Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2022, 01:29 PM   #1
Ed Beard

Tire Question

I know there's a lot of information out there. I've reading some of the forums about them. My Cougar currently has three Trailer King tires and one china bomb on it. I was putting down some concrete blocks Saturday for it to sit on. We heard a loud boom, one of the TK tires popped just sitting there, so I have my spare on it now. I've been reading that the Carlisle Radial Trail and the GY Endurance are both suppose to be good. The Carlisle's are a little cheaper. Would you guys recommend one over the other? The size I have now are ST225/75R15 E. I'm most likely getting them from Discount Tire, five new one's. I don't want to have to trust the current tires for even a spare.

Thanks for the input.
Cedar Park, Tx
Ed Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:32 PM   #2
jsb5717

I’m glad you’re looking to upgrade your tires. You actually have 4 china bombs as the Tire Kings also have a questionable reputation. From what I’ve seen reported from others on this and the Montana Forum both the Carlisle and Goodyear Endurance are good choices.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:39 PM   #3
Canonman

I'm on my second set of Carlisle's. The price is still reasonable although up from the first set. Stll, a good price for a good tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MGL8688.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	40347  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:47 PM   #4
bsmith0404

If you’re buying from Discount, look at their Hartland tires. That’s all I’ve been putting on all of my trailers now for the past 6 years. Haven’t had a problem yet. Have them on two RVs, car hauler, and utility trailer. And yes, you have 4 China Bombs.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 01:47 PM   #5
dutchmensport

My last two travel trailers had Carlisle's on them. My current fifth wheel has Hercules tires. Both have served me well. I can't say that for the original tires that came on any of my campers though.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:00 PM   #6
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Beard View Post
I know there's a lot of information out there. I've reading some of the forums about them. My Cougar currently has three Trailer King tires and one china bomb on it. I was putting down some concrete blocks Saturday for it to sit on. We heard a loud boom, one of the TK tires popped just sitting there, so I have my spare on it now. I've been reading that the Carlisle Radial Trail and the GY Endurance are both suppose to be good. The Carlisle's are a little cheaper. Would you guys recommend one over the other? The size I have now are ST225/75R15 E. I'm most likely getting them from Discount Tire, five new one's. I don't want to have to trust the current tires for even a spare.

Thanks for the input.
Ed, I have the same size tires on my Cougar and use Carlisle Radial Trail. I buy them via Walmart online as they are cheaper and have them installed at a tire shop over in Castroville. I have had several sets and they have all given great service. The Goodyear Endurance are also good tires but more expensive and I don't think the quality is better, only more expensive. You say you have three Trailer King tires and one china bomb? The TK tires are the ultimate china bombs. If you go with Discount Tire, make sure they can take your camper into their work area (room) and look up the price on Discounttire.com as it will be less than the store price and they will price match.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 02:25 PM   #7
Socaldave

I just replaced all 4 of my China bombs last week with the GY Endurance. ordered them directly from the GY website, add promo code KOA-MEMBER20 and get 20% off. They were $482 before taxes and that was with installation. Tires were shipped top my local tire shop and installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	40348  
Old 06-20-2022, 02:26 PM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaldave View Post
I just replaced all 4 of my China bombs last week with the GY Endurance. ordered them directly from the GY website, add promo code KOA-MEMBER20 and get 20% off. They were $482 before taxes and that was with installation. Tires were shipped top my local tire shop and installed.
Do you need to be a KOA member? That discount sounds like a member benefit.
Old 06-20-2022, 02:42 PM   #9
Ed Beard

Thanks for all of the good replies. I now have to decide where to buy and which brand to get.

BSmith, I'll have to look into the Hartland tires, never heard of that brand before.

Thanks
Cedar Park, Tx
Old 06-20-2022, 02:52 PM   #10
Socaldave

No membership required. I think it expires on the 29th of this month.
Old 06-20-2022, 03:15 PM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

I will also vouch for the Carlisle Radial HD tires. I never had a problem with them and the price is/was right compared to the Endurance and just as good a tire IMO. I've not run the Endurance but from experience and everything I've read/heard you won't go wrong with either one.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 03:28 PM   #12
wiredgeorge

Quote:
No membership required. I think it expires on the 29th of this month.
That is a real good price. The Carlisle Radial HD Trail are $111.12 each at walmart.com with free shipping plus tax. Walmart doesn't install but might if you brought in the rims.
Old 06-20-2022, 05:50 PM   #13
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Beard View Post
Thanks for all of the good replies. I now have to decide where to buy and which brand to get.

BSmith, I'll have to look into the Hartland tires, never heard of that brand before.

Thanks
They’re made for Discount Tire. To be honest, I don’t know who makes them for DT, but it’s basically their house brand. Been a great tire for me. I used to run the Carlisle Radial Trail as well. No complaints about them, just decided to switch to the Hartland and have been happy enough to not switch back.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 08:51 AM   #14
Ed Beard

I decided to get the Carlisle Radial Trail from Discount Tire. With mounting, balancing and road hazard it will set e back about $700. This camping stuff is getting to be expensive.
Cedar Park, Tx
Old 06-22-2022, 09:13 AM   #15
CWtheMan

Quote:
Just a safety reminder; check your valve stems to insure they have a rating for the increased inflation pressures of 65 PSI.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:07 AM   #16
wrvond

For the record, Trailer King tires are made in Thailand, not China.

I have had a Carlisle tire that never touched the ground explode. I've got no experience with the Goodyear tires, but I did just read that they have a six year warranty. That indicates to me that Goodyear expects their service life to be six years vs. the usual four. That extra two years service over the Carlisle could make the Goodyear the better value.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 10:13 AM   #17
Socaldave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWtheMan View Post
Just a safety reminder; check your valve stems to insure they have a rating for the increased inflation pressures of 65 PSI.
Yep, they used the high pressure metal stems at no additional cost.
Old 06-22-2022, 11:11 AM   #18
CWtheMan

Quote:
Yep, they used the high pressure metal stems at no additional cost.
Good deal! Metal stems are preferred for use with TPMS.

Name:	thumbs-up-clipart-emoji-3.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	40370
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:32 PM   #19
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post

I have had a Carlisle tire that never touched the ground explode. I've got no experience with the Goodyear tires, but I did just read that they have a six year warranty. That indicates to me that Goodyear expects their service life to be six years vs. the usual four. That extra two years service over the Carlisle could make the Goodyear the better value.
Fact is, there is no 6 year warranty. This is from the etrailer.com website and applies to the GY Endurance:

"Limited Warranty with Free Tire Replacement
This tire has a limited warranty with free tire replacement on workmanship defects. You are eligible for this warranty within the first 12 months from date of purchase or the first 2/32" of usable tread, whichever comes first."
Old 06-22-2022, 04:28 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post

A couple of things to think about; TK tires are made with oversight and specs by some group of folks from China/Thailand etc. They reflect the same "quality' that every other product from China when left to their own inspection and quality parameters hence "China bombs". As far as TKs being made in Thailand, that won't be accurate. My china bomb as well as many others had plant codes in China.

As far as a factory published "expectation" of a tires longevity....well, that's what I'd say too if I wanted to sell my product. I've not read the Endurance warranty lately but if they gave you a free new tire anytime within 6 years that would be one thing, prorated makes tire "warranties" useless to me.

I will admit 30 years ago Carlisle had a rep like GY Marathons and I steered clear of them. Not so today but there are anomalies. When did your Carlise explode and what were the circumstances? A spare, under a dark tire cover...how old?
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote