Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #1
LewisB

Generator Auto-Start Voltage Level

We have a 2018 Raptor 353TS that includes the "Pro-Plus" iN-Command system as well as a 5500W Onan/Cummins generator. One of the things I liked about this system, purchased in early 2019, was the ability of the generator to be able to self-start based on low battery voltage. Running the gas heater (& blower) during the night, using the inverter to watch TV or be charging camera batteries, etc. all seemed to be possible knowing that when the batteries (2 deep cycle AGM) were getting low, the generator would start, run for an hour, and then shut down all automatically. In practice, the system works as intended and is great...

EXCEPT...on our last boondocking trip, I actually monitored this situation. It turns out, the auto-start condition is only initiated AFTER the battery level has been at 11.8Vdc for a minute or two. In practice, I saw our battery levels dropping to something like 11.6Vdc several times. The generator starts and runs on a timer for an hour. It then shuts down, tests the voltage, and then either restarts or waits until the voltage drops again.

QUESTION? Everything I read would suggest that discharging deep cycle AGM batteries down to 11.8Vdc on a regular basis will destroy the batteries. I called ASA (who has been super for customer support) and asked if there were settings that I could change that would initiate a generator re-start at a higher voltage (like 12.1 Vdc). According to ASA, this can not be changed either by the user or by ASA. It seems odd that they would design this system to allow the batteries to be destroyed in the process. I'm wondering if I have missed some important fact! I have a formal inquiry in to their technical department regarding this programming and I will keep you all posted in this issue.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? Am I misguided or overlooking some important fact? Any feedback or corrections to my thinking would be appreciated.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator