Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner > In Command Systems
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2022, 09:53 AM   #1
smithfrh

Incommand system

I received a recall from Keystone in regards to some of the problems with the ac systems and the incommand not communicating properly. I am attaching the letter that I received in hopes that this will help people that are having any issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220601_123217.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	39985   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220601_123244.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	266.3 KB
ID:	39986  
smithfrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:34 AM   #2
4Buck

This the first time I heard Keystone saying there is a problem. When I called them they said not their problem to call In-Command. Is this only for the Couger model? I have a Alpine and have the problem of the rear AC not kicking in most of the time when on auto. Not sure I could find the Gateway on mine.
4Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:44 AM   #3
RollaMo

I received that same packet from Keystone today.

Letter explaining the "possible" issues and detailed instructions on how to check and correct the problem if you are experiencing it.
The packet also includes the EOL Resistor that might be needed.

So far we have not had any issues with our system.
But it looks simple enough to check to make sure the EOL Resistor is installed correctly.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:54 AM   #4
AZtrailer

Thumbs up Needed Update

I received the same notice yesterday as well. Keystone is calling it a "Customer Satisfaction Campaign" instead of a recall. They included a End Of Line (EOL) resistor with the notice. I measured the value of the resistor and it is around 120 ohms. It appears Keystone didn't terminate the leg of the CAN bus that communicates with the AC units. This will cause random problems with communication between the Display Commander and the other devices it controls. We have been experiencing lock ups and weird operation with ours that most of the time re-powering the rig clears up. I just installed the resistor this morning and hope it will clear up the strange hang ups we have been having. I applaud Keystone for sending the part out with the notice so I didn't have to take the trailer to the dealer.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:24 AM   #5
4Buck

So far no one with a Alpine has received one ?
4Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:56 AM   #6
smithfrh

I installed the resistor in mine this past Sunday. It wasn't hard to do. My gateway that needed the resistor was located in the bedroom ac.
Old 06-01-2022, 06:26 PM   #7
lonerider98

I have received the letter with the resistor also. I have the a/c in the kitchen area and one in the master bedroom. I'm kind of confused as to which one is the eol. Is it the one in the Kitchen or the bedroom to install the eol resistor. I have the Cougar 364bhl. Anyone have this unit and can help me decide which one to install it on. T.I.A.
lonerider98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:36 AM   #8
jwfrede

I downloaded your picture but cannot read it. The resolution was too low.

Does anybody know if this effected 2020 models? I don't believe I have received anything in the mail.

Occasionally my AC won't come back on when the temp exceeds the setpoint. I usually need to turn the A/C off and then back on to get it to work properly. Sometimes this happens several times in a day, sometimes it goes a week or more(at least 5 days of a/C use) without issue.

Also, this started after I had the Softstart installed. I think I put up a separate post on that but got no replies.
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 04:40 AM   #9
smithfrh

I have a 21 cougar 368mbi, I would suspect it would apply to any units that have the in command system. I apologize for the resolution I left the letter in my rv and I am currently back home.
Old 06-02-2022, 04:42 AM   #10
smithfrh

Look for the eol point that is open, if you have two ac units as I do mine was in the master bedroom.
Old 06-02-2022, 04:43 AM   #11
smithfrh

The open eol on mine was in the bedroom ac
Old 06-02-2022, 06:51 AM   #12
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfrede View Post
I downloaded your picture but cannot read it. The resolution was too low.

Does anybody know if this effected 2020 models? I don't believe I have received anything in the mail.

See if these pictures are any better.
I haven't been able to find anything on the web with a PDF, so just took these with my phone. Click on each pic, and it will display larger.

The letter states that it affects "some" 2021-2022 models of Cougar travel trailers and fifth wheels.

Name:	InCommand Campaign Page 1.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	39993

Name:	EOL Page 2.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	399.6 KB
ID:	39992
Old 06-02-2022, 08:08 AM   #13
wrvond

I haven't heard a peep, so am guessing it's for those units with two air conditioners from the factory.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 08:52 AM   #14
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I haven't heard a peep, so am guessing it's for those units with two air conditioners from the factory.
Only one A/C on our 2022 24RDS, and I got the notice in the mail yesterday.

I haven't had time to check ours out yet, but I assume it is set up correctly since we haven't had any issues yet with ours.

If you look at the EOL Page 2 picture I posted, it lists 3 different possible scenarios:

1. System with one Roof A/C
2. System with two Roof A/C's
3. System with one Roof A/c and Pre-Wired for 2nd A/C
Old 06-02-2022, 09:51 AM   #15
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Only one A/C on our 2022 24RDS, and I got the notice in the mail yesterday.

I haven't had time to check ours out yet, but I assume it is set up correctly since we haven't had any issues yet with ours.

If you look at the EOL Page 2 picture I posted, it lists 3 different possible scenarios:

1. System with one Roof A/C
2. System with two Roof A/C's
3. System with one Roof A/c and Pre-Wired for 2nd A/C
Thanks for pointing that out. I'll have to go out to look at mine to see if it has the EOL plug in place.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 04:39 PM   #16
Jake's Keystone

RollaMo, Can you please post the build date of your RV? Mine was April 26, 2022 for a Cougar 316RLS and I'm having incommand issues. Thanks. Just trying to see if there is a date that they started adding the EOL. Thanks.
P.S.: our RV is in the shop so I can't check my front AC for it.

2022 GMC Sierra HD AT4
2022 Cougar 3169RLS
New and Traded
Jake's Keystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 04:59 PM   #17
RollaMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake's Keystone View Post
RollaMo, Can you please post the build date of your RV? Mine was April 26, 2022 for a Cougar 316RLS and I'm having incommand issues. Thanks. Just trying to see if there is a date that they started adding the EOL. Thanks.
P.S.: our RV is in the shop so I can't check my front AC for it.

Sticker on mine lists 10-11-2021
Old 06-04-2022, 02:19 AM   #18
Ground Whip

Thank you

Because of this thread, I became aware of the CAN-BUS issue causing my intermittent collapse of the IN-Command system that was associated with the use of the iOS app when rolling out the awnings or changing temp settings for the a/c. I found that rebooting the system would get things right again. My camper is a 2022 Cougar 368MBI that I have used 90% of the time since March. I contacted Keystone customer care yesterday after finding I did not have the end-of-line (EOL) resistor in the bedroom a/c. After explaining my issue, the agent sent me to ASA Electronics, the manufacturer of the IN-Command system. It took the agent one minute to determine that I had all the symptoms of the missing resistor and the pics I took before the call confirmed. She informed me that it took ASA Electronics some time to determine it was an assembly issue at Keystone that caused the problem and that Keystone should provide the part at no charge to fix. So, I called back Keystone and after several more minutes on the phone with them, the agent stated I should have received the letter and part in the mail already. To say the least, I was a bit perturbed at this point when she insinuated this was my problem as they had done all they could. She finally agreed the company will send the $0.02 part. THANKS KEYSTONE

My advice is if you have a 21-22 Keystone product with the IN-Command system, take a minute to check for the EOL resistor based on the previously uploaded letter. If it is missing, it won't take you 2 minutes to insert once you have the part.

Thanks to the OP for bringing this to our attention!
Ground Whip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 03:57 AM   #19
smithfrh

My 368mbi was built in November of 2020. Hope this helps
Old 06-04-2022, 04:51 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Ground Whip the total absence of logic still amazes me. If the person you spoke with at Keystone is paid $15/hr then it's costing the company .25 cents/ min. in wages and likely more than that for benefits, WC insurance, office, etc. So I'm guessing the time spent arguing about it was far exceeded the cost of the result, not even factoring the cost of your time and ASA's time. So the net result was they (Keystone) wasted money and reaources, agitated a customer and irritated a vendor over a very minimal issue.

I guess the buisness model has worked over these past economic boom years. I think it'll be interesting to watch going forward when folks have to reduce their discretionary spending just to continue their daily life. It's not just oil prices. I heard coal prices are up over 40%. The vast majority of electricity is generated by fossil fuels. Can't wait for those utility rate increases to start. I really feel for the young families just starting out and wanting to give their children a camping life. My stuff paid for so it's a minimal cost to let it set. This year we booked fewer trips with longer stays vs our typical numerous short stay trips. Not all working folks (weekend warriors) have that option.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
incommand