Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2021, 09:20 PM   #1
sourdough
Site Team

Covid/Travel/Vaccinations

It's funny that John brought vaccinations up in another post. And wanted to share;

We're in FL from TX. Actually stuck in FL due to family problems. We are scheduled to leave in April but the vaccines are coming out now and we really wanted to avail ourselves of that. Read the articles about state guidelines for FL and they always said "residents". TX guidelines said "residents". Figured we were going to have to buy plane tickets back and forth to TX to get the shots. Talked to our Dr. nurse today and she didn't know for sure....so;

decided to call the county health office here in FL as a long shot. Finally reached them and found the nicest lady. She said there was no "resident" restriction. I told her our age and she said she would put us on the list right now. I asked would it be weeks, months or what. She said a nurse would call us within the next week to schedule!!

I know many are traveling, or want to travel, at this time of year. If, like us, getting the vaccination is important. I was relieved, shocked even, that I was welcomed like a resident. Made our day and sure was a stress reliever. Just wanted to share that with anyone that might have those concerns.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:13 AM   #2
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
It's funny that John brought vaccinations up in another post. And wanted to share;

We're in FL from TX. Actually stuck in FL due to family problems. We are scheduled to leave in April but the vaccines are coming out now and we really wanted to avail ourselves of that. Read the articles about state guidelines for FL and they always said "residents". TX guidelines said "residents". Figured we were going to have to buy plane tickets back and forth to TX to get the shots. Talked to our Dr. nurse today and she didn't know for sure....so;

decided to call the county health office here in FL as a long shot. Finally reached them and found the nicest lady. She said there was no "resident" restriction. I told her our age and she said she would put us on the list right now. I asked would it be weeks, months or what. She said a nurse would call us within the next week to schedule!!

I know many are traveling, or want to travel, at this time of year. If, like us, getting the vaccination is important. I was relieved, shocked even, that I was welcomed like a resident. Made our day and sure was a stress reliever. Just wanted to share that with anyone that might have those concerns.
Mom is 96 in New Mexico rest home she is getting Covid vaccination my sister and I went around about the vaccine. New Mexico Frontline workers and very elderly are the first to receive the vaccine. Danny I’ll be in the Tampa area for awhile if so maybe we could have a beer together.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 04:20 AM   #3
Frank G

Your Lucky, access varies county by county in Florida. Here in Pasco county it appears they give 500 shots a day for 65 and older. The shots are divided into 5, hour long time slots per day and access to a "Ticket" for a time slot occurs 24 hours before by online access only (kind of like buying World Series Tickets tickets). Time slots are filled within a few seconds of the opening bell. What's to happen when they need to give the second shot? We have been trying for 3 days to garner a "Ticket" for a shot. We'll try again today.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 05:13 AM   #4
notanlines

Thanks, Danny. Benda and I are going to wander into the health department here in Okeechobee today and see what the story is. Doesn't hurt to ask!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 06:41 AM   #5
gearhead

Don't know about Florida but Texas isn't working very smoothly. The process is getting me and Betty frustrated. We have friends and relatives in health care. They call us and tell us what drugstore or provider is giving shots. Call them and get the run around. We look at the state covid website that tells who has vaccine, we call them, and they haven't received any yet. We are on the list at our nearest drugstore. Our docs office says they are on the list to receive but will get no advance notice, it will just show up.
I don't think these government employees would make it in the real world.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:08 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

Here in "The People's Republic of Maryland" it's been a S#@+ show. Supposedly they have more vaccione then people to administer it. The state is dead last in distributing the vaccine. What a dumpster fire. But!, But! Maryland was proud that they and Virginia were able to "donate" vaccine to Washington D.C., apparently they weren't on the distribution list. You just can't make this stuff up!

Maryland's Covid website. https://covidlink.maryland.gov/content/vaccine/
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 08:24 AM   #7
dutchmensport

I've had my share of shots, pokes, jabs, stabs, and grabs. I've had surgeries, body parts replaced, body parts removed. I've been in the US Army and got prodded in places I deny even exist and shots with air guns to rusty needles.

Even with all of that, I remember the first time I saw a hypodermic needle. I was 4 years old and when that doctor pulled out that needle, I panicked. My parents held me down to the FLOOR, the doctor put both knees on both shoulders. I was hog tied by 3 people holding me down, AND I still managed to bite that danged doctor's hand!

It was then I got a whack across my head, one on my leg, and one on my butt... all at the same time and then in my horror and shock ... the needle hit my arm!

I yelled and screamed like all hell itself just let loose ever captive since creation! They all let go of me and I ran out that door so fast, the wind couldn't even keep up with me.

I've been terrified of needles ever since, in spite of everything that I've been through since then. I hate needles and I about pass out when I see one.

So, if I ever have to get the Covid shot ... well .... I'll have to be severely incapacitated and probably in a coma before they stick that thing in my body!
Old 01-05-2021, 09:50 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Don't know about Florida but Texas isn't working very smoothly. The process is getting me and Betty frustrated. We have friends and relatives in health care. They call us and tell us what drugstore or provider is giving shots. Call them and get the run around. We look at the state covid website that tells who has vaccine, we call them, and they haven't received any yet. We are on the list at our nearest drugstore. Our docs office says they are on the list to receive but will get no advance notice, it will just show up.
I don't think these government employees would make it in the real world.
Claudia & I are now on the list to get a shot. Our local primary care doc got some does. Unfortunately I was told by the doc's office that it would be 3-4 weeks due to all the red tape and govt induced complication.

For Texas resident, here is a list of places that received the vaccine; some are only giving shots out to "1A" people (mostly first line med personnel and such; not sure)".

https://txdshs.maps.arcgis.com/apps/...a4acfe4a05920a
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:15 AM   #9
Javi

Y'all can have mine I drank out of the stock tank yesterday..
Old 01-05-2021, 10:17 AM   #10
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Y'all can have mine I drank out of the stock tank yesterday..
Was that your stock of Jack or shine?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #11
German Shepherd Guy

Way to go Danny. Carrie and I are "young uns" (68) so we are not on the list for first round here in Colorado, 70 being the magic number, but we are from a very small community/county so I don't believe it will be long. My best friends brother who is 77 just lost his wife. They knew she was high risk so went into quarantine back in April. By the end of November she was going nuts wanting to get out so scheduled a pedicure. (They were living in the city). Came home and four days later got sick, 5 days later (Dec 7 ironically) she passed away.
Soooo we are sitting tight until the vaccine. Stay safe everyone! We are almost home.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 12:54 PM   #12
gearhead

Our pharmacy just called. Appointments for the vaccine next Tuesday. Didn't even ask which vaccine.

edit add: Betty says Moderna.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 03:24 PM   #13
Greg58

Vaccinations are going slow here in Georgia, my wife will qualify for health reasons before me, I'm in class 1-B working in the school system. The problem here is setting up an appointment online, the sites are so overcrowded it takes hours to get through. Hopefully things will get better soon and we can put this virus behind us by the end of the year or at least see a slow down.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:13 PM   #14
BeagleMan

Like Dutchmen, I will not avail myself to it. Will not have it. I will travel where it is deemed good and thats all. No tests, no vaccine. for me or my beloved DW. Just do not believe in it.

My mom, in a nursing home, unless it is a requirement for staying there, she will not have it either. It is very hard to even go and visit my own mother, as I will not be allowed to have my temp taken and RECORDED, which only happened once when my Dad died this past Dec 5th. When that person recorded my temp, nope, no longer visiting. We shall see after Jan 22. Only way we can visit is through a screen window with masks on and 3 people listening on our conversation, not deliberately, but they do and they watch to make sure those STUPID MASKS STAY ON. I am deaf, wearing hearing aids, I cannot talk to people with a mask on. I cannot understand a da** word anyone is saying. For me, its about understanding what is said, not hearing them. Therefore, my poor Mom has to rely on very short visits when I deliver her groceries and occasional takeout.

This crap needs to be over!!
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 05:40 PM   #15
Greg58

I understand some people don’t want or don’t believe in the vaccine and that’s ok, I’ll take the vaccine to help keep it from spreading, if enough able bodied people take it we can get ahead of the virus. P.S. I know it is real, I lost a 50 year old relative a couple of months ago.
Greg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 04:27 AM   #16
notanlines

"This crap needs to be over!!"
Might I ask, since you aren't willing to do even the smallest thing to stop the spread, why you believe it is time for it to be over? Maybe it is time for people to stop believing "It's all about me" and get with the program.
My 90 year old mother lives in a senior complex in Wisconsin and this complex has lost NOT ONE RESIDENT! The residents are not allowed out except for medical reasons and no visitors are allowed in because visitors wouldn't even wear the masks that were furnished originally by the facility. Do you HEAR what I'm saying?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:34 AM   #17
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Might I ask, since you aren't willing to do even the smallest thing to stop the spread, why you believe it is time for it to be over? Maybe it is time for people to stop believing "It's all about me" and get with the program.
My 90 year old mother lives in a senior complex in Wisconsin and this complex has lost NOT ONE RESIDENT! The residents are not allowed out except for medical reasons and no visitors are allowed in because visitors wouldn't even wear the masks that were furnished originally by the facility. Do you HEAR what I'm saying?
Well said, Jim. We wear masks, social distance, and will get the vaccine - not out of fear for ourselves but out of respect for those around us. The "greatest commandment".
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:38 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

I live in a state that is "seemingly slow to respond" to the vaccination program. While there may be any number of reasons for the delay (purely unresponsive to people's needs) the fact remains that yesterday, our local health department vaccinated "almost 100 residents of the 4 county area"...

ALMOST 100 vaccinations all day in all 4 counties ??????

During the height of the Viet Nam buildup, the military was vaccinating nearly 100 recruits every 10 minutes with multiple injections, in both arms, as they marched through a gymnasium with their shirt wrapped around their waist.

So, to anyone who's "not interested" in taking a vaccination, but has the opportunity to at least make that choice, there are some of us who would "envy your opportunity".... It looks like we "may be able to obtain an appointment for a vaccination" sometime in late March or early April.....

So, be thankful for what you don't even want to do for the rest of us.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:04 AM   #19
BeagleMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Simple. I am not a sheep. COVID is not about saving lives. And thats all I will say because there are other ramifications here for discussing un-wanted subject matter.
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 04:01 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

I started this thread because I know lots of folks wanting the vaccine but worried about it and the process as well. Definitely didn't intend for it to be a "those that take it are abc and those that don't are xyz" - unnecessary.

Many on the forum are traveling and away from their home states, I figure I'm not the only one that was curious/concerned how this would roll out when you are away. Sounds like we've been lucky. I had previously advised of my initial inquiry and the response. Today Susan and i received our first vaccination, it was Moderna.

The county we are in called a week ago and gave us the date and time to arrive at the community center. Pre check in going into the parking lot; fill out the paperwork in the vehicle; go to the entrance of the center and a National Guard member was there directing us inside; nurses/volunteers manning tables to take your information, give you the time/date for next injection and direct you inside; stand in a line (for about 15 seconds) then directed to the end of a table (conference tables set up with a nurse at each end to administer the shot) to get your shot; directed to a chair to wait for 15 minutes to see if there are side effects; leave.

From everything I've seen, read and heard this was going to be a nightmare. Quite the opposite - excellent, superior....even fantastic! The folks were extremely nice and courteous, efficient and just plain on top of it. It is very difficult to please me much less impress me - these folks were fabulous. I hope/wish everyone could have the same kind of experience we did today.
The vaccine (Moderna) had no effect on Susan or myself. It's been about 8 hours and neither of us has any pain or after effect. Stellar!

I don't usually contract illnesses or viruses....but I have in my life, even to the extent of being hospitalized. Regardless of how one feels about the vaccine my intention is to NEVER contract it then give it to someone I love. For me and mine it's the prudent thing to do.

Now, I know we are all strung all around this country but I would give a shout out and commend all the nurses, volunteers and National Guard members of Wakulla County FL for the just plain, flat out super job they are doing for the community.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote