Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2022, 09:00 AM   #1
markcee

BAL Accuslide - Adjustment Advice

My large 12' dinette slide has a couple of possibly related issues:

1. The room tilts a little over an inch from top to bottom when extended.

2. The standoff bracket on the top right side (as you face the slide) looks to me as if it was installed in not quite the right location. The bracket is fully positioned at it's bottom 'stop', yet when the room extends, the cable is being pulled upward. Looks like if I had had a little more room to move the cable in it's adjustment slot, I could make it run true.

I had this cable fray and had to replace last year. Pretty certain this was due to the constant pressure being applied by the badly positioned bracket as the slide extends and retracts. I had an RV shop do the cable replacement and attempt to adjust the room tilt at the same time. He managed to take a little tilt out of the room but claims he could do no more without fully removing the slide and starting from scratch. He also advised to expect the cable to go again in the future.

When the slide extends, I refrain from moving it out the last couple of inches as the top trim makes contact first. If I continue to extend, the trim already in contact with the inside wall makes a pretty unpleasant noise, so I don't want to push my luck and continue. If I do, I can take a bit more of the tilt shown in the pic out, as the upper portion of the slide is acting like a brace, causing the bottom of the slide to lift and straighten out a bit more.

So....

Is the top to bottom tilt a cable adjustment issue?

Is there a way/need to de-tach and move the standoff bracket? If so, any special process?

Note: in the pic showing the cable/bracket, the cable appears straight. It's during the extension that I see the upward pull on the cable. When the room reaches near full extension it seems to straighten out and the cable relaxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2798.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	40208   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2800.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	40209   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2801.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	274.1 KB
ID:	40210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2802.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	40211  
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:29 PM   #2
wrvond

I found this video to be very informative. For simple adjustments I didn’t need to remove the facia.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 05:39 AM   #3
markcee

Thanks....he does use that top in/bottom out issue as an adjustment scenario in the video so that helps. Now, just need the courage to give it a go on my own!

Won't solve the issue with the bracket, but would love to get that slide more level.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 06:33 AM   #4
wrvond

The last time I retracted my slide it made a big ol' BANG when it was just about all the way in. I figured I had a broken cable so ordered a repair kit. Once it arrived I dared to extend the slide. It slid out quietly and smoothly and there was no broken cable. However, I noted the IN cable on the left end was quite loose. I'm guessing the slide was allowed to get crooked coming back in and then re-seated and made the noise.
I studied several YouTube videos and attempted to adjust that cable using a regular Vise Grip and 3/8 and 7/16 box end wrenches. That really didn't work so good due to clearance issues.
I've now got a pair of needle nose vise grips and reversible ratcheting wrenches.
I also like the tensioning information he provides. It makes a lot more sense than the factory how to video that has the guy running them all in as tight as they'll go with a drill.

Good luck on your adjustment!

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 05:33 PM   #5
Sulphur1

Interesting this is still happening. I've tried every adjustment put to me including advice from BAL in Ca. None achieved flat mating the slide with wall of our 2011 Cougar High Country. I'm convinced it is to do with the balance point (wear bar ) too far inside. Because of this position it tilts too early and the lower cables cannot cope with pulling the slide in (motor stops under torque). The bedroom slide has rollers that are positioned as close as possible with the inside of the 5er wall and mates perfectly. Ball suggested jacking up the slide and pulling in with bottom cables as tight as possible. This worked but as soon as the slide was cycled in & out again it returned to out of alignment. It also risked cable breaking or worse!
I'm about to shorten the slide and will set up with rollers and wear bar in the same position as the bedroom slideout.
Keystone- I don't enjoy sitting on a slope from new! Couldn't return as in Australia.
Sulphur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:16 AM   #6
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
My large 12' dinette slide has a couple of possibly related issues:
Here's another Accu-slide adjustment video. Perhaps it contains some info you can use.

Also, the install manual and the service manual. Maybe there will be something in them. ??

https://www.balrvproducts.com/downlo...ion-manual.pdf

https://www.nexusrv.com/fckimages/pd...ice-manual.pdf

Good luck.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide