Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2023, 02:36 PM   #1
adobronut

2014 Fuzion 371 Hangers bent

Hi Everyone

I somehow busted a right rear spring on my 2014 Fuzion 371 trailer. While at a trailer place they pointed out that my hangers were bent a bit. Has anyone ever noticed if their hangers are bent from factory or are they all (should be) straight down. Any comments would be appreciated. Some people have said not to worry but I don’t feel like being broke down on the Interstate again if I don’t have to. I will try to attach pics to show you all.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E86E612-BF76-4021-B74E-0E4646BF0699.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	42720   Click image for larger version

Name:	CE184D3F-8114-470F-A31E-7C1BDB3A31EF.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	42721   Click image for larger version

Name:	2482D696-E3E9-4D47-9998-C6484F4EC609.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	42722   Click image for larger version

Name:	74BF09B4-6AB2-4CE6-BA18-63B003FFEB54.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	42723  
adobronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 03:05 PM   #2
NH_Bulldog

I had one bend and snap on my trailer this past summer. Fortunately I found a shop near where we were camping 1,500 miles from home and they came out and fixed me up. After doing some research it appears a common issue. I ordered 3 MORryde X-Factor crossmember supports and will be installing them this spring before we hit the road for the summer. It is caused by tight turns and low-speed maneuvering that puts an incredible amount of lateral stress on the suspension, particularly the rear most axle.

Given the size and weight of your trailer, I would seriously look into adding some cross bracing to beef up the running gear
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A38D15FE-218D-438B-84A9-2C9769F0D47D.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	42724  
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 03:25 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Bent hangers typically come from turning (torquing) the wheels by backing at sharp angles on concrete or blacktop where the tires grip rather than slide across the surface...

Morryde produces the X-Factor crossmember to reinforce the spring hangers. https://www.morryde.com/products/x-factor-crossmember/ I found the best price on Amazon a couple years ago when I bought mine, but shop around, you may find better pricing somewhere else. On a trailer, you'll need "one crossmember per spring hanger" (not one per axle) so total for a dual axle trailer is three crossmembers. Expect to spend about $250 for parts.

Using them will "eliminate bent spring hangers, but installing them will transfer that "strong torque force" from the spring hangers to the "next weakest link" in the suspension. On your trailer, that could be the wheels, the tires, the spindle/hub and bearings or it could be the U-bolts that hold the axles to the springs, or, it "could be" any of the suspension components....

While it "could be weak spring hangers on your trailer", I'd suspect that if that were the "only cause" then we'd be hearing about lots of other owners with the same problem since that Lippert frame hanger and suspension system is used on most (if not all) of the heavy fifth wheels produced by Keystone.

I'd look at installing cross braces to prevent future hanger problems, but, as Robert posted above, I'd also try to determine why it happened and eliminate the cause as well as try to prevent it in the future.

ADDED: While you've got the suspension disassembled, this is an EXCELLENT time to install a wet bolt kit with bronze bushing and zerk fittings on the bolts. That way you're less likely to be "riding steel on steel" wearing your bolts, elongating your hanger holes and risking unnecessary wear on your suspension.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 03:46 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

John, I forgot to mention that sitting next to my 3 X-factors is a complete wet bolt kit (also waiting to be installed). The X-factor kit I bought includes a wet bolt on each end of the brace, so that is a plus. The average price per unit is now $147/ea
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 06:10 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
John, I forgot to mention that sitting next to my 3 X-factors is a complete wet bolt kit (also waiting to be installed). The X-factor kit I bought includes a wet bolt on each end of the brace, so that is a plus. The average price per unit is now $147/ea
Yep, the Xfactor crossmember end plate "backs up the spring hanger" so the standard wet bolts aren't long enough, so each cross member comes with two "longer wet bolts" to replace the standard ones. If you're going to do your own installation (I did mine, it's not difficult, as long as you have the tools) be sure to orient the new "wet bolts" so that the hole is to either side. If you orient it so the hole is down, it'll take extra pressure to get grease to flow into the space around the bronze bushing.

When I bought mine about 2.5 years ago, they were $89 each.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 12:47 PM   #6
adobronut

Thanks everyone for all of the info you have proivided and yes I will be enforcing the trailer up this year. Thanks for the idea and I will see where I can purchase this stuff in Canada and if not or hard to get take a good ol ride to the USA.

Cheers All

Ken
adobronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 01:20 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobronut View Post
Thanks everyone for all of the info you have proivided and yes I will be enforcing the trailer up this year. Thanks for the idea and I will see where I can purchase this stuff in Canada and if not or hard to get take a good ol ride to the USA.

Cheers All

Ken

These guys might be able to send you what you need;

https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=...r+crossmembers
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:23 PM   #8
Coach

Smile Bent hangers

I had some suspension issues on my 2007 Raptor 3612DS Toyhauler (triaxle) 2 years ago, Ugraded spring hangers, new equalizers, wet bolt kit. Dexter EZ Flex kit is name of it. Big difference in how it rides, Sametime I had a 1.5" square tubing welded between each set of the spring hangers. 6 in total. Idea is to stiffen suspension and speed torque. Recommended by shop that does hundreds of trailer axle / wheel alignments yearly. Yes they do get out of alignment and will wear out tires much faster.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuzion