Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
lightning79

First time usage after winter storage

Hello friends,

In a few weeks I'll be picking up my little Springdale to live in for the summer. It's been in outside storage in Hinton, AB, for the winter. What are some of the things I should do when I pull it into its first campsite? I'm looking for info regarding things like the wheels, tires, roof, and water and gas lines. It's a 2012 model, so I don't expect (or hope!) that it needs any serious work.

Any guidelines, the more detail, the better, would be most appreciated!

Kevin
Old 05-08-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Kevin -

If it has been winterized while in outside storage (which it should have been), you will have to de-winterize it if you haven't already done so.

If you aren't familiar with this process, do a forum search and there are numerous posts/threads about this topic. You can also Google "Winterizing/De-winterizing an RV" which will provide you with a number of sites you can go to for information.

Check the pressure in the tires and look for any signs of cracks, bulges, etc in them. Propane tanks should be checked and topped up if necessary.

I'd get up on the roof and give it a thorough inspection. Check the caulking around all of the vents, skylight, antenna, etc., remove any loose caulking and apply new caulking where there are any cracks or gaps. Use Dicor self-leveling caulking (or equivalent) making sure it is compatible with your rubber roof.

Also check caulking around the edges and windows and all lights and other places where caulking has been applied. Re-caulk if necessary by using a good quality caulking --- I wouldn't use silicone myself - there are other and better products out there. In some cases, you may have to remove a frame and apply some butyl tape to ensure a good seal.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #3
lightning79

Thanks Festus!

The main thing on my mind are the appliances and gas lines. Any special notes regarding those two?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
Festus2
Site Team

Any of your electrical appliances should be good to go. I'd light the stove first to draw propane into the gas line and then do the fridge just to make sure it will operate on propane. Once you have determined that there is propane in the lines, you can fire up the furnace.... hopefully summer has arrived in Alberta and you won't have to use it!

Turn on your hot water heater. Check that it is working ok on both gas and electricity.
Don't forget the A/C to make sure it is working .... you just might get some hot weather sometime!
Old 05-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Kevin, If the Spingdale was winterized the water heater bypass may have been turned. Be sure that it is the normal position and the tank is full before turning on the heater. As Festus2 said, search this forum or Google for instructions and enjoy your summer.
Be sure to check tire pressure and wheel torque BEFORE towing to the campsite. Travel safely, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #6
GMcKenzie

How long has it been sitting and how far are you towing it?

I'd think about re-greasing the bearings on any new-to-me trailer.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote