Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2023, 08:10 AM   #1
jasin1

WDH Noise

Out of curiosity do all weight distribution hitches sound like a Uboat that went far below their safe dive limits ? A TT left the campground this morning and made a turn and the clanking ,groaning and squeaking made me want to take cover. I thought something was about to fly apart. I had one years ago but never remember that much noise

Edit: just saw there is another wdh post. Mods can move this one if they want to
Old 05-23-2023, 08:30 AM   #2
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Out of curiosity do all weight distribution hitches sound like Uboat that went far below the safe dive limits ? A TT left the campground this morning and made a turn and the clanking ,groaning and squeaking made me want to take cover. I thought something was about to fly apart. I had one years ago but never remember that much noise

Edit: just saw there is another wdh post. Mods can move this one if they want to
I described a similar noise in another post months ago from a 1/2 ton & TT pulling in, using what I believed was an Equalizer that wasn't lubed. I know mine made some noise until I re-read the manual and applied lube as prescribed. All better after that.
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 10:30 AM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk's Keystone Outback. View Post
I described a similar noise in another post months ago from a 1/2 ton & TT pulling in, using what I believed was an Equalizer that wasn't lubed. I know mine made some noise until I re-read the manual and applied lube as prescribed. All better after that.
well that may explain it …thanks
Old 05-23-2023, 11:25 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

An Equalizer unlubed can make quite a bit of noise. Properly lubed and the use of the L bracket covers nearly eliminates the noise completely. They aren't the only ones that make noise however. I've seen/heard others that are just as loud but did seem to use the same type of friction control. There's a place we stay in MS that has a long, winding gravel road traveled at 5mph or so. A TT came in one time that I swear you could hear as soon as they turned off the pavement a half mile away or so. We always stay right at the entrance so he went by and it was horrendous. It was not an Equalizer but did have similar type L bars. I was glad we left the next morning before they did.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 11:48 AM   #5
LHaven

I use a ProPride on this rig, but had a standard WDH on my last with actual "friction bars." You specifically weren't supposed to lube the bars because the friction WAS your anti-sway mechanism. So every time we turned a corner, we sounded like a Bangladeshi bus.
Old 05-23-2023, 12:21 PM   #6
Kirk's Keystone Outback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
I use a ProPride on this rig, but had a standard WDH on my last with actual "friction bars." You specifically weren't supposed to lube the bars because the friction WAS your anti-sway mechanism. So every time we turned a corner, we sounded like a Bangladeshi bus.
Ya bringing back memories now.
I use to use (2) Reese Friction Bars on my traditional WD with chains, and they made a noticeable noise, and you had to disconnect them when backing in.
I did get a great "visual" of the noise after you mentioned "Bangladeshi bus".
Kirk's Keystone Outback. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 12:52 PM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
Old 05-23-2023, 03:17 PM   #8
markcee

Sorry to disturb you this morning Jasin....that was probably me leaving the campground.

I have 'sway bracket jackets' and clean and lube my Equal-i-Zer regularly at the points specified in the manual (there are also helpful stickers on the head to indicate the correct spots). One of these areas is where the sockets tuck into the head. I actually put a bar in place and swing the sockets out as far as possible, clean up the old grease/grit and ensure I hit up the entire area. Despite all this, my Equal-i-Zer still pops, groans and squeaks at low speeds, particularly during turns. While keeping it greased does eliminate some noise, it would be much worse 'dry'.

According to the Equal-i-Zer site, this is completely normal and occurs when the WDH is under tension.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 03:47 PM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
Sorry to disturb you this morning Jasin....that was probably me leaving the campground.

I have 'sway bracket jackets' and clean and lube my Equal-i-Zer regularly at the points specified in the manual (there are also helpful stickers on the head to indicate the correct spots). One of these areas is where the sockets tuck into the head. I actually put a bar in place and swing the sockets out as far as possible, clean up the old grease/grit and ensure I hit up the entire area. Despite all this, my Equal-i-Zer still pops, groans and squeaks at low speeds, particularly during turns. While keeping it greased does eliminate some noise, it would be much worse 'dry'.

According to the Equal-i-Zer site, this is completely normal and occurs when the WDH is under tension.
…yeah this rig noise was compounded i guess because they left the end of the row site and immediately had to make a right turn…one giant Uturn just to pull out of the site itself…all the other sites on that row you drive straight for a while till the right exit turn…all asphalt so tires just gripped and didn’t slide any
Old 05-23-2023, 04:32 PM   #10
Bill-2020

Yup - The curt WDH I had groaned under tension.

We were leaving a site a few months ago and I had the window down, made a turn and the swaying gravel road and the 5th wheel leaning a bit one way then the other made some noises similar to WDH and I knew it was the suspension. I ordered the wet bolt kit that morning, and have since installed it. Noises now gone. Point being, it's not all the hitch, it can be suspension too. (I was glad to see that Dexter had put bronze bushings in versus the plastic, but it is a heavier camper compared to the old Passport.
I still put the new bushings in anyway.)
Old 05-24-2023, 05:40 AM   #11
jxnbbl

Laughed when I read this. In the Fall of 2020 when I pulled out of the dealer with my first trailer and an equalizer hitch I stopped within 100yds to make sure everything was attached. I can still hear that left hand turn out of the parking lot.

After I got home I ordered some of the equalizer lube as well as wear pads and haven't really thought about it since.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 05:41 AM   #12
drrelli

Every RV dealer must have the same “left hand turn” out of the lot. Our tech warned us that we would hear it and not to worry, or we would have stopped too!
Old 05-30-2023, 10:25 AM   #13
Papsmagee

Like many who have replied to this, I got a laugh out of it. We have a Centerline TS that screams at us and all near us when I am either backing into the space or pulling out. Sometimes I remove it before entering a campground or put it on after leaving. I'm wondering what everyone thinks about not using any WD Hitch? Several people at our dealership have suggested that we don't really need one.

How about you?
Papsmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 11:54 AM   #14
Bill-2020

If your dealer said, suggested, hinted or even motioned that you don’t need a WDH, you should find a new dealer.
Seriously- find a dealer who knows better.
Old 05-30-2023, 11:57 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papsmagee View Post
Like many who have replied to this, I got a laugh out of it. We have a Centerline TS that screams at us and all near us when I am either backing into the space or pulling out. Sometimes I remove it before entering a campground or put it on after leaving. I'm wondering what everyone thinks about not using any WD Hitch? Several people at our dealership have suggested that we don't really need one.

How about you?
Short Answer: NOPE

Reasoning is:

I'd have to ask if these are the same people who sold a Springdale with an inverter? Maybe those who told a customer that his truck would tow "anything on the lot". Or maybe the salesman that told a customer that his GP24 battery would run the trailer's air conditioner "if you install a 2,000 watt inverter that we have on sale." ?????

As for towing anything behind a Toyota Tundra that weighs more than 5,000 pounds or has a tongue weight greater than 500 pounds without a weight distribution hitch, Toyota says: NO, Don't do it...

Don't believe me? Read this article from Tundra Headquarters, not affiliated with Toyota Motors, but considered a "well versed Tundra authority"...
https://tundraheadquarters.com/2015-...ra-towing-lbs/

Or, maybe just check the rating decal on the receiver mounted under your truck. It'll likely say, "Max weights without WD hitch: 500/5000.

Your 202QB "empty hitch weight" is 550 according to Keystone's "website". In reality, it's probably at least 25% more than that....

Those people at your dealership were more likely to have been selling water softeners last week than not.... I'd discount their "expert advice" as worth about half as much as their advice on how to do heart surgery.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TOYOTA TUNDRA TOWING.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	44063  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2023, 12:44 PM   #16
Papsmagee

Thanks, John. Fortunately, I've not made the mistake of going without the WDH even when folks suggest I can "get by" without it. But their suggestions just made me wondering what you folks who use them think about this idea. Glad you didn't mince words on it, because I was genuinely "considering" the idea. Now not at all!!

Appreciate it.

Bill
Papsmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 03:47 AM   #17
KJJ

"Splurging" on my Blue Ox WD "sway prevention" hitch was the best thing I did when I bought my Passport 238ML. Towing it with an unmodified stock 2000 Chevy conversion full size van it has never swayed, even when passing/being passed by semis or downhill coasting/braking.
Old 06-07-2023, 11:38 AM   #18
mskeyspirate

My understanding that you can not lube an equalizer weight distribution hitch. Lube would decrease the friction that the bars provide, making it much less effective as far as anti sway. That friction is your stability when towing !
mskeyspirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 12:12 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskeyspirate View Post
My understanding that you can not lube an equalizer weight distribution hitch. Lube would decrease the friction that the bars provide, making it much less effective as far as anti sway. That friction is your stability when towing !

FYI

https://www.equalizerhitch.com/manua...-owners-manual

Edit: Thought the link was to the maintenance page but it's not. Click on the maintenance tab on the left side.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 12:51 PM   #20
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskeyspirate View Post
There are some brands of hitch where you don't lube specific surfaces on the anti-sway components for this reason, but there are still other areas that have to be lubed.