Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2020, 05:15 PM   #1
On the Job

First Time - Full Time - But only for <6 Months

We are planning a major renovation of our newly acquired farmhouse that will be unlivable for up to 6 months. We are hoping to get a usable bathroom within the first 2-3 months. My plan is to "live" in our Springdale 296BH on the property next to the garage during the reno. I've been trying to plan for every aspect of this that I can. It's going to be tricky because March and April can see temps below freezing in Upstate, NY but usually only at night and not a long term dangerous freeze to damage pipes.

Obviously, the black water tank poses the most challenge. I'm building a sturdy 33 gallon waste tank to transport the waste to the septic tank when needed. I wish I could put the trailer close and connected to the septic tank but not possible. Electric is all set with a 30 amp RV outlet installed. Cable/internet will run into the garage and then to the trailer. City water I have a rubber garden hose wrapped in 1" pipe insulation with a heated roof cable zip tied to the hose. I plan on skirting the trailer with scrap plywood I have around the farm.

I have extra 30# propane tanks that I can swap out. I wanted to tie into the main 500 gallon propane tank but way too much work for 2 months of cold weather. Also just not close enough. I'm going to build wooden steps up to the door to have something more sturdy to enter/exit. We are going to empty out the 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 car garage for extra living, storage, cooking space.

What am I missing? My wife and friends think we're crazy. I own a 34' boat which have many similar systems so I am use to most of maintaining and dealing with what comes with that. We are also trying to occupy our weekends different places to break it up and stay at the trailer during the week.

Okay I am ready for suggestions:
On the Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:53 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You might consider a Flojet macerator instead of your portable 33 gallon black tank system. For about $150 or so and a couple of old 3/4" garden hoses, you can pump the gray and black water from your trailer to the septic tank cleanout. It'll be much more "sanitary" than spilling a load of black contents as you dump and much "lighter on the back" not having to push/pull/lift/wrestle that 33 gallon monster.

Here's a description of what I'm talking about:

In the video, he just "pushes the garden hose down the sewer outlet"... I'd suggest buying a twist-on fitting and a 3/4" garden hose cap so you can essentially have a "closed system" from the trailer to the sewer cleanout.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:42 PM   #3
On the Job

The trailer is 175' from the septic tank. It would be a downhill run, maybe 4-5' drop for the 175' run. I bet it could work with gravity helping. I'd have to sacrifice some older 5/8" older hose I had laying around hoping it'd work or buy some new 3/4" for $120. The waste trailer I am designing will be on an existing trailer with 12" tires towed by an ATV on a 1-7/8" ball. All gravity fed. No lifting or dragging. I'd rather figure a way to pump it instead of transporting it.
On the Job is offline   Reply With Quote