Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2022, 06:07 PM   #1
bsmith0404

Holiday Rambler Converter

I know it’s not a Keystone, but I also know we have a lot of knowledge on this forum. As some of you know, I recently acquired a vintage 1976 Holiday Rambler Presidential 3000 332. Finally got around to plugging it in at the house and realized the original converter is toast. The previous owner, actually the one before him, installed a new modern converter on the dresser, plugged it into one of the regular outlets and cut/spliced into 4 wires from the original. So now everything in the RV other than the AC is connected to one breaker. I believe the 4 wires are for the lights, furnace, water pump, and vent fans. They were on a perm site for 40 years, no need for a battery. There are two bundles of wires going to two connectors but they all are tied together. I haven’t gotten the meter out but they appear to be power and ground. I’ll be honest I have t had to do much with converters in the past other than change one out and it was a direct swap. Haven’t dealt with all this “stuff” before. If anyone can provide some knowledge of how these old beasts were wired, the proper way to wire in a modern replacement or to find a replacement that is designed to replace the original, I’d really appreciate it. BTW, can’t find any identifying marks on the original.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DB2DB951-9A69-4DBA-8746-C9A72AC11AC3.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	40349   Click image for larger version

Name:	4E6E4C79-B8FC-4B50-B44A-52F48316E3B4.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	40350  
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 06:12 PM   #2
bsmith0404

Here’s the original
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C2BA7303-D499-40AB-9416-0AF316DE7D50.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	40351  
Old 06-21-2022, 08:19 AM   #3
bsmith0404

Well I think I’m just over thinking this. I’m used to two connections, positive and negative. I think this is the same thing, just with connectors that have multiple wires. If I splice all the wires together on each connector and connect one to pos and the other to neg, it should work. I’ll have to pull the meter out and make sure nothin hon the pos side is shorted to ground. Just not used to seeing that type of connection and my first impression was oh ****, now what.

Just trying to figure out/understand wiring on a trailer that’s almost as old as me. I’ve also posted this on some vintage trailer sites, but it seems like not too many people have dealt with this stuff. I figured there would be a bunch of them, especially on a vintage site.

Tags
converter