Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2022, 03:42 PM   #1
stubones

Lippert garage door springs on Raptor Toy Hauler

Has anyone else had to replace broken garage door lift springs on a raptor with a lippert garage door? Mine has a broken spring, and 3 working ones. I got the PDF from Lippert recommending to remove the door, but I think the side latches would hold the door in place to swap out a new spring... Anyone else tried it either way?
stubones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 03:56 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Link to pdf? I’d like to read it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 04:58 PM   #3
stubones

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Link to pdf? I’d like to read it.
https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001925.pdf

that's their way... My Garage door has two side friction clamps holding it shut, so I think they hold it well enough to drive the hinge pin out enough to either swap out all the springs or just the broken one.
Old 06-10-2022, 05:02 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

It might be a good idea to replace them all, I hate having to repeat a repair. You may get away with a floor jack on the door, I wouldn’t want the whole weight of the door on those locks.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 11:48 PM   #5
stubones

Raptor garage door springs replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
It might be a good idea to replace them all, I hate having to repeat a repair. You may get away with a floor jack on the door, I wouldn’t want the whole weight of the door on those locks.
The real question is if you follow their PDF, you have to remove the rear door and I know I'm not strong enough to remove it by myself and I don't have a forklift or crane to help out. Plus, when you lower the door, the springs are under LOTS of tension doing their job.

When the door is closed, the spring tension is very minor.

Since my door has both the latches which hold the door well in the door opening, I think with a few shims, wedges or something, I could leave it closed, drive out the hinge pin, replace the springs and push it back in.

I notice newer installs have some type of nylon cap on the spring ends to roll along as the door goes down, letting the springs move on the hinges. Mine simply have the raw hinges.

I also need to check the rod diameter of the hinges so I get the right ones to replace the current ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220424_171024926.MP.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	40176   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220601_144109424.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	40177  

Tags