Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2014, 06:26 AM   #1
cblong

slide out weight question

I was wondering I have multiple slide outs and to keep my boys in one place while they are all coming out I make them sit on the couch while I put the slides out. My boys are both about 40 pounds. is it ok to have them on the couch while I extend the slide out. Its a about 3 foot wide and has the couch and dinette on it. its an electric gear driven slide out. just curious, maybe i'll make them sit on the steps for good measure just wanted to see if there was anyone who knew what the weight limits were if any.
cblong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
GaryWT

Granted that is not a ton of weight but over time that could cause a problem. Also, many slides you are not suppose to sit or stand on while they are closed, you are to use them only once they are open so you might want to look into that some more.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
Brantlaker

My 5er the reclining chairs are strapped on to the Sofa and they must weigh at least 40-45lb plus we store water under the dinette. So as long as they sit still it should be ok in my way of thinking.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:38 AM   #4
WaltBennett

IMHO they shouldn't matter a bit. Think of the weight of all the stuff you could put in cabinets & other storage spaces in that slide. Even when retracted, they'd better be able to withstand that. I took out the couch in our LR/DR slide to gain room for things for our upcoming 2 month junket and it weighed well over 150 lbs all by itself.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:03 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
IMHO they shouldn't matter a bit. Think of the weight of all the stuff you could put in cabinets & other storage spaces in that slide. Even when retracted, they'd better be able to withstand that. .
Walt -
In our Keystone (2008) manual it specifically says "not to walk on the slide floor when retracted". The reason for this is that the slide floor when IN does not sit flush with or rest on the main floor. On ours, it does exactly this - it "rides up" somewhat.

Because it is not fully resting on the floor it's ability to bear weight is reduced and the slide floor could come away from the sides if any significant extra weight were applied. The likelihood of this happening is pretty remote I would think but it is a caution nonetheless by Keystone - probably there to PTA.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #6
WaltBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus2 View Post
Walt -
In our Keystone (2008) manual it specifically says "not to walk on the slide floor when retracted". The reason for this is that the slide floor when IN does not sit flush with or rest on the main floor. On ours, it does exactly this - it "rides up" somewhat.

Because it is not fully resting on the floor it's ability to bear weight is reduced and the slide floor could come away from the sides if any significant extra weight were applied. The likelihood of this happening is pretty remote I would think but it is a caution nonetheless by Keystone - probably there to PTA.
If you think about it, the weight of either our couch or the two very heavy recliners on the opposite side LR slide would be as much as an adult walking on one. Only reason I can think they'd say that is if you were walking on the unsupported edge - that could possibly break with a adult's weight on it. We put quite a bit of 'stuff' where the furniture is (or was, in the case of the couch), and that doesn't bother anything. If you doubt me and have a couch on a slide, try moving it first (ours wasn't even fastened down - only held in place by it's considerable weight). If it moves, try picking up one end - you'll see what I mean.

'06 F350 Lariat turbo diesel dually, Curt 20k, Softopper, Aerosheld, coolant filter, air bags
'10 3665RE Hickory, wet bolts, Trimetric battery monitor, 4 100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking!
WaltBennett is offline   Reply With Quote