Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-30-2020, 03:31 PM   #1
JJaxon

Ordered my solar today!

After toiling, learning, and procrastinating, I ordered $6300.00 +/- worth of solar equipment, my winter project.

210w panels (4) = 840w total
Tilt mounts for all panels.
Misc cabling and tools.

100Ah 12v Battle Born batteries (4)
Victron 150/70 MPPT solar charge controller w/ BT
Victron Multiplus 3000inverter charger
Victron Energy Bus smart dongle
Victron BMV 712 Battery monitor
other stuff

There are probably other items i've ordered, but my mind is not remembering all of it. There will be more to order locally once I know battery cable lengths and sizes too.

Almost everything was a Cyber Monday discounted price. Glancing at the receipts and my pre estimates I've saved about $720 as shown.
The labor is mine to own.
2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Youtube channel - Wingin' it with John
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 03:36 PM   #2
falconetti

wow! cant wait to see progress pics.
falconetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:20 PM   #3
midmo

Sounds like an awesome system! Congrats and wishing you a smooth install
midmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 04:41 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Congrats. Your going to be busy!! Post progress and pics.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 06:21 PM   #5
JJaxon

I'll be making an install video for my YouTube channel. It will not be a how to,,, but more of a how I did it... and I'll post a link here. Expect April ish.
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Old 11-30-2020, 06:21 PM   #6
BeagleMan

You're ahead of me! LOL! But, good looking set up! Cannot wait to see the end result. Keep us posted
Roll Tide Roll
BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 07:42 PM   #7
roadglide

The smart dongel sounds like fun. The system your designing will run microwaves ,toasters. I bet you’re running a full House system to the converter. I have small a solar system that functional with two 250 watt panels . Will be looking forward following your install.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 09:16 AM   #8
KRumm

You have a great setup!... The only thing I would I would recommend is to add a 5th panel... That would put you over the 70 amp limit of your charge controller but it will be highly unlikely that you will get 100% efficiency of your array and if it goes over 70 amps by 10-20% it won't hurt the charge controller
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 02:06 PM   #9
JJaxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
You have a great setup!... The only thing I would I would recommend is to add a 5th panel... That would put you over the 70 amp limit of your charge controller but it will be highly unlikely that you will get 100% efficiency of your array and if it goes over 70 amps by 10-20% it won't hurt the charge controller
This is interesting indeed. I won't plan on adding panels until I get some real world use and results from this as it is. However, I have no working knowledge of "going over" on the charge controller. It's a learn as I go project too. Thanks for recommendation.
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Old 12-02-2020, 06:59 PM   #10
andrewl04

I have been doing research/planning for a similar setup. Although Black Friday is over, curious where you found the best deals for the Victron gear. Good luck with your install!
andrewl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:51 PM   #11
JJaxon

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewl04 View Post
I have been doing research/planning for a similar setup. Although Black Friday is over, curious where you found the best deals for the Victron gear. Good luck with your install!
Battle Born batteries had a cyber Monday sale, I got better prices from them on all the Victron than I could find anywhere else. Their support people are incredibly helpful, helping me understand the size charge controller, other things compatible based on the panels I bought somewhere else.

*side note - it all shipped today via FedEx!!
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Old 12-03-2020, 04:29 AM   #12
andrewl04

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
Battle Born batteries had a cyber Monday sale, I got better prices from them on all the Victron than I could find anywhere else. Their support people are incredibly helpful, helping me understand the size charge controller, other things compatible based on the panels I bought somewhere else.

*side note - it all shipped today via FedEx!!
Nice. I picked up a BB battery from them as part of their sale too. Still finalizing the charge controller, etc. that I’ll be getting. Thanks and enjoy/good luck.
andrewl04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #13
DevilDoc7898

Three years ago I installed a solar system on my TT due to power outages from hurricanes here in Florida. I run 4 solar batteries and the whole TT runs from those. I even run the A/C. Well worth the money. I only spent 3k on mine for panels, inverter, charge controller and parts to install.
DevilDoc7898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:54 AM   #14
Wenwanderer

You’ll love it!

We have a similar set up. 8ea 175wt panels and 7ea BB 24v batteries. We love the freedom to camp anywhere and be off grid. We’ve had our system 1.5 years, and have never had any issues! Hope you enjoy your set up as much as we do.
Wenwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:36 PM   #15
mikec557

+1 for BattleBorn

For those still shopping for products ...

Not accounting for Holiday sale pricing which may or may not be better elsewhere, BattleBorn gives a pretty good discount to members of Escapees RV Club. Annual membership for Escapees is about $40/45 a year so you have to factor that in if your pricing things. This is what the discount is as of now:

"You can now purchase their 100Ah 12V deep cycle (non-GC2) batteries for an exclusive price of $874 per battery, plus a 15% discount on accessories"

Accessories includes Victron and Progressive Dynamics products among other things.

I bought a lot of my system through them.
2x Battleborn 100Ah, Victron 100/50 MPPT charge controller w/BT, Victron BMV-712 w/BT, Progressive Dynamics Charger/Converter for lithium.
2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax (sold)
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 08:33 PM   #16
Dallasrules

Are you going to use a combiner box for the panels? I liked the ease of wiring, the fact that you have a breaker that you can turn off, and the added lightning protection. Well worth the added $124. I love my Victron battery monitor. Also, don't forget your inline fuses. I bought a hammer crimper from Amazon and cut all my cables to length. It was only about $17.

I bought my solar setup from a guy that purchased all the items, and then never got it up and running. I got 4 x 250w panels morning star ts45 controller, 2000w/4000w inverter, and 4 125A vmax tank batteries, plus all the fuses and most of the wiring for $1500. I added the combiner box and victron 712 battery monitor. I also just picked up another 7 vmax tank batteries off of ebay from a guy moving and taking his system down. I got all 7 batteries for $500. He says they have never been below 50%. The vmax tanks are great batteries for those of us that can't afford Brattleborn lithiums.

By the way if you want to learn more about the benefits of oversizing your array, morningstar has a free webinar on their website.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 02:22 AM   #17
SR71 Jet Mech

Man sounds like a great setup. You will enjoy the project!! Mine has been up for 3 years now and I still “tinker” all the time. Trying to figure out how to heat without propane or tons of electricity is my now project to enhance my rig. Opens the door to a whole new world of “tinkering “.

Can’t wait to hear about it down the road!!

Scott

SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:02 PM   #18
JJaxon

Update --->

I mounted my 4 panels last night on the roof. Doing some video as I go. No wiring yet. Video will come out eventually in parts.

My 369 has the factory roof port installed. Looking for suggestions on Combiner boxes, Do you have one? Pros and Cons? Cheap vs. Expensive? Does it matter where it's located on the roof?

Next is decide where to locate the 4 BB batteries and inverter - Under the front bed, or in the not so big basement. I'll listen to suggestions on that too.

Thanks in advance.
Andersen Ultimate hitch
Old 12-13-2020, 06:03 PM   #19
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJaxon View Post
I mounted my 4 panels last night on the roof. Doing some video as I go. No wiring yet. Video will come out eventually in parts.

My 369 has the factory roof port installed. Looking for suggestions on Combiner boxes, Do you have one? Pros and Cons? Cheap vs. Expensive? Does it matter where it's located on the roof?

Next is decide where to locate the 4 BB batteries and inverter - Under the front bed, or in the not so big basement. I'll listen to suggestions on that too.

Thanks in advance.
I think your panels are a little over 800 watts. On my two port Zamp port, that Keystone pre-mounted on the rooftop, it's embossed saying 500 watts max. What does yours say? How many SAE ports does it have?

I like the combiner box setup from AMSolar but it's a little spendy and would have required me to rewire the panels using their wire. For my needs (3 installs) it was easier to use the wire that comes on the panels. I used Y-connectors on the rooftop then ran only one pair of +/- wires through the roof. Whether you do that or use a combiner box, you should locate it directly over where you want the wires to come down inside the RV.

Hmmm. I just reread your question. Are you thinking about using a combiner AND utilize the rooftop port?

Just my two cents, YMMV
Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 06:07 PM   #20
Dallasrules

Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

I purchased this combiner box off Amazon for $120. Its all pre wired, a fuse for each panel, a breaker to kill the power, and lightning protection.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FH7JTTL/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_CnZWteOudmjTW
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar