Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2022, 06:19 AM   #1
wrvond

Water filtration

Currently I use the Camco blue water filter for sediment removal and a Pur water pitcher for drinking and cooking.
I'm thinking about changing over to a clear dual filter 10" unit to filter all the water entering the camper.
I'm wondering if a 0.5 micron filter passes water quickly enough that there is no noticeable drop in water pressure or volume at the tap or shower.

Thanks!

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:54 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

It shouldn't be an issue until it starts to clog. Then it will need to be changed obviously. I will say this though, use a quality water hose. If you are using the typical hose that comes in the "free starter kit" from the dealer then the flow is already restricted. A good 5/8" hose (drinking water safe) makes a difference IMO.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:51 AM   #3
NH_Bulldog

What is wrong with the Camco filter you are using? It filters sediment and has activated carbon for Taste, odor and chlorine removal. We don’t have a municipal water supply at home and are very sensitive to chemicals like chlorine and chloramine, as well as other “off” tastes, and the Camco filter is great for us. We had a filter-pitcher once and gave it away. The water always seemed to gain a “fishy” smell that was very off-putting. For us anyway, the Camco blue filter is a simple fix and we haven’t felt the need to make water setup bigger and more complicated.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:49 AM   #4
GHen

I agree, the blue filter works great for us. Not that I feel we need it, but we also have a small brita filter/pitcher in the fridge for drinking water.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 09:34 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

I would recommend to everyone to buy a TDS meter. You can get the "pen style" for a fairly low price. Then you'll know where you stand as far as Total Dissolved Solids go. Anything further would require a more extensive test kit or sending a sample to a lab. Obviouisly sending a sample in is not practically for camp grounds but i would recommend sending off a sample if you have well water at home.
Old 06-12-2022, 01:41 PM   #6
wrvond

I’ve got under sink filters in my home but if I boil that filtered water it leaves behind a white residue. If, in addition, I run the water through a Pur filter pitcher I no longer get that residue. When I use a Camco water filter on my camper I get the residue there also. Once I run the Camco filtered water through a Pur pitcher I no longer get the residue. This tells me the Camco filter is not effective against dissolved solids.
Additionally if you want to guard against giardia cryptosporidium cysts 0.5 micron is required.

Old 06-12-2022, 01:53 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

That's just one of the advantages of using a replaceable element water filter. You can buy a a 10" cartridge with several different media options to fit the needs of the water being filter as opposed to a "standard" inexpensive disposable carbon filter. Cysts are one of the common issue with well water that should be filtered out. If you use two filters as you originally asked about the first should be a sediment filter to catch the larger stuff anmd the second filter a finer filter with media that will be more specific to the water.

I've never been a fan of the Camco in-line disposable filters as they are not that effective in my opinion.
Old 06-13-2022, 04:07 AM   #8
ChuckS

The blue Camco filter is a joke at best.. I suppose it’s better than nothing but a dual stage filter will do a much better job.. I would not waste my money on it..

You can get a decent dual stage filter for under $100 that won’t restrict the water flow like a Camco will

First two images are what ba Camco blue filter looks like

Last 8mage is what a dual stage filter does for you.. image is my water filter at a place in eastern Idaho with some really crappy water but the sediment filter did a superb job

I run a .5 Micron carbon filter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BC2F5C7E-5678-45BB-B57A-2B81CC2F01F1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	40221   Click image for larger version

Name:	E36AFD16-248D-4FED-978E-8A0AC48326DD.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	40222  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 05:57 AM   #9
dutchmensport

After use the Camco Blue in-line filter, I always hook it up to the water hose backwards and flush it out. It's amazing how much "gunk" comes shooting out. It takes only about 3 seconds to do that. I fill my fresh water tank and use my on-board water pump. I never hook up to shore water and leave the spigot turned on. Back-flushing that Camco filter every 40-50 gallons of water helps them from clogging up and works good enough for me.

If you leave the shore water turned on all the time, you'll never know how much water is actually passing through that filter. They do need to be back flushed often. They are not the greatest filter in the world, but do a decent job for what they are. In the end, it's still everyone's personal choice.

If you are looking at a whole camper filtration system, then don't cheap out. Pay the price and get something good and you'll not have disappointments later. When it comes to our campers, cheaping out only costs more in the long run.
Old 06-13-2022, 06:03 AM   #10
bsmith0404

I used the camco blue filters as well, now have RV Guard filters I found on Amazon, four for $34. If I wanted to drink the water or use it for coffee or something, I think I’d still use the small in line filters to keep the gunk out of my water heater and just add a small two or three filter system under the sink with a separate water tap like an RO system uses.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:18 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

I guess these things are all subject to the owner's criteria. I grew up drinking from old plastic water hoses, drinking out of stock tanks with the cows, from the old water pipe coming from a windmill or straight from an irrigation pipe sprinkler - our house when we were little used water from an old wooden water tank that sat with water in it 365 days a year.. Even used toothpaste from a lead tube. No ill effects that I'm aware of after all these years. That said;

I can't stand water that smells and some locations have some smelly water. The Camco gets rid of that (except the hose smell if you use a cheap hose in hot weather). After we started traveling a lot I gave the sources of water a little more thought after seeing some of the water systems we came across. On overnight stays I just use the Camco. When we stay a week or more, which is typically what we do, I put the Camco right after the pressure regulater and then a dual stage filter system with replaceable, selectable filters before it enters the RV. That has worked well for us. Just to throw in, I also use a portable water softener as well at home to wash the trailer as our water has so many minerals and chemicals that it leaves terrible water spots on the trailer without it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:25 AM   #12
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I also use a portable water softener as well at home to wash the trailer as our water has so many minerals and chemicals that it leaves terrible water spots on the trailer without it.
We have a whole house water softener that I added an outside spigot just for washing the cars and RV
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:47 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I guess these things are all subject to the owner's criteria. I grew up drinking from old plastic water hoses, drinking out of stock tanks with the cows, from the old water pipe coming from a windmill or straight from an irrigation pipe sprinkler - our house when we were little used water from an old wooden water tank that sat with water in it 365 days a year.. Even used toothpaste from a lead tube. No ill effects that I'm aware of after all these years. That said;

I can't stand water that smells and some locations have some smelly water. The Camco gets rid of that (except the hose smell if you use a cheap hose in hot weather). After we started traveling a lot I gave the sources of water a little more thought after seeing some of the water systems we came across. On overnight stays I just use the Camco. When we stay a week or more, which is typically what we do, I put the Camco right after the pressure regulater and then a dual stage filter system with replaceable, selectable filters before it enters the RV. That has worked well for us. Just to throw in, I also use a portable water softener as well at home to wash the trailer as our water has so many minerals and chemicals that it leaves terrible water spots on the trailer without it.
I grew up drinking out of a cheap garden hose as well (treated city water) but some things have changed. The last dozen plus years of my working life was overseeing the construction, renovation, and expansion of a fast casual restaurant chain. Water quality was a huge factor and they used a company to install and maintain the water treatment systems and send off samples to an independent lab for testing monthly. Those test results could be quite alarming at times.

I've inspected some locations where the mold (pink anmd black) inside of an ice machine would require installing UV treatment. I guess sometimes I'm better off in ignorance knowing what water contaminants can do to you. You can't assume that the municipal water coming out of the tape is safe, just ask the folks in Flint, Michigan.
Old 06-13-2022, 08:28 AM   #14
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The blue Camco filter is a joke at best.. I suppose it’s better than nothing but a dual stage filter will do a much better job.. I would not waste my money on it..

You can get a decent dual stage filter for under $100 that won’t restrict the water flow like a Camco will

First two images are what ba Camco blue filter looks like

Last 8mage is what a dual stage filter does for you.. image is my water filter at a place in eastern Idaho with some really crappy water but the sediment filter did a superb job

I run a .5 Micron carbon filter
There we go! I'm gathering then that the 0.5 micron filter used in a dual cannister filter setup doesn't impede the water flow significantly enough to adversely affect things like the shower or filling a coffee pot.
That's the information I was after - thanks!

Old 06-13-2022, 08:57 AM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I grew up drinking out of a cheap garden hose as well (treated city water) but some things have changed. The last dozen plus years of my working life was overseeing the construction, renovation, and expansion of a fast casual restaurant chain. Water quality was a huge factor and they used a company to install and maintain the water treatment systems and send off samples to an independent lab for testing monthly. Those test results could be quite alarming at times.

I've inspected some locations where the mold (pink anmd black) inside of an ice machine would require installing UV treatment. I guess sometimes I'm better off in ignorance knowing what water contaminants can do to you. You can't assume that the municipal water coming out of the tape is safe, just ask the folks in Flint, Michigan.

Yes, I was the president of a water association for several years and we had our water operator get our water tested quarterly. We also ran a chlorination system with our well system. Always had great water but the tests are pretty enlightening. I believe just regular residents can have that done as well at a facility that performs the tests. Depending on the tests ran I think we were paying $45-$75.
Old 06-13-2022, 09:02 PM   #16
Jim2366

A camco filter , good hose rinsed out stretched to the RV in the shade if possible. Then filter just the drinking water with a Berky water filter.
Old 06-14-2022, 03:41 AM   #17
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2366 View Post
A camco filter , good hose rinsed out stretched to the RV in the shade if possible. Then filter just the drinking water with a Berky water filter.
That's essentially what I do now and it does work.
Process improvement is the name of the game! If I can achieve the same kind of filtration for ALL the water that enters the camper that the Pur filter provides at the sink, it would surely result in less water spotting on the glass shower doors, less hard water corrosion on the faucets, and a lot fewer deposits in the water heater tank.
Less time cleaning and maintaining equals more time enjoying!

Old 06-14-2022, 05:14 AM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
That's essentially what I do now and it does work.
Process improvement is the name of the game! If I can achieve the same kind of filtration for ALL the water that enters the camper that the Pur filter provides at the sink, it would surely result in less water spotting on the glass shower doors, less hard water corrosion on the faucets, and a lot fewer deposits in the water heater tank.
Less time cleaning and maintaining equals more time enjoying!
Filtration alone may not be enough if the water is particularly hard. High mineral content (especially iron and calcium) may necessitate a water softener.
Old 06-16-2022, 05:12 PM   #19
hawghauler

We use the blue filter for freshwater tank fill keep beer in fridge for drinking
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 05:19 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Filtration alone may not be enough if the water is particularly hard. High mineral content (especially iron and calcium) may necessitate a water softener.

Yes, the filters are not going to get rid of hard water spots, I've accepted them as part of "cleaning". However I did just buy a portable water softener I thought I would carry with me....wrong. I did not know how heavy that thing would be when filled and I'm not putting that kind of weight in/on my stuff traveling for the limited benefit of "no spots"...they're not that hard to get off if they don't set. At least I can use it at the house to wash the trailer...

Tags
water