Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2014, 06:24 AM   #1
teamtlr

Hello New Passport 3290BH and newbie tips

Hello members- Just wanted to drop in and say hello and thanks for all the tips on purchasing a new TT and what to look for. I picked ours up on Thursday and camped all weekend and we had a blast. Our shakedown trip was only 15 miles but was a enough to practice parking, turning, and testing the furnace, ac, hot water, plumbing, slides, wds unhitching, etc. Everything worked as advertised so I was impressed. Weather was high 80's and AC did not shut off much from 11am-7pm. Ignore the messy pictures.

Travel Trailer: 2015 Keystone Passport 3290bh ~6300lbs dry
Tow Vehicle: 2014 Tundra 4x4 no airbags. Pulled strong and straight
WDS and Sway: Blue Ox (so quiet and compared to equalizer)

Main tips I applied:
1. Underbelly inspection. I applied gorilla tape to underbelly edging to prevent water penetration. I also used spray foam to seal some open gaps from the factory. Outside shower box needs to be spray foamed from inside.
2. Purchased 2 additional scissor jacks from harbor freight and installed in front of the axles to help stabilize What a difference this made.
3. Open all access panels and cabinets and checked water fittings. My sink plumbing was snugged up a little better.
4. Tightened lugs nuts with Torque wrench
5. Checked all exterior and interior screws and snugged up. Found a few loose.
6. Purchased extra fuses to have on hand
7. Added a 90 degree water inlet to relieve pressure on city water connection
8. Added brass pressure regulator to inlet line and hose splitter.
9. Need to order insect screens for furnace, fridge, and hot water heater
10. Need to apply UV wax to shower skylight and vent covers to prevent discoloration
11. Need to order Maxair vent covers for rain protections
12. Need to order a marine battery shutoff switch
13. Need to order shocks for front bed instead of using a 2*4 to hold up mattress while accessing storage.
14. Installed bubble levels and used circle level on hitch for quick level view before final parking
15. Need to buy LP fuel gauge from wally world
16. Need to buy wheel scissors to prevent wheel roll
17. Purchased a clear sewer train elbow
18. Need to buy oneway brass valve to replace the plastic valve under sink that is likely to leak if not winterized correctly

Issues/Concerns:
1. Fit and finish was excellent considering all the issues I read on different models. The only issue we seen was 2 chipped wood areas that had touch up applied and 1 of the cub couch seem was separating. Hopefully warranty will fix the furniture issue.
2. No Range Hood venting to the outside of trailer. It only includes a charcoal filter.
3. Includes a nice single burner Aussie BBQ and hitch mount but its not practical way back there. I will probably relocate it

teamtlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:50 AM   #2
Flyguy

Welcome to the forum and congrads on the new camper! May I invite you as a Tundra owner to join our social group. Just sign in and click on the Community tab up top and then select Tundra Owners. There's lots to read and more helpful tips there. Again WELCOME.
Timbrens
Flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #3
therink

Welcome to the forum. There is nothing better in my book than getting a new RV and making it my own. Have fun and please continue to post your problems/questions, mods, lessons learned, etc. Sounds like you have gotten to know your rig well.
Don't forget to get out a ladder and closely inspect each linear inch of caulking to make sure there are no voids, cracks, or potential leak points. Pretend you are water and you want to get in via gravity. Staying on top of that is the best preventative maintenance one can do. Don't count on the fact that you are protected against leaks because it is new misnomer. The Keystone worker that built the unit doesn't care if it leaks as much as you do. Better yet, applying Eternabond on main seams is a great idea.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #4
teamtlr

Thank you flyguy and therink on the warm welcome. I will check out the tundra forum flyguy! Thanks for the pointer.

therink, the roof is one area that I need to get a handle on. I will look into the eternabond. Does the forum have any ways to prevent the skylights from fading? A lot of the old campers I see look horrible. I was thinking some UV protectant wax like I use on my vehicles.
teamtlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
therink

As far as the skylights go, I have heard the 303 protectant is good. I use NuFinish on everything in using the skylights and vent covers. The plastic used in the skylights is likely the cheapest money can buy and are good for maybe 5 yrs before they become brittle. I have seen aftermarket lucite skylights. They are pricier than the generic plexiglass ones but are likely more durable. If I ever have to replace mine I will likely pay the extra $ for lucite.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #6
GaryWT

Congrats and enjoy, here is to many happy trips.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #7
mom2budnbug

and congratulations! Glad to hear all went well on your test voyage.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
mom2budnbug is offline   Reply With Quote