Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2022, 12:53 PM   #1
flugelboneman

Making bed in 27RES

We have just acquired the Courgar. We are quite delighted with fit and finish, technology. HOWEVER, making the bed is a dreaded chore. Almost impossible without two working together. Accessing the head of the bed is really tough with the elevated platform on which the mattress lays. Has anyone any suggestions about how to make this daily job a bit easier.
flugelboneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:01 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

We just leave it LOL. Nobody is coming to inspect and it’s only going to get ruffled again at night.

We do sort of straighten the sheets and blankets.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:03 PM   #3
flugelboneman

I'm with you brother. Only prob is wifey is a nurse and beds MUST be made. I'm just the patient.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:04 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Ours is north/south and the head is in between the closets. We reach as far as we can and say oh well.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:07 PM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Do you have the king bed? If so that's a bear.

What we've finally decided is that changing sheets is a 2 person job unless you just want to get really aggravated moving that mattress around. On this one we determined to have the king removed and cut it down to a res queen which works much better. Something like that may be an option for you. If not, get DW on the one bottom end, you on the other bottom end and "heave ho" toward the foot of the bed so you can get to the front!!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 01:17 PM   #6
jasin1

some of the members have used this mod…need to buy a couple of slide cable repair kits …some thru bolts and a few of tubes of dicor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E645144C-F8FE-4DD8-BE20-0C4918310852.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	40457  
Old 06-26-2022, 01:27 PM   #7
flugelboneman

Thx Danny. I did that right off. We had a $1000.00 Queen that we kept from the former RV. I cut the plywood base down to queen from King and I think it did help a bit. I think I will put down self stick floor tiles on the rough press-board bed surface which should help to move the mattress around and protect it from wearing.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:32 PM   #8
flugelboneman

Jasin, that is definitely a winnner. I will be ordering the cables today from Amazon. SWWBO was not laughing. I loved it. You cant please everybody, can you.
Old 06-26-2022, 01:35 PM   #9
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flugelboneman View Post
Jasin, that is definitely a winnner. I will be ordering the cables today from Amazon. SWWBO was not laughing. I loved it. You cant please everybody, can you.
……the residential queen mattress was the best upgrade for us
Old 06-26-2022, 01:37 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

If you use them I think I would make sure I had a kind that had beveled edges. You'll need to make some room for the bed platform to raise and lower where it's hinged and a tile that just has squared edges would tear the mattress I suspect. We haven't had trouble with the plywood on ours. It has a sanded side up so the mattress slides pretty easily.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:40 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd think twice about putting something "too slick" on the platform under the mattress. During towing, as the trailer bounces, the mattress will slide off the platform. It won't go further than the cabinets/wardrobe before it stops, but it's a real PITA to pick it up and remake the bed every time you get to a destination. Same with cushions on the booth dinette. They tend to take their own trips as you're on yours.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 07:10 AM   #12
wegone

We had the same issue in our trailer, our heads jammed way up between two side cabinets an over-hanging cabinet, in the very front of out trailer.
It has a solid wall and doors as well, and air circulation was terrible.

I reversed the bed, I extended the sleeping support, platform, and we now sleep where we can actually get air from our windows

Making the bed, is still a chore tho, arg.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:05 AM   #13
jim1

Hi and welcome to the group. We changed our real crappy weird sized RV king size to a residential queen mattress. It's very very nice and comfy. We put one of those heavy duty moving blankets down on the plywood under the mattress. It works great the mattress doesn't slide around but you can move it if needed, and it keeps the high quality slivers and screws from poking the bed. Next RV will be ordered without the high priced junkie bed. Oh and I can't even give the RV king bed away.
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:29 AM   #14
Bullitt

We recently purchased our Cougar and My wife is a retired Nurse so she has to make up at least attempt to make up the bed. She said it was a challenge for sure. We may go to a queen next year if it becomes a problem for us. This year we are not planning any big trips anyway. It is amazing the knowledge you can get owning an RV. Guess I never give thought to making up a bed.
Old 06-27-2022, 10:04 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1 View Post
Hi and welcome to the group. We changed our real crappy weird sized RV king size to a residential queen mattress. It's very very nice and comfy. We put one of those heavy duty moving blankets down on the plywood under the mattress. It works great the mattress doesn't slide around but you can move it if needed, and it keeps the high quality slivers and screws from poking the bed. Next RV will be ordered without the high priced junkie bed. Oh and I can't even give the RV king bed away.

Jim if you happen to find "the" next RV and it has the king mattress in it that you don't want just do like we did; tell the dealership you want the existing RV (read cheap) removed and a mattress of your choosing installed instead. On this one I just told them to take the factory mattress out and I didn't care what they did with it or who got it. The mattress store just took the mattress to the dealer and they put it in for me.
Old 06-27-2022, 06:54 PM   #16
flugelboneman

Eddie, what did you do for reading lights when you reversed the bed. I think its a great option to have the windows close by. Its a bit confining like you say, being surrounded by the heavy dark closets and overheads. If I can figure a way to have reading lights I'm gonna give it a try.
Old 06-29-2022, 05:54 AM   #17
Todd Burton

We use one of those extender grabbers like this, it works great Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220629-085313_Amazon%20Shopping.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	40507
Todd Burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:51 AM   #18
Ellen

Buy contour rv sheets. (AB Styles are nice). Mark each of the corners along the seam with permanent marker: side, end. Then you don’t go crazy choosing the wrong direction. Pull the mattress down, away from the end wall…not much room but every little bit helps. With the top of the bottom sheet in your hands and the rest bunched up, crawl up towards the head of the bed. Secure the two top corners. Then crawl back down the bed bringing the rest of the sheet with you and secure the bottom. Repeat with the top sheet, blankets, etc. aerobic exercise!!! I got really lazy about changing the sheets! A friend just does the bottom sheet and sleeping bags.
I have a set of rv king contour sheets you can have for the postage. Let me know.
PS. We just traded the Cougar for a medium sized motor home with a bedroom slide. Bed making is still a stretch but sooo much easier.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 10:52 AM   #19
SC GT Yellow Jacket

It takes 2 to tango!

We have a 2020 Cougar 29RLD bought new in 2019. It has same size king mattress as yours. After only 7 nights we replaced the mattress with a quality memory foam mattress, same size. We have learned to position ourselves on each side of the mattress, and slide the mattress off the base toward the dresser as far as it will go, propping it on the dresser. We can stretch and reach the top to make it up.

Covering the osb base is a good idea to prevent damage to mattress. I will do that soon.

We are extremely pleased with the Cougar 29RLD.
SC GT Yellow Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:30 AM   #20
SandyBurg

We made it about ten nights on the mattress that came with our camper. We purchased a Cali King that could be cut down. It's awesome. We cut the length to be about 4inches longer than the support. It doesn't hit when we close the slide. Then we eventually cut the width down. For two reasons. Mainly to make it easier to get in and out of the bed; but, making it is also easier now. It's a pain, but I can do it by myself. Hubby's back doesn't like the lifting and stretching needed. Plus I really like how I make a bed. lol We just give the king size sheets a little more tuck and no problems.

Ken, Sandy and Dan with Bailey our puppy
2018 GMC Sierra Denali Dully 4WD
2021 Avalanche 365MB
SandyBurg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed