Steersall4

Beunos Dias mister Ron ! I did go back and injected a lot of water in the anode rod hole and got a little more gunk out, but didn't drown things in the process. considering my self and the trailer GTG! The truck is too. as for bragging on it? don't see how I can stop that ! the thing an 03 is now at 105,500 miles. Hitch'n up AGAIN soon ! So Many Places, So Little Time!!
Old 10-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
TexasTraveler

Saludos amigo mio. One thing I learned after full timing up here in Illinois for over a year is that the anode needs to be changed out every six months. The water up this way must be a lot harder than the water we have in East Texas. Definitely a good idea to schedule a regular inspection/replacement of the anode and remove debris from the hot water heater.

Hope you and your DW are planning to stop by and see us in Texas when you come down that way.
TexasTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote