Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2022, 03:52 PM   #1
JavaBrewer

2006 Hornet 26 RBS 30 amp issues

Hi Community,

Great to have an online resource like this for the Keystone/Hornet line of trailers! Likely my first post here.

For the last 4 years I have my 26 RBS travel trailer on my property hooked up to a dedicated 30 amp breaker in my main home panel. Zero issues until the last few weeks. Recently the AC unit would not run and interior lights were very dim and or totally out. The Microwave would also not run and the refrigerator was also not working on AC power. After resetting all circuit breakers on the house and trailer no joy. So I figured the 30 amp circuit breaker on my home panel was now defective and just replaced it. Turned everything on and still no love for the AC unit or even the fan circulation. Lights were also still not working. Well I tried the microwave and it worked and when running all the lights came on full strength and the AC fan would also work...but not the actual AC unit. When I turned off the microwave then everything else also went dead. We have a portable electric heater and if I plug that in and turn on same result, interior lights full strength and trailer AC fan runs but no actual AC.

I have calls in to local electricians to come out and diagnose but they are at least a week out and we are in a heat wave. We moved my senior Mom into our house for the meantime.

Anyone have experience with similar issue that can offer advice?

Many thanks!
David
JavaBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:00 PM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Have you checked the battery? If the battery has a shorted cell it could be causing issues. The air conditioner runs on 120vac but the thermostate and relays are 12vdc.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:06 PM   #3
Roper46

Also David, welcome to the forum from south Georgia.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 02:20 PM   #4
skids

Bad neutral connections can cause weird issues.
Old 09-06-2022, 10:19 AM   #5
JavaBrewer

Thank you all for posting sorry for the late response! It turns out flybouy nailed it on the head. I took the battery in to local autoparts store and it was defective. So I returned it as a core and got a new RV/Marine battery. Hooked up and all was well again.

That lasted 2 weeks and now all is dead again. Trailer is still hooked to 30 amp home service but nothing works. How dow I go about diagnosing this issue. Apparently the 30 amp feed is NOT keeping the battery charged?

Thanks again!
JavaBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:23 AM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaBrewer View Post
Thank you all for posting sorry for the late response! It turns out flybouy nailed it on the head. I took the battery in to local autoparts store and it was defective. So I returned it as a core and got a new RV/Marine battery. Hooked up and all was well again.

That lasted 2 weeks and now all is dead again. Trailer is still hooked to 30 amp home service but nothing works. How dow I go about diagnosing this issue. Apparently the 30 amp feed is NOT keeping the battery charged?

Thanks again!
Java, what do you mean nothing works? Does your microwave have a light on it? That means there is AC. The ceiling lights will be 12V. Please describe the "main home panel" hook up. How far to your camper from this hook up? What type wire and what gauge? Do you have power coming into your power center? Is there a battery cut off switch in your camper? Lots of unknowns that make trying to come up with advice problematic.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 11:35 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Java initially you said the trailer had been there for 4 years, I am assuming everything was working fine until your post about the problem? So, the first battery was dead and you replaced it with a new one. You said "everything" worked so I'm assuming the lights, microwave, A/C etc....all functioned normally. That new battery lasted a couple of weeks and all is dead again. Pull the converter leads off the battery and see what you have. Should have 13+ volts when read with a meter. The trailer is 16 years old and the converter may have crapped out.

Edit: Be sure the trailer is plugged into shore power when you test the leads. Also, I don't know that a 2006 would have a battery disconnect but if you do, did it get turned off somehow?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote