Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2020, 06:21 PM   #21
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasrules View Post

I purchased this combiner box off Amazon for $120. Its all pre wired, a fuse for each panel, a breaker to kill the power, and lightning protection.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FH7JTTL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_CnZWteOudmjTW

That's a nice looking product. Especially like that it utilizes MC4 connectors.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:22 PM   #22
JJaxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
I think your panels are a little over 800 watts. On my two port Zamp port, that Keystone pre-mounted on the rooftop, it's embossed saying 500 watts max. What does yours say? How many SAE ports does it have?

I like the combiner box setup from AMSolar but it's a little spendy and would have required me to rewire the panels using their wire. For my needs (3 installs) it was easier to use the wire that comes on the panels. I used Y-connectors on the rooftop then ran only one pair of +/- wires through the roof. Whether you do that or use a combiner box, you should locate it directly over where you want the wires to come down inside the RV.

Hmmm. I just reread your question. Are you thinking about using a combiner AND utilize the rooftop port?

Just my two cents, YMMV
Mike
You are correct, 4 ea 210w panels, for 840W total. I havent looked closely at the Keystone mounted feed through the roof yet, but will.

I will use Y connectors at the panels in a Series Parallel configuration - I think. Gotta do the math on that still. Then to a combiner box, down into the basement where the factory wires are capped. Makes sense to remove the factory installed feedthrough and place the combiner box there, as the hole is already there.
2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Youtube channel - Wingin' it with John
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:36 PM   #23
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
Makes sense to remove the factory installed feedthrough and place the combiner box there, as the hole is already there.
Hmmm. I think that presupposes the factory left you enough slack in the roof/attic to lift the factory gland, cut the wires from the back of their gland, and feed those wires up into your combiner box. Can you determine in advance that there's either enough slack wire, or that you could feed new replacement wire up to the rooftop from inside if you had to?
Old 12-13-2020, 07:58 PM   #24
JJaxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
Hmmm. I think that presupposes the factory left you enough slack in the roof/attic to lift the factory gland, cut the wires from the back of their gland, and feed those wires up into your combiner box. Can you determine in advance that there's either enough slack wire, or that you could feed new replacement wire up to the rooftop from inside if you had to?
Thats a great question Mike. It'll be a few days before i can climb up there. I had knee surgery just before Thanksgiving and climbing up there a dozen times last night may have been a bit too early. A few days of ice packs, then I'll climb up there and see.
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Old 12-17-2020, 04:24 PM   #25
JJaxon

On the roof today...

So I climbed up on the roof today, it has a Jaboni roof dock port, has no ratings on it that I can see. Went to YouTube and found the Factory install video by Keystone for Fuzion, it says the Jaboni dock port is rated at 30amps max.
30a @ 20v = 600w
30a @ 60v = 1800w. per their video.

My panels are 210w (4ea) and I planned to connect in series/parallel. Still learning how to do this math, so here is my panel spec in the picture.
Am I correct in series/parallel?
I think I'd have: 840watts 44.8volts 18.6amps from 2 arrays of 2 panels each?

My controller is Victron 150v/70a MPPT
Am I missing anything in my calculation?

I like the idea of the combiner box shown
https://smile.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-...8249002&sr=8-8

But I'm not sure if it is rated high enough for my panels. I need to get this stuff ordered very soon and installed while I'm in inside storage. Anyone know how to size rate the panels to the combiner box, and what size pv cable I need to buy?

Sorry for the flipped pic, can't seem to get it turned over in the post.
Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Andersen Ultimate hitch
Old 12-19-2020, 09:40 AM   #26
Jim2366

I enjoy reading these post about the solar power. I am trying to learn and would like get a good solar system. I believe that we all need to be prepared just in case we don't have electric. There are good reasons for solar, to help the environment, but my reason is in case the grid goes out to survive or to camp in nice areas without electric. My first choice is electric.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:42 AM   #27
jetalkington

I just bought a 2021 Cougar 29 MBS. I will be tackling this same job next summer. I live near Rockford and it looks like your in Danville.

I will be following what your doing.

It looks like your using Victron Energy products. They have an app that may help with your calculations.
https://www.victronenergy.com/suppor...loads/software

Also, I like the Circuit Wizard from Blue Sea. You can find it in your app store.

I also follow a guy that is do this in vans and his info is a lot of help. Explorist.life. He is a trainer for Victron Energy. There is a lot of good info there.

I am currently rehabbing a 1990 Toyota Sunrader and will be adding solar to that. The sites above have given me lots of good information.

If I can help let me know.
jetalkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 03:02 PM   #28
JJaxon

Update *

My roof top work is complete. I installed the 4 panels with tilt mounts, I made a combiner box to tie them together in 2S2P, then down through the Jaboni port. That factory wire ran down through the wall between the shower and the front bedroom, and terminated just behind the InCommand panel in the basement. It was cut and capped, then continued under the basement floor and forward to the original battery bay and capped again. This fwd leg I will not use, as it is not removable, or anchored under the floor and is not where I need it to be.

This PV cable from the roof was long enough to reach over the rear wall of the basement but too short to reach the fwd wall. I struggled with another option- to run it back into the compartment that has the outside refrigerator and TV in it. Plenty of room there for 4 BB batteries, charge controller etc, but I'd lose the fridge.

So, The PV wire went forward over the center of the basement, where I mounted to the aluminum frame above and installed a DC breaker double pole switch as a disconnect. I will add about 7ft of PV cable to get to the Charge Controller which will mount on the front wall of the basement. The 4 BB batteries, the Victron CC, Victron 3000MP inverter, a Victron Lynx distributer. A Smart Phase Selector (on back order) and various other hardware will all be mounted here at the front wall of the basement.

I am wanting to have full connectivity to the service panel in the garage. It is 50amp service, meaning 2 legs of 120v. The SPS is necessary for the 3 way connect of shore power / generator / solar. Im waiting on the SPS to become available, says spring 2021. Many people use the 4/0 wire for their install. I spoke with battle Born on the phone and they said that is complete overkill, that with my set up I can use 1/0 cables. Ordered and waiting FedEx delivery tomorrow.

Certainly complex and costly, I'm not taking shortcuts, and learning as I go.

Progress is slow, but steady. I did a 200 mile road trip and the roof install is all secure and solid. No issues there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	185
Size:	663.7 KB
ID:	31563   Click image for larger version

Name:	solar 2.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	31564  
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Old 01-21-2021, 03:26 PM   #29
jasin1

Wow nice system! Definitely top shelf install
Old 01-22-2021, 05:14 AM   #30
roadglide

Sps is that Smart phase selector? Relay switch keeps feedbacks from solar, shore power and generator?
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:27 AM   #31
Northofu1

Quote:
My roof top work is complete. I installed the 4 panels with tilt mounts, I made a combiner box to tie them together in 2S2P, then down through the Jaboni port. That factory wire ran down through the wall between the shower and the front bedroom, and terminated just behind the InCommand panel in the basement. It was cut and capped, then continued under the basement floor and forward to the original battery bay and capped again. This fwd leg I will not use, as it is not removable, or anchored under the floor and is not where I need it to be.

This PV cable from the roof was long enough to reach over the rear wall of the basement but too short to reach the fwd wall. I struggled with another option- to run it back into the compartment that has the outside refrigerator and TV in it. Plenty of room there for 4 BB batteries, charge controller etc, but I'd lose the fridge.

So, The PV wire went forward over the center of the basement, where I mounted to the aluminum frame above and installed a DC breaker double pole switch as a disconnect. I will add about 7ft of PV cable to get to the Charge Controller which will mount on the front wall of the basement. The 4 BB batteries, the Victron CC, Victron 3000MP inverter, a Victron Lynx distributer. A Smart Phase Selector (on back order) and various other hardware will all be mounted here at the front wall of the basement.

I am wanting to have full connectivity to the service panel in the garage. It is 50amp service, meaning 2 legs of 120v. The SPS is necessary for the 3 way connect of shore power / generator / solar. Im waiting on the SPS to become available, says spring 2021. Many people use the 4/0 wire for their install. I spoke with battle Born on the phone and they said that is complete overkill, that with my set up I can use 1/0 cables. Ordered and waiting FedEx delivery tomorrow.

Certainly complex and costly, I'm not taking shortcuts, and learning as I go.

Progress is slow, but steady. I did a 200 mile road trip and the roof install is all secure and solid. No issues there.
NICE!
Looks like a formidable project, hope everything goes smoothly.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:10 AM   #32
flybouy
Site Team

I flipped the picture for you. If you post a picture the forum software will only display it in landscape mode. It also doesn't know if it's upside down or not. When posting a pic if the orientation is incorrect just open the file on your computer in an editing program. Typically it will have the option to "rotate the image. Then rotate the image and save it. Then you replace the file if you already have it a post by editing the post.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:44 AM   #33
JJaxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
Sps is that Smart phase selector? Relay switch keeps feedbacks from solar, shore power and generator?
Yes, that is correct. It also feeds both legs on a 50 amp from shore power or generator, and can be 30amp one leg and inverter fed to the other leg when plugged into a 20 or 30 amp pedestal.

https://amsolar.com/rv-inverter-accessories/50-tsfmb1
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Old 01-22-2021, 07:49 AM   #34
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Yes, that is correct. It also feeds both legs on a 50 amp from shore power or generator, and can be 30amp one leg and inverter fed to the other leg when plugged into a 20 or 30 amp pedestal.

https://amsolar.com/rv-inverter-accessories/50-tsfmb1
That looks like a nice set up and a substantial investment!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 07:52 AM   #35
JJaxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
That looks like a nice set up and a substantial investment!
You're not wrong, and its only money.
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Old 01-23-2021, 05:05 AM   #36
roadglide

That’s why I chose zone service over full house service is $$$$ . That’s interesting Having 50 amps available and more with that relay. I think my relay was 30 bucks and wired too two 15 amp breakers.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 08:50 AM   #37
RamminTime

Quote:
I mounted my 4 panels last night on the roof. Doing some video as I go. No wiring yet. Video will come out eventually in parts.

My 369 has the factory roof port installed. Looking for suggestions on Combiner boxes, Do you have one? Pros and Cons? Cheap vs. Expensive? Does it matter where it's located on the roof?

Next is decide where to locate the 4 BB batteries and inverter - Under the front bed, or in the not so big basement. I'll listen to suggestions on that too.

Thanks in advance.

Quick question, my 373 has the same port on the roof. I went to Jarboni website and it says that the interior should have a sticker labeled prep for solar but mine never had it on the inside. I was curious to where your remote wire from the front storage went to on the inside of your rig?
Old 06-20-2021, 01:35 PM   #38
JJaxon

I found my wire spliced with crimp nuts in behind the InCommand panel in the storage bay. Only the PV cable. No other modules or components. It then ran to the battery compartment. So, only the wire and roof port are what you'll get from factory.
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Old 06-20-2021, 01:49 PM   #39
mikec557

Quote:
I found my wire spliced with crimp nuts in behind the InCommand panel in the storage bay. Only the PV cable. No other modules or components. It then ran to the battery compartment. So, only the wire and roof port are what you'll get from factory.
True, you'll need to supply a solar charge controller. Lots to choose from. Whether you go with the less expensive PWM or the slightly more expensive MPPT, I recommend buying one that gives you Bluetooth connectivity.

Out of curiosity, what gauge wire did they use? It's imprinted on the side of the wire. I'm guessing 8ga (awg). I hope it's not smaller gauge.
Old 06-20-2021, 01:57 PM   #40
JJaxon

8 Guage on mine. Works for my current situation. I tried to pull the factory through and up it to 8, but it's fastened in the wall somewhere. If you want to go upside, just run new wire a different route. My option was through the wall between the shower and bedroom. Not impossible, but they could have done better.
Andersen Ultimate hitch

Tags
solar