Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2021, 07:43 AM   #1
Krg2383

X chocks

Curious what everyone does. I was given 1 from my in-laws but wasn't sure if I should get a 2nd. What everyone's thoughts.
Krg2383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:08 AM   #2
Canonman

I use two when I plan to spend more than a couple of nights. If we're just overnighting I use the simpler, standard wheel chock. The X chocks seems to help stop the bounce/movement of the trailer as we move around inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL6418.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	487.5 KB
ID:	32250  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:12 AM   #3
LewisB

Most people use these in a pair (2) for tandem or triple axle trailers.
A lot of people like them - some of us don't think they do much.

If you decide to use them, remember that these are sold as a "stability aid", intended to limit trailer movement. You can NOT use these as a substitue for true wheel chocks. You can easily drive through these; they will not, for example, safely stop your trailer from rolling down a hill. Most of them come with notations similar to the following:

> Per eTrailer ads "Note: The purpose of the Chock and Lock is to limit front-to-back motion on parked tandem-axle trailers. Do not use as brakes or wheel wedges"
or:
> Per BAL X-chock "Provides added stabilization and prevents tire shifts by applying opposing force to tandem tire applications"
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:20 AM   #4
Weldon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krg2383 View Post
Curious what everyone does. I was given 1 from my in-laws but wasn't sure if I should get a 2nd. What everyone's thoughts.
I have a pair of them. I've gotten into the habit of using them every time we camp, and even when my camper is at our storage location. I especially find the x-chocks helpful when I have to use the leveling blocks to raise the camper on one side, and therefore the normal wheel chocks do not really fit tightly against the wheel and ground anymore. I will still use the regular chocks and the x-chocks.,,can't hurt, and they do make the camper less bouncy IMO. With 2 kids and bunks, I need to make it less bouncy. I haven't regretted buying a set of them at all.
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:24 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

The Xchocks are more a "stability aid", not a true wheel "chock" so don't put them on in lieu of regular chocks.

We use them in pairs now. Given that you will use it for a stability aid, then realize that the movement in a TT is a multifaceted thing. It comes from the suspension, the tires etc. Each "piece" of the pie can be addressed with different options. JT strongarms/BAL make stabilizers to help but it still leaves a little flex in the tires. The Xchocks help with that. Lots of little things to do.

Lots of things to use and BUY!! For us the Xchocks do help but are definitely not a one item "fix" for trailer movement.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:27 AM   #6
Krg2383

Thanks everyone for the quick responses
Old 03-03-2021, 10:01 AM   #7
Northofu1

I bought one for my travel trailer wide stance axles, used it a few times, PITA. It sits in my locker at work until I get around to trying to sell it.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:18 AM   #8
JDDilly

I use them all the time. IMO, it greatly reduces the movement of the trailer.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:23 AM   #9
spicercars

I use two and love them.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

I bought a set of X-chocks because we had a "wobbly" trailer. I was trying to 'cheap out" by buying $75 worth of X-chocks rather than spending $250 for the "locking rod technology"... Right now, I've got a set of X-chocks sitting on a shelf in the garage and like Northofu1, I just haven't had time to get around to putting them on Craig's List or dragging them out to sell at DW's "annual garage sale"... Sooner or later, I'll get rid of them.

Why ???

When I used them, they helped "a little"...

Then, I decided I wanted more stability than I was getting with the X-chocks. That's when I "bit the bullet" and spent the $250 that I was trying to save... What I found, when I installed the BAL locking arm stabilizers was a "night and day difference" between the X-chocks and the BAL system.

For me, it's yet one more situation where "You simply don't know what you don't know" and to go a step further, "You won't be able to compare the "stability of X-chocks" to an unknown. It's a matter of, knowing part of the story but not knowing what's on the next page.... Until you experience the "lock arm technology" for yourself, there's no ability to know what you're missing....

No, I don't work for Norco or Lippert or any other RV accessory company, but after having both systems, X-chocks and BAL lock arms, I can say that I now know what I didn't know before and that's why the X-chocks are sitting in the garage and not taking up space in the fifth wheel.... For me, there is simply no comparison between stopping the wheels from turning and stabilizing the front and rear of the trailer frame. YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:26 AM   #11
dutchmensport

Nope, don't use them. It's just another hardware item to drag around and another item to fiddle with and take more time when setting up the camper. As far as a little bounce or movement in the camper? We never let that bother us.

Funny, a few years ago we took a Carnival Cruise. One night in bed, I asked my wife... Did you feel that? And she said yes. What happened was, we felt the movement of the cruise ship. I told her, That feels just like the trailer rocking, doesn't it? And she said, It sure does.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:39 AM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

If I had a trailer with hyd opr electric self levelers than I'd say no. I use 2 on every dual axle trailer and they have helped. Still use wheel chocks when setting up first, then level, put stabilizers down and insert the X Chocks. It only takes about a min total.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:48 PM   #13
ChuckS

Have a set sitting out 8n the wood shop.. they helped on my two toy haulers (conventional pull) but did nada with the Alpine and six point hyd level up.. I use 4x4 wheel chocks and always have ..

The x chocks will never be carried by me again

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote