Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

View Poll Results: Should I Power Off the Frig When Stored?
Yes. Store Powered OFF 32 68.09%
No. Keep In Operation With Items In It 15 31.91%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
Txoutback

Turn Off Frig?

Do most owners turn off there frig between uses or leave it operating?
I kept mine in operation attached to shore power for seven years with at least a bag of ice in the freezer and some bottle water and beer in the frig and it never gave a bit of trouble. I sold it today and the new user was saying that his school of thought for longivity was to operate it only when needed.

So what does everyone else do and post reasoning behind your action?
Thanks

2011 Outback 277RL
2011 Ford F150 EB Max Tow
Txoutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

We had our last trailer 12 years and the fridge was on most of the time. With our '07 we have done the same. We use it for extra freezer and fridge space at home. I turn it off when expecting extremely cold weather or heavy snow. IMO they don't seem to work well in very cold temps and I'm afraid snow will block vents. Maybe some full-timers can comment more on that.

Best of all it keeps the brown bottles really cold in the summer. Come to think of it, "It's five o'clock somewhere." ..... Cheers, Hank

So, if this is a poll .... I vote .... Leave it on.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
therink

I leave mine on from May through October. Ready to go when we leave and we are always shopping and refilling it days before the next trip. Never any issues.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
cumminsdad08

we don't leave ours on, but we travel with ours. we "try" to leave the door open when it is in storage, most times only for a week or two between usuage, but i usually forget when i park it, unless my wife is with me.
if i were on power the whole time, i would prolly just leave it on for the season, and turn it off for winter.
Dogs
Buddy-beagle hound mix
Emily-beagle hound mix
Sadie-boarder collie (my amish one)
cumminsdad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
kenn209

As long as were campin its on, I turn it off when I winterize..
kenn209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:32 AM   #6
Flyguy

We turn it on the day before we leave on a trip so as to precool it. When the trailer is in storage I shut it down and use the door stays (those little blue thing-a-majigs) to keep the doors ajar so it can dry out and stay clean. I always keep the trailer level in storage even though the refrigerator is not operating. I've never had a refrigerator problem yet and while I can't say that this is the reason for it, why fix it if it ain't broke?
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
hankaye

Howdy All;

Don't know if 'Fulltiming' counts for storage (LOL), anywho, keep stuff in mine all the time an running it on electric ... generally. I DO cycle it thru in the gas mode for a day or 2 each month. just so I know it will work when needed.

hankaye

If you don't want fulltimers to vote please cancel mine..

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #8
Pete and Jeanne

Fridge On

Howdy Everybody...gotta go with hankaye on this one..(right now full time is just a dream...someday..) But we DO keep the TT at home..and between trips the fridge stays plugged in..it gets checked out on gas..TO and FROM...well....wherever !! Good Luck and Travel Well !!!! Pierre
Pete and Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
mrxlh

Voted leave it on with items in it, however, I don't leave any food in it. Just drinks. Electricity is included in my storage rent, so I leave it on all the time to keep it ready to go at a moments notice. In my first RV that I had for 7 years the first 2 years it was always plugged in and on as I could store it at my house, when it had to go the the storage lot, I did as others mentioned turned it off and prop the doors open, had electricity been available at the
1st stroage facility, I would have left it on all the time.

2008 Ford F350 CC LWB Dually
2011 Raptor 4014LEV
2006 H-D FLHX
2010 Honda Rancher 420ES
mrxlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:56 AM   #10
heatkits

From an old refrigeration guy...

Defrost! RV fridges don't have a built in defrost cycle, that's why you see domestic fridges in Park Models. Leave it on if you want, but keep an eye on frost build up... I recommend shutting it down ever couple of weeks with the doors open (long enough to defrost). Of course the higher the relative humidity and the more you open the door the worse the frost can get. Frost, acts like insulation prevents heat transfer, thus the box not holding temperature. You do have a thermometer in both sections, don't you?
heatkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:35 AM   #11
Txoutback

Thanks Heatkits. Just one control, the thermocouple slide in the fridg. The freezer does not have a seperate control.

2011 Outback 277RL
Old 06-12-2011, 07:42 AM   #12
Txoutback

Nobody seemed to have logivity concerns with leaving it on year round other than not functioning well below freezing so I guess I will continue my practice of year round operation. It might get below freezing here 8 days a year.

Thanks for everyones input
Dave

2011 Outback 277RL