Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2023, 08:41 AM   #1
JBM3M

Attwood heater sail switch opinions....

My heater quit again when I was using it. Not the board this time, it is an intermittent sail switch issue. Not sure whether to just replace it or go with it, buy messing with it it started working again. It is a real female dog to get to this part of the heater unit. Would you just replace it or see how it goes? I do have alternate means of heating. I really cannot find anything wrong with the switch, no crap or anything.

2018 Cougar 1/2 ton 28sgs,
2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
JBM3M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 09:11 AM   #2
JBM3M

It inexpensive and apparently the mount has issues, so I ordered one, no sense in working harder

2023 F350 SD, Crew, long bed, gooseneck puck, 5th (B&W Companion), and Class V bumper hitch. 6.7 PowerStroke.
Old 05-25-2023, 01:58 PM   #3
jsb5717

Just curious why you believe that it's the sail switch. What's it doing or not doing when you set the thermostat for heat? If it ignites or attempts to ignite then it's not the sail switch.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 02:20 PM   #4
JBM3M

Well I reset and tried it and the error code was sail switch. Took it out and manually operated it and everything works fine. Then tried it back in and it wouldn't work, so banged the switch and it worked. Now it works all the time, but it is such a you know what to get at, I just don't want to have it go again when I am using it. Thanks.

Old 05-25-2023, 05:01 PM   #5
firestation12

My last 5er’s sail switch was installed such that the air flow was parallel to the flat surface of the sail switch’s paddle arm. The only way I could see it would work is by a “coanda effect” (sort of like a an airplanes wing deriving lift by airflow across a curved surface. The sail switch would be intermittent at times in creating a closed circuit. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to create a 20 degree twist on the paddle’s arm that gave the air current a direct hit on the switch’s paddle. And that was the last time I had trouble. Or just try a new switch. Might be a better safety thing than what I did. Desperate times often accompany desperate measures.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2023, 01:38 PM   #6
KenSC

Hopefully this helps. Attached are the flash codes from the manual.
My issue just today was the sail switch and I did just what was said by firestation12. I bent the switch a bit to make better contact.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Diagnostics Flash Codes.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	233.7 KB
ID:	44056  
Clover SC
KenSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater