Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2021, 09:12 PM   #101
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneeslider View Post
if the china bombs are dangerous & they are based on personal experience why hasn't DOT banned them?

Any one out there work for DOT or know someone who does put a bug in their ear about this issue.

As for me I'm writing my congress person. Time to get the Chinese crap off the shelf!
Good luck with that!
The issue is they are the approved size & load rating for each RV by RVIA but are the cheapest to buy by the shipping container full.
I'd also bet if you send such a letter to your congressman 1st of they won't have clue what you're talking about & 2nd will turn around & file it in file 13.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:14 PM   #102
lcarver02

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
The highest load capacity 16" LRE Michelin LT tire suitable for service on trailer axles is the LT235/85R16. It has a maximum load capacity of 3042# at 80 PSI. The ST235/85R16 LRE has a maximum load capacity of 3640# at 80 PSI.

According to tire industry standards, replacement tires MUST have a load capacity equal to or greater than the load capacity of the OE tires at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold inflation pressures.
Excellent points and thank you. You are right, you always must use a tire that is rated at the capacity stated by the manufacturer. Be sure to always get a tire that meets or exceeds the weight capacity for your trailer. Always be sure to check tires visually all the way around for nails and bulges, air to max pressure, and I always keep at least 3/32 in tread.
lcarver02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:26 PM   #103
Hayfield

Anyone tried the Carlisle brand tires? Discount Tire rates them the same (best) as the Goodyear tires. Both have the same load capacity (3638) with the Goodyear having a higher speed rating. $70 price difference per tire.
Hayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 05:24 AM   #104
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
Anyone tried the Carlisle brand tires? Discount Tire rates them the same (best) as the Goodyear tires. Both have the same load capacity (3638) with the Goodyear having a higher speed rating. $70 price difference per tire.
The load range letter system is the only official load capacity identifier for all LT & ST tires. The load index numbers on LT & ST tires are there for speed letter displays, the medium for displaying a tires speed rating. A load index 125L has a speed rating of 75 MPH (“L” = 75 MPH).

For some ST tires the actual speed rating may be written (molded) into the tire sidewall. Any ST tire without a speed letter or written speed rating on their sidewalls will automatically default to a speed rating of 65 MPH. (There is no speed letter for 65 MPH).
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:12 AM   #105
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Search "Carlisle " on the forum search and you will quickly see the popularity of the brand.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 08:16 AM   #106
Hayfield

Carlisle Tires

I recently requested comments on Carlisle trailer tires. Please disregard my question as the Carlisle trailer tires are still manufactured in China (as per a web search). I will be purchasing Goodyear Eagles for my new Cougar 316RLS before the first trip.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:23 AM   #107
CWtheMan

Quote:
I recently requested comments on Carlisle trailer tires. Please disregard my question as the Carlisle trailer tires are still manufactured in China (as per a web search). I will be purchasing Goodyear Eagles for my new Cougar 316RLS before the first trip.
If you're fishing for information about the proper replacement tires for your 2021 trailer you're probably going to get more than you asked for by indicating you're going to use GY Eagles. They can be passenger or light truck tires but not trailer tires.

You will violate at least two major tire safety precautions when using any GY Eagles that will fit in your wheelwells. Misapplication - wrong designated size. Load capacity - the replacement tires must be capable of providing a load capacity equal to or greater than what the vehicle manufacturer has recommended and certified.

See the GY RV tire replacement SOPs.

Read your trailer's owner's manual.

Research the USTMA PDF file for proper tire care and replacements of RV tires.

According to the specs I found for your trailer it has vehicle certified 5200# axles and came equipped with ST235/80R16 LRE tires which provide much more load capacity reserves then you will ever use.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:41 AM   #108
Hayfield

GY Tire Mistake

I made a mistake on the specific tire in my last post. The tire I will be purchasing will be the GY Endurance trailer tire. The specific tire will have a load rating that meets or exceeds the currently installed Trailer King tires. I wasn’t necessarily asking for specifics on load or speed ratings, I was asking for opinions from those who have owned the those two brands of tires that I mentioned. However, I thank you for your response concerning the technical specifics of trailer tires.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:10 PM   #109
CWtheMan

Quote:
I made a mistake on the specific tire in my last post. The tire I will be purchasing will be the GY Endurance trailer tire. The specific tire will have a load rating that meets or exceeds the currently installed Trailer King tires. I wasn’t necessarily asking for specifics on load or speed ratings, I was asking for opinions from those who have owned the those two brands of tires that I mentioned. However, I thank you for your response concerning the technical specifics of trailer tires.
Sometimes there is a bug in the ointment.

The Trailer King ST235/80R16 LRE provides 3520# of load capacity at 80 PSI.

The GY Endurance ST235/80R16 LRE provides 3420# of load capacity at 80 PSI.

However, there is an out if you want to go that way. FMVSS addresses that topic and ruled that tires of the same designated size and load range with different load capacities at the same PSI will default to the lowest load capacity. There is a caveat, the vehicle manufacturer may use the highest load capacity with a letter of approval from NHTSA.

On numerous occasions, Keystone used ST235/80R16 LRE tires on trailers with vehicle certified 7000# axles with NHTSA approval.

Those fitments - no matter what brand - had a history of very early catastrophic failures with thousands of $$$ in trailer damages.

There is an error in the certification label below. It was reported numerous times but Keystone never did a placard recall.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Keystone 2-23-21 .jpg
Views:	58
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	34331
Old 06-28-2021, 04:21 PM   #110
gearhead

Quote:
WalMart.com usually has the best price.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 04:51 PM   #111
lcarver02

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Seems you are finding your truth in a bottle! Goodyear Endurance is US made. Carlisle Radial HD camper tires are made in the Far East but the difference between their manufacture and Trailer Kings seems to be direct US supervision and quality control. Trailer Kings are likely cheapest to mount on Keystone trailers and a few other similar brands. Guess a better use of your writing skills is to write Keystone and tell them you would be willing to pay for better quality tires in your new camper purchase. Would Keystone listen? Dunno. I use face masks when I media blast and paint. N95 masks work well. There is a mask called the KN95 which the CDC OKAY'd for use when the N95 got scarse during the plauge. Read the Amazon disclaimer:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...Y8ADPEZ623KWSN
When you look at KN95 mask ads on Amazon many will claim FDA approved. Right.
I agree it is Keystone who needs to make a big change and start listening to their customers. The use of China Bombs needs to stop. Thanks for listening Keystone.
Old 06-29-2021, 05:46 PM   #112
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarver02 View Post
I agree it is Keystone who needs to make a big change and start listening to their customers. The use of China Bombs needs to stop. Thanks for listening Keystone.

The issue is that when the "customers" WANT what you are providing and then will protest (not buy) your products over this or that....you go with what sells. Keystone has listened, and is listening, to the customers' pocketbooks which aren't closing over "China Bombs".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 05:50 PM   #113
lcarver02

Quote:
They are the same as other poor quality tires. They simply do not last and will fail. I had a hybrid Tent Trailer by Starcraft with these. They were worn out in 8,000 miles. and had a slipped belt. I would use them on my wheelbarrow, but not a trailer.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:06 PM   #114
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
They are the same as other poor quality tires. They simply do not last and will fail. I had a hybrid Tent Trailer by Starcraft with these. They were worn out in 8,000 miles. and had a slipped belt. I would use them on my wheelbarrow, but not a trailer.

Starcraft tent trailer? Do they even make those anymore...or in the last ???? years? Carlisle is probably one of the better/best brands out there for RVs these days notwithstanding some quality issues many, many years ago.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:06 PM   #115
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I have to disagree with your assessment of Carlisle ST tires. Your experience mirrors many "who had issues with Carlisle trailer tires "YEARS AGO"...

Today's Carlisle Radial Trail HD tire and the previous generator Radial Trail RH are both excellent ST tires. I've had 3 sets in the past 12 years and have had "zero" problems. Others on this forum have had similar results. I know of only one post commenting on a problem with Carlisle ST tires in the past 10 years.

At approximately $200 per set less than Goodyear Endurance tires, they are a "bargain that performs as well as the much higher priced ST tires"....

As with any post, YMMV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 07:48 PM   #116
lcarver02

Quote:
Hope you got rid of the Trailer Kings, very poor tires. If not get rid of them now, a very good tire is the Goodyear Endurance Load E. Not much more expensive. Ten times the tire. Could do a TPMS system if you want to watch them. Excellent American Made tire with great wear. Never running a Trailer King again.
Another 1500 miles and these tires are great (Goodyear Endurance). Excellent handling, smooth driving, and great wear. Will buy again and if I buy an RV from a Mfgr. it WILL have these tires or no deal.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:55 PM   #117
lcarver02

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Starcraft tent trailer? Do they even make those anymore...or in the last ???? years? Carlisle is probably one of the better/best brands out there for RVs these days notwithstanding some quality issues many, many years ago.
Check out their website before you bash someone. Obviously uninformed, and yes Carlisle still has poor quality tires. Do some online checking - you will find the truth there. Your right, my Starcraft was a 2007, but a nice trailer with cheap tires OEM.
Old 06-30-2021, 06:57 AM   #118
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Check out their website before you bash someone. Obviously uninformed, and yes Carlisle still has poor quality tires. Do some online checking - you will find the truth there. Your right, my Starcraft was a 2007, but a nice trailer with cheap tires OEM.

Check out who's website, Starcraft or Carlisle? Not uninformed or "bashing", I suppose the opposite - and unbiased.

I don't find that Starcraft makes tent trailers anymore, did I miss something or is my question about their manufacture correct? Also, I have owned the more current Carlisle Radial HD which I bought after lots of due diligence (including lots of "online checking") instead of a bad experience 15 years ago. They were/are excellent tires. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but referencing an experience almost 15 years ago with "cheap OEM tires" isn't really relevant today IMO. YMMV I'm sure.
Old 06-30-2021, 07:46 AM   #119
flybouy
Site Team

Saying the Carlisle tire of today is junk because of problems 15 years ago? Well then by that logic then the GY Marathon junk I bought back then means the current GY tires are junk right?
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:58 PM   #120
notanlines

John, Danny, Marshall, Brent, I believe y'all have led this horse to water. Carlisle has done what (maybe) Goodyear may have done. Nobody made worse tires than the Marathon. Carlisle back in 2000 or so was close. Hopefully both have reformed.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires