Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2014, 01:15 AM   #1
Wally15

1st Camping Trip

After 4 months with the TT sitting in the driveway, we finally went RV'ing. 170 mile haul to the Tyndall AFB FamCamp right outside Panama City, FL. Nice big shaded sites, probably 90% full. Plan to stay there for a month or two. The landing pattern for the jets is right by the RV camp, it can get noisy a few times a day. Those F-22 Raptors are awesome. And loud.
Couple of newbie mistakes/observations:
1) MAKE SURE both valves are fully closed before unscrewing the cap to install the slinky. Or wear a pair of shoes you don't particularly like. Fortunately, no Baby Ruth's were involved.
2) Had to round up some cinder blocks for the back two stabilizers. Sandy soil, had to tighten the stabilizers about once a day.
3) So glad I got the TT with 50 amps and added a 2nd a/c. During the day we run the front a/c to cut down the noise in the rear living area, at bedtime we run the back a/c unit for the same reason.
4) The hard-wired PI EMS I added was very helpful in monitoring the amp loading. Keystone did a good job splitting the load between the two 50 amp legs. I ran both a/c's, water heater, microwave, and a hair dryer to test the system, and no breakers popped. 25 and 28 amps on each leg.
5) Drove (w/o TT) to Pensacola Beach for Mothers Day weekend (son was vacationing there). Don't take hiway 98 unless you have lots of time and patience. About 100 stop lights in 110 miles, took over 3 hours each way.
6) Visited the Oak Grove RV park at Pensacola NAS. Looks nice, may give it a try before the summer is over.
All-in-all we learned a lot. I think we're going to like RV'ing. Had two maint. issues, one with the cable/antenna hookup, another with the HW temp (on Elec. only) that I will post as separate threads.
2013 Laredo 308RE TT
'06 Ram 2500 CTD AT
S GA

Wally15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:18 AM   #2
bsmith0404

haven't been to the fam camp there, glad to here it is nice.

FYI, I used to have blocks for my rear stabilizers, made them out of 2x10s. Cut them 9.5" long and screwed them together, 4 total so I ended up with 2- 9.5x9.5x6" blocks. Then I stapled a short piece of rope to them for easy grabbing/carrying (kind of like A/C chalks). They are fairly light, compact, and work great for a stable footing under the jacks. Gave them away since I don't need them for my new RV, otherwise I would have posted a pic. Hope the explanation makes sense.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
MBD

Sounds like a great trip! We like to stay at Camp Gulf just up the road in Destin. I got tired of a lazy/leaking valve - so I purchased and installed an external waste valve. No more wondering if my hands and shoes would require Clorox sanitation.
MBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:01 AM   #4
Hansel

We are staying at the ST Andrews SP during News Years this year because my brother lives in Lynnhaven which is just north of Panama City. He just retired from the Navy base there across from the Air Force base, it is cool too see and hear those fighter jet's
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:30 AM   #5
PT RV`er

Just got back from a guys weekend of fishing at St Joseph Peninsula State Park. I go twice a year, spring trip and fall trip for 5 days. Then in September , after our season is over the wife and I spend 2 weeks at the state park. I also come back for the boat for the 2 week stay. I love that park.
Hwy 98 can get burdened with a lot of traffic in the summer months. A side note to help a lot of you out if you make it here, when it rains, stay home and cook lunch or dinner. Play games, watch a movie or something other than getting on Hwy 98. When it rains EVERYBODY is on the hwy trying to get anywhere and I guarantee you, you will be sitting on the pavement more than you will be moving on the pavement.

PT RV`er is offline   Reply With Quote