Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
5mary6

Front landing gear failure

Noticed when leaving for the trip that one of the black sleeves extending downward was shorter than the other. When I got to the campsite and before unhooking my 5er, I decided to look in the holding area up front. I saw that the bracket holding the black landing gear sleeve was broken. The weld holding the bracket to the frame broke and the black sleeve was pushed upward. Luckily the upper bracket weld was strong and the sleeve slipped upward.

PullRite Superglide 16k
Revolution kites

Previous RV

2012 MVP Sonoma SE 23bh
5mary6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
Yosemitebob

that don't sound good at all, can you supply some pictures? Just curious. That may be something I add to my list of checks.
1800 / 3600 inverter with auto transfer switch,
The bosses: My wife and two Labradoddles 80 lbs each
Yosemitebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:33 AM   #3
WaltBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5mary6 View Post
I saw that the bracket holding the black landing gear sleeve was broken. The weld holding the bracket to the frame broke and the black sleeve was pushed upward. Luckily the upper bracket weld was strong and the sleeve slipped upward.
I had first one and then the other landing gear themselves break early this year. Although the parts to fix them weren't terribly expensive, if I had it done at a dealer, it would have run into the $300 range and I wasn't completely certain I could fix them myself. Since I really didn't like the single motor setup and plastic gear box anyway, I looked around and found a source for a two motor Bulldog 7k lbs. heavier duty set that cost under $600 delivered. Wasn't difficult at all to install, but did have to cut one hole in a side bulkhead for the metal gearbox on one of the legs and another for the switch panel. I have to use the Bulldog switches instead of my LCI remote now, but I like the new setup a lot better. Here's the Photobucket picture links:

http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/th...%20Install%201

http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/th...r%20Insall%202

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 05:26 AM   #4
Yosemitebob

Well, now it is something I had to my list for check out. Walt, do you have a picture of the break? where exactly is it happening? I see you picture of "the old brake" but it doesn't really tell me what happened.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
WaltBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemitebob View Post
Well, now it is something I had to my list for check out. Walt, do you have a picture of the break? where exactly is it happening? I see you picture of "the old brake" but it doesn't really tell me what happened.
Mine didn't have a weld break. One had a shear pin go while I was retracting it at a spot I'd been dry camping at near a train track - while a train came by! I couldn't hear when it got all the way up. That probably damaged the other leg, but when I got home, it jammed going down. Needless to say, I was using a lot of my old MSgt words for quite a while. I used some 4"x4" cribbing, hydraulic jack and floor stands to get the front end of the Monty up to unhook and then level, and then figured out what to do. That photo of a break is of the shaft that goes through from top to bottom and screws up & down inside a leg.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
Yosemitebob

Wow, I've always been leery of that I have different color marks on mine red being limit