Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
jboch2014

Hello From Wisconsin

Hello - We are happy new Outback Terrain 250RS owners and look forward to spending many a day in our new TT. It is a little surreal considering how we started out...

My wife, who I met while in college, comes from a family that spent a lot of time together camping as a family. My family never went camping as it sounded like "work" and not "vacation." J and I would take a day trips to Peninsula State Park to go biking and hiking - never to camp. Then she popped the question - "Do you want to go camping?" So, in 1996 we loaded up an old Ford Aerostar with a Weimaraner, canvas tent, two sleeping bags, a camp stove, camp suds and sparse edibles and headed to Peninsula State Park for the weekend. After arguing with a 1960's boy scout tent and intentionally glaring at J with utter annoyance we set-up camp.

Turns out that trip was one of the best trips I ever took. It was a great weekend and I was hooked. As we took more trips to state parks in WI and MN, J and I became better at camping. Tent camping at Peninsula quickly became our favorite way to camp - the two of us and a Weimaraner named Wyatt.

20 years and 3 kids later with memories galore, the Aerostar became a 2012 Dodge Durango R/T. Our living quarters went from canvas to vinyl to Jayco pop-up to our new TT. WOW! We are very blessed and very excited to another chapter...

Thanks for reading... Happy Trails!
jboch2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
DJ85

Welcome to the forum from a southern Illinois rver. I alwwys tell my family its not about the journey its about the memories that you create with your family that live forever. A loving wife two beautiful daughter's and now two of the cuties grand daughter that you would ever lay your eyes on. Man life is good

God is great, beer is good and people are crazy
Dave and Julie

2008 F-250 6.4L 4x4
2012 Cougar RES 327
2000 Jayco 264 Bunkhouse
1995 Starcraft pop-up
DJ85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:18 AM   #3
bsmith0404

Humble beginnings are always amazing. I grew up camping with my parents in an 8' truck camper. 5 people in that thing and I can't remember a single fight/argument/or complaint of not enough space. This year my wife and I bought a new 40' Alpine because our 35' Jayco didn't have enough room for our family of 5

Enjoy your new camper.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:59 AM   #4
MIKEPATC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboch2014 View Post
Hello - We are happy new Outback Terrain 250RS owners and look forward to spending many a day in our new TT. It is a little surreal considering how we started out...

My wife, who I met while in college, comes from a family that spent a lot of time together camping as a family. My family never went camping as it sounded like "work" and not "vacation." J and I would take a day trips to Peninsula State Park to go biking and hiking - never to camp. Then she popped the question - "Do you want to go camping?" So, in 1996 we loaded up an old Ford Aerostar with a Weimaraner, canvas tent, two sleeping bags, a camp stove, camp suds and sparse edibles and headed to Peninsula State Park for the weekend. After arguing with a 1960's boy scout tent and intentionally glaring at J with utter annoyance we set-up camp.

Turns out that trip was one of the best trips I ever took. It was a great weekend and I was hooked. As we took more trips to state parks in WI and MN, J and I became better at camping. Tent camping at Peninsula quickly became our favorite way to camp - the two of us and a Weimaraner named Wyatt.

20 years and 3 kids later with memories galore, the Aerostar became a 2012 Dodge Durango R/T. Our living quarters went from canvas to vinyl to Jayco pop-up to our new TT. WOW! We are very blessed and very excited to another chapter...

Thanks for reading... Happy Trails!
Welcome to the forum from S.E. WI .... You will find a wealth of info and ideas here.
MIKEPATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:22 AM   #5
yeabuddy

Welcome, also form SE Wisconsin. Great story. Congrats on the new trailer.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:07 AM   #6
Sduff

Great Story!! Greetings from Southern Illinois. Happy Camping!!

Steve
USAF Retired '96
Land of Lincoln

2013 Laredo 294RK
2015 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 (max tow package)
2013 Passport 2890RL (2003 Chevy Silverado LS ext cab)
1968 King Camper Popup
2008 Honda GoldWing/pulling a Aluma MCTXL cargo trailer
Sduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #7
J&A

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Outback Terrain! Thank you for sharing your story. It brought back great memories of our tent camping days, the kids' Scout camping trips and our Aerostar XL with the makeshift 12v television and built-in VCR (oh yeah baby!) strapped to a chessboard over the middle bench seat for long hauls... to the amazement and envy of traffic passing by.

Fair weather and happy camping days ahead!

In search of my next RV
SOLD! - 2013 Terrain 299TBH
SOLD! - 2002 Chevy Tahoe 5.3L
J&A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Smile

to the Forum From Western PA

CONGRATS on your camping accommodations upgrade

Enjoyed reading your story supports "Family that plays together stays together"

Enjoy and Happy Camping
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
wowchad

We're from WI too and love Peninsula State Park!
We also started out in an old canvas tent, (still have it too), then popup and just this past weekend bought our first TT. Wife says it's not much like camping anymore, but it's still a vacation. Kids have been sleeping out there almost every night since we brought it home!
2009 LOFT -HOPEFULLY-
wowchad is offline   Reply With Quote