Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2022, 06:30 AM   #1
RMC

Water pump run on

We have had a problem with the water pump for about a year now and it is getting worse.

When you run a faucet the pump will activate normally but instead of shutting off afterwards it keeps running at lower volume. It first started during low-battery conditions. When at full battery power or solar it would shut off as expected. But over the last few weeks it has deteriorated further and now we have to be connected to power (or generator) to prevent this from happening.

Otherwise the pump works fine. Water pressure is adequate and it turns on when needed. The work-around is to leave the water pump off and only turn it on when we need to run the toilet or a faucet.

Is this a warning sign that the pump is failing? The trailer is a 2019 Passport 2200RBWE. The pump is a FLOJET Model 03526144.
RMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:45 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Sounds to me like a battery issue. Have you checked the battery voltage when they are not being charged?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:08 AM   #3
dutchmensport

That's a new one for me? I've never heard of a water pump continuing to run after the faucet was shut off, except when they start sucking air due to a failing pump or a valve left open.

Considering the pump functions properly when hooked up to shore power or a generator, you can run a simple test on the strength of your battery.

Disconnect from shore power, do not run a generator, and now simply turn on an overhead light and see how bright it is. Now turn on a second light. If the first light dims noticeably, then the battery is weak. It's not holding a full charge. Of course, disconnect from solar too when you do this.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:25 AM   #4
RMC

This problem first surfaced late last summer with the original 2x 6volt batteries. It was our third season with the batteries and it was no surprise that their capacity was not what is was when we first got the trailer. In fact when the problem first started it was not an entirely bad issue since it warned us that the battery power was getting low.

I replaced the batteries earlier this year and that is when I discovered that the cable connecting the two batteries was corroded. I replaced that cable but the problem resurfaced again on our first dry camping trip of this season. Similar to last season the problem showed up a day into the trip when the batteries ran down. And like last year we are having difficulty keeping the batteries charged. We ran out of power after three days even though we had our 100W solar connected during the day and ran the generator for a couple of hours a day. Although in defense of the batteries the generator is a 100W Champion dual fuel running in “ECO mode”. Past experience with this generator was that “ECO mode” does very little to charge the batteries.

So to your point(s), yes we are having issues keeping the batteries charged. When fully charged the batteries are fine but things go downhill quickly.
RMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:54 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Sounds like you have your answer to your water pump issue. If the cables connecting the batteries were corroded I suggest checking the battery ground to frame cable. Remove the ring terminal frome the frame and make sure all connections are good. If any battery cable has corrosion inside the terminal in-between the terminal crimp and the wire then replace the cable.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, water pump