Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-21-2020, 07:06 AM   #61
Tatanka Ob Waci

Roof Leak

Keystoned-Find a flex armor dealer, have them put a new roof on and you'll never have to deal with that issue again. Flex Armor is guaranteed for the life of the unit, even if you sell it to someone else. We had ours done three years ago, still looks like new and zero maintenance!
Tatanka Ob Waci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:29 AM   #62
Keystoned

I'm pretty sure I found the problem. That corner is tricky with the bend, wrinkles and such. So did an unconventional repair there by using weatherstrip and caulking cord, which appears to be a solid version of dicor. Working with it revealed it has the same feel as solidified dicor. So I filled that corner void with it until no more would fit, followed by self leveling dicor to fill the gap between it and the old dicor that was there, if any.
I also stuffed it into any voids along the cap and TPO along the top before covering with more dicor. I only managed almost half along the top before time ran out so I'll do more today in prep for a expected rain this weekend. Fingers crossed that the leak is fixed. I have a large tray on the bed platform to catch any leaks but I hope it will remain dry...
Old 02-21-2020, 07:42 AM   #63
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
I'm pretty sure I found the problem. That corner is tricky with the bend, wrinkles and such. So did an unconventional repair there by using weatherstrip and caulking cord, which appears to be a solid version of dicor. Working with it revealed it has the same feel as solidified dicor. So I filled that corner void with it until no more would fit, followed by self leveling dicor to fill the gap between it and the old dicor that was there, if any.
I also stuffed it into any voids along the cap and TPO along the top before covering with more dicor. I only managed almost half along the top before time ran out so I'll do more today in prep for a expected rain this weekend. Fingers crossed that the leak is fixed. I have a large tray on the bed platform to catch any leaks but I hope it will remain dry...

Hope you got it! Good luck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 07:42 AM   #64
chuckster57
Site Team

Fingers crossed here for you.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:04 AM   #65
tonysr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
I am getting so pissed by what I am finding. I have a running list that is wearing me down but just noticed the bed was wet. We had rain and snow the day before so I'm thinking a leak near where the roof meets the cap. I didn't actually see the water path but there is evidence that this has been going on for a while. The wrapping has come loose and torn around some of the 'wood' pieces above the bed and closet.
So looking on the roof it appears a repair had been attempted before, with silicone! The PO swears up and down there were no leaks and everything worked and I'm calling BS. They are either ignorant, dumb or lying, maybe all 3.
Anyway. The silicone points to that joint and other areas where it was used.
Advice on repair is appreciated...
This might help you with your leaking roof and it explains how to identify your type of roof you have and to maintain it. http://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-roo...s-care-rubber/
tonysr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 08:26 AM   #66
Keystoned

Thanks for the good wishes, I hope so too. If not, at least I now know more about how it is put together...
I still need to deal with the rubber screw cover and area in front of that on the cap. I was thinking of cleaning and conditioning the rubber unless I can find replacement material easily and affordably.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #67
Keystoned

Good news...got it all done. Bad news...there were a couple of small spots where I saw some wood. So either there was a hole in the TPO there or they came up just short of enough TPO. Either way, the wood looked normal and not rotted so I made sure there was extra dicor on that area with no clear water path.
The other corner also had a huge gap to be filled and there were a few places along the top where there were gaps also. I would call these factory defects...it may have leaked from day one.
The rubber cover that goes over the metal strip and screws does not look salvageable. Any ideas where to get new stuff?
The butyl tape under the metal strip was only about an inch wide, btw.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:45 AM   #68
Keystoned

The rubber cover that goes over the metal strip and screws does not look salvageable. Any ideas where to get new stuff?
Not even sure what it is called so I can search online...the metal strip is 5/8" wide.
Maybe this?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/0-75-x-10-f...MAAOSwGzlTvXQ7
Old 02-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #69
sourdough
Site Team

Can you find what you need here?

https://www.trekwood.com/parts-searc...arch-keywords=
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #70
Keystoned

Maybe so, as long as I don't have to buy a 200' roll, lol
Thanks for the link.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #71
JRTJH
Site Team

Most RV dealerships with a parts department will have both the "thin vinyl screw strip insert" and the heavier "snap-on trim cover" in stock. The thin stuff comes in two sizes, is about $5 for a 25 foot roll, the heavier trim cover comes in 8' strips and is about $6-7 a strip.

With either type, don't try to install it when it's cold. It'll be a "bear" to get in the aluminum molding, won't bend around corners well and will probably look "bad enough to redo it" once the weather warms up. I'd either wait till a warm spring day or warm it up with an overnight in a hot room and "rush your install job so it stays pliable while you're working with it.

With either type, you'll need to anchor the ends with a screw. Don't forget to cover the screw head with DICOR sealant so it won't leak.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 04:27 PM   #72
Keystoned

Thanks, again.
My strip is almost 9 feet. I wonder if it is used else where on my 5W...stuff gets old.
I'll probably need both kinds as there are missing pieces on the sides.
Old 02-22-2020, 08:25 PM   #73
JRTJH
Site Team

The thicker rigid molding cover is also sold in 16' lengths. I didn't realize what you were replacing was that long. Any RV dealership should have it available. Maybe not in the specific color you need to "match the faded stuff" but close enough that only a "nit picker" would notice the difference LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-23-2020, 08:16 AM   #74
Keystoned

I'll call a couple of places tomorrow and take a section with me...
Good news so far, we've had rain for the last 24 hours and no leak on the bed area. It was just drizzle and sprinkle, not a hard rain.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:18 AM   #75
chuckster57
Site Team

Sounds very encouraging!! Hopefully you'll be able to take it out on a trip soon. Keep at it, Quality work doesn't happen in a hurry.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:23 AM   #76
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The thicker rigid molding cover is also sold in 16' lengths. I didn't realize what you were replacing was that long. Any RV dealership should have it available. Maybe not in the specific color you need to "match the faded stuff" but close enough that only a "nit picker" would notice the difference LOL
Wow the cleaning and removal of silicone made the repair open up and difficult. It looks to be some roof rot.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:36 AM   #77
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
Wow the cleaning and removal of silicone made the repair open up and difficult. It looks to be some roof rot.
Difficult repair? That's up to the person doing the repair to judge. As for the evidence of "roof rot", the OP stated in post #67, " the wood looked normal and not rotted so I made sure there was extra dicor on that area with no clear water path."

Given that statement, I wouldn't suspect that there is any "roof rot" seen.

My post that you quoted is in reference to vinyl trim cover being sun faded and brittle. It has nothing to do with "roof rot".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 02-23-2020, 09:56 AM   #78
Keystoned

I would not call it difficult, just time consuming. Like other repairs I have not done before, it starts out difficult and by the end it becomes easy. The last few feet along the top were the easiest and quickest.
The 2 dime size areas of wood I saw looked pristine. It was only because I removed dicor material that they were exposed. What was disappointing was that it appeared that there were several inches of gaps not sealed from day one that lead to eventual leaking.
Some previous owner noticed it and who knows who used silicone, which might have worked for a while. Either the guy I bought it from really didn't notice leaks or really lied about it. What comes around...
Anyway, thanks to all the advice offered here. I hope it is done with except for the rubber screw cover trim. I'll be looking for that today.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:14 AM   #79
Keystoned

Found both kinds of screw cover trim, just waiting for warm weather. Cold and windy here today...
Old 02-29-2020, 07:27 AM   #80
Keystoned

Beautiful day yesterday so I finished the roof project, I hope. Also touched up cracks and bubbles in the dicor, which should be an annual thing, right?

Tags
leak, roof