Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2021, 10:48 AM   #21
Mikelff

You are asking the right questions BEFORE you buy. I agree with most of the recommendations. Shorter smaller TT OR a bigger truck. If you want something around 30’, its at least a 3/2 ton truck for sure. Me, I would buy a late model, low mileage, used 3/4 ton. Let the original owner take the largest depreciation hit. Good luck and safe travels.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 11:43 AM   #22
bbells

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbells View Post
My experience offers a simple answer. If you want a comfortable tow, get a trailer that has a loaded weight 1/2 of your truck's tow capacity. Plus, spend the extra money to get a better wd hitch with sway control built in. Your drive will be more comfortable. Better gas mileage. Easier to park. I went from a 26ft to an 18ft with my half ton and I now enjoy the trip.
Oh, remember kids love tenting it while you are in the RV.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 12:04 PM   #23
Gunny Mike

We full timed in the Dallas area for thee years and we just had one AC unit. Having two AC units is definitely a must during the summer if their is no shade.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 04:17 AM   #24
Robert Campbell

That is WAY too much camper for your truck. It is that simple. Don't let an RV sells person convince you otherwise. I agree with a previous reply in that you should purchase a TT 25 ft and under. Good luck with your purchase.
Robert Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 07:08 AM   #25
P&DZ

JMgear1
Welcome to the forum. You have received some great advice from very knowledgeable members on how to calculate the safe towing capacity for your truck.
I own a similar truck albeit my payload is a bit higher at 1,925lbs. My Cougar 21RBSWE has a GVWR of 7,200. My CAT scale weight for the TT fully loaded for a two week trip is 6,600. In my experience I would not want to tow any more with my 2018 GMC 1/2 ton. Just my input.
P&DZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:31 AM   #26
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Mike View Post
We full timed in the Dallas area for thee years and we just had one AC unit. Having two AC units is definitely a must during the summer if their is no shade.
Would never purchase any rv over 24' without 2 acs, one is NOT enough if camping in high temps.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:15 AM   #27
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Would never purchase any rv over 24' without 2 acs, one is NOT enough if camping in high temps.
Many campers in the 24-30' range don't come with a 50A / second A/C option. That will require some research. We use a 14K BTU portable exhausted out a window and do fine in conjunction with our 15K BTU Brisk II.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:25 AM   #28
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Many campers in the 24-30' range don't come with a 50A / second A/C option. That will require some research. We use a 14K BTU portable exhausted out a window and do fine in conjunction with our 15K BTU Brisk II.
Our old Passport 2890RL did just fine with one 15K A/C... The 333MKS Cougar 5th wheel would cool the bottom with 1 15K if we kept the bedroom door shut.. but the bedroom was hot and we were glad to have the 13.5 in the bedroom..

The Avalanche has two 15K's on it.. in full sun and 108` this past summer it was a tad bit warm but not uncomfortable..
Old 01-11-2021, 11:26 AM   #29
BobD

Passport Ultralite

You might look at the Passport Ultra Lite line. We have a 2010 2850RL that we love. It is quoted at 5,095 lbs dry and a load capacity a bit over 2k. The tongue wt is quoted at 650 lbs. A properly equipped 1/2 ton should be able to handle that. We use a Curt weight-distribution hitch and have easily towed that all over the mid-west and mountain states regions for 3 years with a 2010 Chevy Avalanche, 5.3L V8.

That said, after reading the weight limit posts for the past year, I finally weighed the truck, then truck and trailer and found I was over loaded by 150 pounds or so. But a 1/2 truck has more weight capability than the Avalanche, which is essentially a Suburban with a pickup bed. We loved the versatility and ride of the Avalanche, but traded it for a new 2500 HD this fall so we have plenty of margin for our current trailer plus capability for a larger trailer should we decide at some point to go that route.
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 12:06 PM   #30
mjsibe

Tow vehicle

Often overlooked are Chevy or GMC Full size Passenger vans.
I tow a Passport 3100Rk
I think the GVW on the trailer is 7400.
( it's covered now)
My 2014 Express 3500 Passenger van 6.0 gas
Payload is 3342 lbs.
Tow compasity 9700 lbs.
Ball Park 1k hitch weight fully loaded.
Something to think about with a few kids & there stuff
Combined GVW 16000 LBS.
Maxed out for a 6 week trip truck scales had me @ 13756 lbs.
Well with in the comfort zone
mjsibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #31
jxnbbl

Gone through this...

First the most valuable resource on this topic was to watch the following video:

https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/payload/

From my perspective I've towed trailers (boats and large snowmobile/utility) my entire life, but never owned an TT. And we set out and bought a TT early fall for the first time. I did the research prior to pulling the trigger with our 2016 ram ecodiesel at the TV option. We eliminated trailers anything above 5500/7500ish dry/gross and 700 hitch.

We were buying this for long term use with grandchildren (bunks) + fold out for their parents and us. Short term we wanted this for our first/only (maybe) 3800 rt mile to our son's wedding. We would have eliminated what you are looking at and had VERY limited selection due to inventory but luckily found a Bullet 273bhs which seems to fall into the ballpark of what you are looking for. It is a bit smaller, but probably due to the lack of outdoor kitchen and bunk house instead of bunks with curtains it is lighter than just being a bit shorter.

We bought it pulled it a number of miles in the NH White Mountains (where we live) so that I could get use to handling it. The combination was fine and if 1. our first trip wasn't 3800 miles RT, 2. our long term use probably will be only longer trips with grandchildren (we live in a vacation area) 3. didn't want to be counting pounds especially when bringing a couple of extra people in the tow vehicle and maybe the entire groups luggage in the TT 4. it was about family (easy to convince my wife) 5. was somewhat in the market for a new truck. We decided to get a larger truck.

Next came the availability thing AGAIN -it wasn't easy to find a 1 ton and pretty difficult to find a 3/4 ton that we wanted (we wanted a Cummins diesel). Due to covid/various reasons it created a supply/demand thing that it was hard to work a deal on anything. We ended up with a Ram 2500 Cummings Crew Cab and its a great package. My "one an done" wife is hooked and our next trip will be a 'long trip to nowhere' (no plans wake up and just plan 1 day at a time).

Anyways, i ended up with the new truck but if you go through that video it would have been a prerequisite if the target purchase was the TT that you are looking at.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 03:37 PM   #32
Beast2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgreer1 View Post
I'm sure this topic has been beaten to death so I apologize. The wife wants a TT and I've been researching/reading/racking my brain to educate myself on this entirely new world. We've got some TT choices but still need to personally walk in them to make sure it's what we want. Before I get too deep, I'm looking for confirmation my tow vehicle is capable of pulling such rigs.

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 outfitted with some factory add-ons. The particulars as follows:

GVWR: 7,200
Max Payload: 1,542
Max Trailer Weight: 10,800
GCWR: 16,700
Max Tongue Weight (with WDH): 1,250

The TT we are looking at are all mid-6,000's dry. I know I'll be at the upper end of the capacity, but would you say I am too ambitious??

TIA,
JG
You might be ok - hitch capacity and payload may be maxed or slightly over. My last TT was 31’ and 7400 loaded with a hitch weight of 1160. That’s a lot for a 1/2 ton truck. I’ve upgraded my TV now though because I also upgraded the camper. TV is now a F350 6.7
Beast2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:12 PM   #33
Ibdagriz

Quote:
I have a 2017 GMC Sierra 1500 outfitted with some factory add-ons. The particulars as follows:

GVWR: 7,200
Max Payload: 1,542
Max Trailer Weight: 10,800
GCWR: 16,700
Max Tongue Weight (with WDH): 1,250

The TT we are looking at are all mid-6,000's dry. I know I'll be at the upper end of the capacity, but would you say I am too ambitious??

TIA,
JG
I'd highly recommend renting a couple in various sizes from 24' to 30' and see how they pull/feel behind your vehicle. I have a 35' TT and pull it behind an F-250 because it is 9k loaded to camp with 1400 lbs on the hitch.

Griz
Ibdagriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 01:57 PM   #34
Marke

Quote:
Campers would be myself, wife, and two children (11,6) so we are drawn to the bunkhouse models. We live in south MS and are familiar with high temps (plus humidity) so 2 A/C units are a must. The trips we would like to take could take us anywhere from SW USA to NE USA, but we have yet to take a trip still...
Hello from a fellow south Mississippian.
Marke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:53 PM   #35
Bill2e

Good job asking these questions now rather than before you buy your camper.

Most of the pertinent information has been covered here. I recently bought a single rear wheel ram 3500 short bed in hopes of buying a new fifth wheel.

I looked at all the numbers and knew I’d be fine, but I neglected to look at the payload capacity.

After much research I ended up canceling the order for the 42 foot fifth wheeler Wheeler.

Fortunately we still have a keystone cougar 27SAB. Which I found out I was overloading my old ram 1500.

It had a tow capacity of 8800, which why we purchased he 6600 lbs Cougar. The Payload was only 1800. 900 hitch weight takes me down to 900 for me, my wife, daughter, two dogs all our stuff in the bed, hitch, tools, cooler of food and beer. You get the idea.

Disappointed we can’t get the fifth wheel we wanted, but happy a have a much SAFER truck to pull out Cougar.

Good luck, but it may be time to consider a 2500.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 05:17 PM   #36
Bill2e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
First the most valuable resource on this topic was to watch the following video:

https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/payload/

From my perspective I've towed trailers (boats and large snowmobile/utility) my entire life, but never owned an TT. And we set out and bought a TT early fall for the first time. I did the research prior to pulling the trigger with our 2016 ram ecodiesel at the TV option. We eliminated trailers anything above 5500/7500ish dry/gross and 700 hitch.

We were buying this for long term use with grandchildren (bunks) + fold out for their parents and us. Short term we wanted this for our first/only (maybe) 3800 rt mile to our son's wedding. We would have eliminated what you are looking at and had VERY limited selection due to inventory but luckily found a Bullet 273bhs which seems to fall into the ballpark of what you are looking for. It is a bit smaller, but probably due to the lack of outdoor kitchen and bunk house instead of bunks with curtains it is lighter than just being a bit shorter.

We bought it pulled it a number of miles in the NH White Mountains (where we live) so that I could get use to handling it. The combination was fine and if 1. our first trip wasn't 3800 miles RT, 2. our long term use probably will be only longer trips with grandchildren (we live in a vacation area) 3. didn't want to be counting pounds especially when bringing a couple of extra people in the tow vehicle and maybe the entire groups luggage in the TT 4. it was about family (easy to convince my wife) 5. was somewhat in the market for a new truck. We decided to get a larger truck.

Next came the availability thing AGAIN -it wasn't easy to find a 1 ton and pretty difficult to find a 3/4 ton that we wanted (we wanted a Cummins diesel). Due to covid/various reasons it created a supply/demand thing that it was hard to work a deal on anything. We ended up with a Ram 2500 Cummings Crew Cab and its a great package. My "one an done" wife is hooked and our next trip will be a 'long trip to nowhere' (no plans wake up and just plan 1 day at a time).

Anyways, i ended up with the new truck but if you go through that video it would have been a prerequisite if the target purchase was the TT that you are looking at.

This is a great video to break it all down.
Bill2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 05:45 PM   #37
RVDad89

I'm new to the forum and ONLY giving my experience, new to heavy towing! I have a 2020 F150, 4WD and max tow, and we just purchased an Outback 341RD which weights 8450 dry and 10500 GVWR. We just picked up the TT last week and towed it home approx 150miles. The F150 handled the trailer fine, minimal sway and no issues with pulling power. There was a bit more squat than I wanted, even though the dealer set the TT and hitch up and the truck sits "level", so I ordered and installed Summo rear springs to help. I haven't had a chance to hook up the trailer and see how it sits but we're heading out Friday so we'll see. I was concerned when I saw the size of the TT with the truck connected but I'm happy with how well it handed the TT. I've towed many trailers but nothing this heavy or length, 38'8"! Please don't beat me up, I'm new to this but just wanted to share my experience so far! Thanks!
Old 02-08-2021, 06:27 PM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDad89 View Post
I'm new to the forum and ONLY giving my experience, new to heavy towing! I have a 2020 F150, 4WD and max tow, and we just purchased an Outback 341RD which weights 8450 dry and 10500 GVWR. We just picked up the TT last week and towed it home approx 150miles. The F150 handled the trailer fine, minimal sway and no issues with pulling power. There was a bit more squat than I wanted, even though the dealer set the TT and hitch up and the truck sits "level", so I ordered and installed Summo rear springs to help. I haven't had a chance to hook up the trailer and see how it sits but we're heading out Friday so we'll see. I was concerned when I saw the size of the TT with the truck connected but I'm happy with how well it handed the TT. I've towed many trailers but nothing this heavy or length, 38'8"! Please don't beat me up, I'm new to this but just wanted to share my experience so far! Thanks!
Your signature says you've got a F150 3.6L engine ???

Regardless, I'd urge you, when you get everything packed and ready for the weekend, I'd tow across the nearest CAT scale to get some "real world numbers" for your rig. You may be OK, you may just as likely be overloaded on either the receiver, the rear axle or possibly the front axle. It's always better to know for sure and make appropriate decisions than to wonder or worse, do the "head in the sand" thing.... Hopefully, you're OK in all categories.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:31 PM   #39
Gunny Mike

We have an Outback 341 RD as well and we tow it with a 2006 F250. I'm using an equalizer hitch and I have some squat as well. Dealer setup as well. Keep me posted on your spring upgrade as I'm looking at upgrading the rear-end as well. Towing with a F150 I would stick to lower elevations and keep it out of the mountains.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:31 PM   #40
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDad89 View Post
That's a really big trailer for a 1/2 ton! Your trailer's GVWR is just above 10K. At 13%, your tongue weight alone will be around 1300 pounds. What is your truck's payload ("cargo and passengers should not exceed......") capacity as listed on the yellow/white sticker on the driver's door jamb?

The tongue weight above, approximately 100 lbs for the hitch, the weight of you and all other passengers, pets, add-ons such as tonneau cover, toolbox, plus all other cargo such as firewood etc. carried in the truck all need to be deducted from your truck's stickered payload. If you exceed this stickered payload, you are over loading the truck. You will also likely be close to or exceeding your truck's rear axle rating. I had a 2019 F150 max tow when we bought our current travel trailer (GVWR 9500 lbs) and I was about 20 lbs under it's rear axle rating when CAT scaled. Be aware that while Sumo springs or Timbrens or airbags will level out your ride, they do not increase the vehicle's payload/carrying capacity.

In addition to the weight issue, the long length of that trailer will be difficult for an F150 to handle, particularly in windy conditions or should you need to make an emergency stop/maneuver.

Sure don't want to make you upset, but I've been in your situation myself - with a 6' shorter trailer with 500 lb. less GVWR. It was a real chore to even be close to 'legal' and it was only 2 of us and 2 small dogs in the truck, with essentially zero cargo in the bed.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle