Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2022, 05:31 PM   #1
crk112

No longer a Keystone owner

Greetings all!

I must inform you that I've traded in the Hideout!

We were absolute newbies when we got the Keystone... so much so that we got screwed by the dealer who took advantage of my lack of knowledge on towing weights. "Neat, your truck can tow 7500lbs! Take a look at this trailer that grosses out at 7500lbs it's perfect for you!"
Obviously by the time I learned enough it was too late... but we made it work. Everywhere I pulled the trailer, the family and baggage had to go in a separate vehicle to stay within weights.

My wife shows horses but also acts as show secretary for a lot of shows, so she's actually the primary user of the "cabin". As stressful as it was for me to tow the TT, I never wanted to put her in that position... so I hauled it to most of her shows for her.

Aside from all that though, we learned so much from our Hideout and it's sad to close that chapter. We learned what we liked, what we didn't like, and how to camp!

So we're on to "cabin number two"... a 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS Class C. It's a real nice step-up and will meet our needs really well for the foreseeable future.
I hope it's not against the rules to post a Jayco picture on the Keystone forum

I have already joined Jayco Owners but I can't say goodbye to this forum... I've learned so much here and a big thanks to everybody here for being so welcoming and friendly and willing to assist. You've helped me out of a few jams

So I hope it's okay if I stick around for awhile. Perhaps I might even impart some of my limited wisdom for others.

Thanks again everyone!

crk112
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2892.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	40149   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2890.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	40150   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2891.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	40151  
"The Cabin v2" 2016 Jayco Greyhawk 31DS
Fastway e2 round bar WDH
crk112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:35 PM   #2
wrvond

Congratulations, that looks awesome!

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 05:45 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Congrats on that new Class C. I figure you're going to have a ton of fun with and in it. No need to leave, lots of interchangeable piece parts and engines, trannies, tires etc. are pretty much all the same.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:05 PM   #4
gearhead

I frequently think I would like to go back to a Class C. We bought a one new in 1987?. Towed an old 1971 Jeep CJ5 behind it. A great combo. Used a $39 JC Whitney tow bar.
My first choice would be the Jayco.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 08:56 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Congrats, Jayco makes a nice class C. Don’t forget about the overhang out front. Seems just about every class c I saw with damage was on the front area above the cab. Real easy to forget that it’s hanging out there when you get around trees and house eves. Enjoy.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:33 AM   #6
rhagfo

Congratulations on the nice Class C.
Just a question you state your wife shows and also acts as show secretary, why not a horse trailer with living quarters?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 04:49 AM   #7
dutchmensport

I've never signed up on the Jayco forum, but I read it too, along with several other RV Life forums. Nothing wrong with staying connected and informed. Every one of these forums has something a little different to offer and a little different flavor. Put them all together and the RV Life family of forums is a great place to share and to pick up new knowledge. It's interesting how many camping tips and advise I've received from forums that were not specific to the actual camper I owned at the time. For example, I no longer have an Outback, but I still go back and read the Outbackers.com forum. It's been 4 years since we traded the Outback for our current Montana, and I still go back and read up on things there. I figure, the more information and knowledge I can gain will help me when something in the camping experience doesn't go the way it was planned.

Enjoy that new camper! And happy camping!
Old 06-09-2022, 04:50 AM   #8
jxnbbl

Nice upgrade. Happy Trails!
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:01 AM   #9
wegone

Live and learn, I'm in the same boat as you, green, and we bought our first trailer when we went looking for a new propane stove to heat the house as we were getting tired of the wood burner.....

My wife said "Oh look at all those trailers, can we just look?"

We LOVE our trailer, I had enough truck, but we love state campgrounds and most were built around the old configurations of smaller trailers.
We have slides on both sides and a awning and at 30 feet, it limits us to spots.

The last spot we just barely fit, and could not extend our awning and it rained a lot, so....
I bought a 10 x 10 canopy to put up to cover our outside activities on rainy days

If I had to do it all over again, I'd go smaller, they pack a lot into 22 feet nowadays

Not sure if any choice is perfect, just have to see what checks off the most boxes and live with that

Oh, BTW......

Yes, good and useful information is shared on this site that crosses all models and makes and preferred gender pronouns

I use to fill up with the highest octane to pull thinking it was better, someone shared I had no need to do that as my truck was designed/engineered to run on the lessor octane fuel...
I listened to that advice, and they were right...... now my wife has more of my money to spend on souvenirs
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 07:43 AM   #10
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post

Not sure if any choice is perfect, just have to see what checks off the most boxes and live with that :
When I sold RVs, people were always trying to find that “perfect” rv that checked all the boxes. No offense to anyone, but grandma was always the worst for that. Trying to satisfy that one time of year the grandkids might come with without making sacrifices. There’s no such thing as a perfect RV that checks all boxes. My advice was always buy for how it’s going to be used 90% of the time. Think about your lifestyle and things you do daily. Do not sacrifice on things you do every day in favor of something you do every now and then. It’s the daily activities that will make you love or hate an rv. The things you do every now and then, you can live with work arounds or inconveniences. That advice always helped them decide what we’re needs, wants, and nice to haves.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keystone