Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2013, 07:13 AM   #1
lspajm

keeping critters out....

My RV dealer where we bought out travel trailer told me to put flea collars in the outside access to the refridgerator and water heater to keep bugs and rodents out -- does this really work?

Anyone have any better solutions for when your RV sits for months not being used (over the winter primarily).

Inside - i placed some glue traps with de-con in them in case anything gets inside -- anyone have good sughestions or ideas? thanks!

-Andy from South-Central Pennsylvania
2010 Ford F-250 Diesel FX4, Crew Cab, 6.5 ft bed
lspajm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

If you do a forum search on this subject you will find many answers to your questions from Bay Leaves to drier sheets. The best advise is sealing all entry points. As for the Decon .... it is a BAIT and may actually draw rodents through unsealed entry points. Remove ALL food and clean well before storage and you should be okay. JM2¢, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
Bigsky3625

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
If you do a forum search on this subject you will find many answers to your questions from Bay Leaves to drier sheets. The best advise is sealing all entry points. As for the Decon .... it is a BAIT and may actually draw rodents through unsealed entry points. Remove ALL food and clean well before storage and you should be okay. JM2¢, Hank
X2! Don't invite them in!!
One Wife

Bigsky3625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
davidjsimons

I put some killer called Just One Bite in a piece of PVC pipe outside of the RV behind my garage. I agree, don't put bait inside the unit, it will draw them in. I put the poison in a piece of pipe to keep my dog from getting in to it. I then weighted the pipe down to keep the dog from moving it and removing the poison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
FireMech

Arrow

This has worked for me so far...

1. Be sure the area you park is mowed down, clean, etc.
2. Clean the heck out of the interior- wipe everything down with cleaner
3. Seal off all entry points with steel wool, caulking, etc.
4. I use Bounce brand dryer sheets everywhere, and I mean everywhere, and add more every 2-3 weeks. I probably have 600 sheets in there right now...
5. I use the Ketch-All brand wind up mouse traps, no bait. 1 in the storage area and 1 near the kitchen
6. I don't use bait or moth balls because my dogs travel with me. If you have small kids I would advise not too either.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #6
chuck&gail

I've used flea collar pieces, say pieces 4" long each, for years to keep bugs out. It sure works for us.

As for mice, we use ultrasonics under the TT to keep critters out. Have since we been using hardsided TT's, over a dozen years. Even though we can watch birds and foxes catch mice in our front yard (yes we live rurally) we have never had a mouse in our TT.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
bigracenut

I place a few "sticky" traps inside the camper during winter, but have never caught anything...... i place moth balls under the camper and around the shed its parked under, and also spray a "water and bleach" mix around the outside of the camper and the camper shed....... no creachtures inside yet!
bigracenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:45 AM   #8
upstateny5er

bugs and rodents

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspajm View Post
My RV dealer where we bought out travel trailer told me to put flea collars in the outside access to the refridgerator and water heater to keep bugs and rodents out -- does this really work?

Anyone have any better solutions for when your RV sits for months not being used (over the winter primarily).

Inside - i placed some glue traps with de-con in them in case anything gets inside -- anyone have good sughestions or ideas? thanks!

-Andy from South-Central Pennsylvania
sometimes dryer sheets work, plus smells good when you open up for season
upstateny5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
haffcke

mouse's

have had trouble with mice for years, bated them, mouse traps, super cleaning, nothing worked unit parked inside, last year started putting mothballs exterior only under unit and dryer sheets all over inside, have not added any more dryer sheets yet and not a single mouse this year.
haffcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by haffcke View Post
have had trouble with mice for years, bated them, mouse traps, super cleaning, nothing worked unit parked inside, last year started putting mothballs exterior only under unit and dryer sheets all over inside, have not added any more dryer sheets yet and not a single mouse this year.
Sweet!!! Sounds like a good plan..
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #11
lightning79

I put in a ton of dryer sheets, so we'll see how that works. The man at a KOA told me that shredded Irish Spring soap works well. Interesting!

Tags
critters, flea collar, rodents, winter