Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
harpoon

Replacement caulking

I have an '04 Cougar and it is beginning to look it's age. I am in the process of replacing the insert trim and the caulking looks kinda nasty also. Does anyone here have a particular favorite that works well on the sides of these campers? I could go with what the manufacturers tell me, but would rather appeal to the guys who have done it and eliminate all the hype. I know latex won't discolor the way silicone does, but outside of that, I'm open for suggestions. Anyone?
harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
SteveC7010

If you are talking about the caulking used on window, door, compartment, and other installations in the trailer, the manufacturer uses butyl putty tape about an inch wide that is laid on frame of the window or door before it is inserted into the trailer wall. It squeezes out a bit when they tighten up the screws, and will continue to squeeze somewhat over the life of the trailer.

If you need to replace it, plan to remove the window (or door or whatever) and take off all the old putty tape, replacing it with new.

There's a bit of an art to getting the window (door or whatever) out so before I go any further, perhaps you'd give us a better idea of what you want to do.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
harpoon

I'm not taking windows out or any of that. I just want to replace the discolored caulking around them. I will remove what I can of the old and clean the surface, but have no intentions of pulling windows or compartment doors. I'm just trying to clean things up a bit. The trailer doesn't leak at all and I'm not looking to invite trouble.
Old 09-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I'm not taking windows out or any of that. I just want to replace the discolored caulking around them. I will remove what I can of the old and clean the surface, but have no intentions of pulling windows or compartment doors. I'm just trying to clean things up a bit. The trailer doesn't leak at all and I'm not looking to invite trouble.
OK, I'd suggest just cleaning it well with something like Totally Awesome. If you are not up for removing the windows (or whatever) and replacing the caulk, it would better to leave well enough alone.

You can't really surface caulk those joints very well. But, if you must, try a butyl caulk first. The putty tape caulking that is already there is a butyl compound so you'd get as good adhesion as you're going to get. But caulk likes to have two surfaces to adhere to. The window (etc.) frames are so thin that there is no material for the caulk to cling to on that side of the joint.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
therink

Whatever brand you use, make sure it is a eurethane based caulk made for rv's, not silicone based. I like Proflex lap sealant. It is tough as nails, but sets up quick so you have to apply small areas at a time. Apply dish soap on your finger when smoothing out the bead. Make sure to remove as much old caulk as possible and clean with acetone first.
Steve

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:53 AM   #6
harpoon

Thanks for the suggestions. This is what I was looking for.
Bilstein, Reese R20