Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2021, 04:03 AM   #41
Ccrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
"A few extra dollars" wouldn't be bad but usually they run 50-100% more than Carlisle, Sailun or Maxxis brands. In my opinion they are not 50-100% better tires.
Having just bought 4x 225/75/15 Endurance from Discount Tire for $468 shipped to my door I have to call BS on the 50-100% more part.
Ccrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:57 AM   #42
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccrew View Post
Having just bought 4x 225/75/15 Endurance from Discount Tire for $468 shipped to my door I have to call BS on the 50-100% more part.

I don't know; just pulled up DT and the Carlisle Radial HD is $99; the Endurance is $145 - almost 50% and certainly not apples to apples. I will say that the Endurance prices are coming down. When I looked into them they were double the price of the Carlisles I put on my trailer. I figure they figured out that the huge price difference was a big deterrent to sales.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:13 AM   #43
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't know; just pulled up DT and the Carlisle Radial HD is $99; the Endurance is $145 - almost 50% and certainly not apples to apples. I will say that the Endurance prices are coming down. When I looked into them they were double the price of the Carlisles I put on my trailer. I figure they figured out that the huge price difference was a big deterrent to sales.
Don't forget; Carlisle gets a sizeable tariff relief and the GY Endurance does not. It may not make-up the large disparity between the price of same sized tires. American made always seems to be more expensive.
CWtheMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:58 PM   #44
lcarver02

If you have the cash, going with LT Load E is a great way to go. If I had a nice trailer, that is exactly what I would do. Michelin Tires are very good. Perhaps not the very best, but the best for the money.
lcarver02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:49 PM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarver02 View Post
If you have the cash, going with LT Load E is a great way to go. If I had a nice trailer, that is exactly what I would do. Michelin Tires are very good. Perhaps not the very best, but the best for the money.
I don't know of an LT tire in the 14" or 15" wheel sizes that has the carrying capacity to support nearly any of the trailers using those wheel sizes and going up in wheel size to 16" or 18" wheels (so LT tires would have the capacity to carry the trailer weight) puts the diameter of the tire "hitting the wheelwells on the trailer". LT tires are not rated to carry as much weight as ST tires, so in "reality" what you're doing is "going down several hundred pounds in weight capacity when you try that "old world scheme"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 08:02 PM   #46
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarver02 View Post
LT = light truck not heavy trailer. Even the HT on the Michelin LTs means highway tread not heavy trailer.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:27 PM   #47
Hayfield

Which tires would you recommend? I pick up my new Cougar 5th wheel Tuesday, it has Trailer Kings installed.
Hayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 01:40 PM   #48
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
Which tires would you recommend? I pick up my new Cougar 5th wheel Tuesday, it has Trailer Kings installed.
Carlisle, Sailun, Maxxis & if money's no object Goodyear Endurance.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 03:54 PM   #49
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post

Part of your decision will depend on the size of the tire you have currently. If it is a ST225/75R15 then Carlisle Radial HT or Goodyear Endurance are good choices. Some go with Maxxis 8008 was once a popular brand but not heard much in the past year or two. Get load range E. If you have a 16" rim, then Sailun or the others previously mentioned will be good choices.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:28 PM   #50
mjsibe

I agree with the above recommendations.
Mine being 14 inch on a 13 Passport RK 3100.
I Went up one size & load range as clearance was no issue. My wheels are rated for the increase in air pressure.
I went with Goodyear ENDURANCE.
mjsibe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sprinter, tires