Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2022, 09:04 AM   #1
wegone

Flex fuel and towing.....

Has anybody used the E85 and towed?

My F-250 is a gassed 6.2 and flex fuel abled, but I am leery of it.

I will be towing a lot this summer, leaving this week, and will be gone most of June, but then all my remaining trips are less than a tank away.

Any thoughts guys?

Thank you.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 09:29 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

My first thought would be - why?? Flex fuel will provide about a third less energy, the last thing you need when towing with a gas engine. Next, in a test by Edmunds the mileage of a Tahoe was reduced by 26.5% using E85. Even when the lower cost of E85 was factored in the cost of driving with E85 was 23% more than gas....and that was non towing. Those numbers would be really dismal with an RV on the back of the vehicle not to mention the towing performance. I would never consider it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:28 AM   #3
wegone

Yeah, it's why I'm asking.....

I read conflicting reports, and it seems to me the positive opinions run more along the political spectrum bent.....????

Odd thing is my truck get 10-11.5 MPG regardless of towing, around town or highway, if I am to believe the dashboard readout

If I am doing hills, I even buy 92 octane, it seems like I use less pedal, not really sure.

I don't anticipate any fuel issues while traveling, seems like the supply is way greater than the demand, from what I have witnessed so far, but I was thinking ahead of all my options just in case I need to buy some to get me to the next pump.

Thanks for your input
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:40 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Yes, the "glowing" reports of E85 are from folks pushing that agenda and they don't tell the real truth. But, facts are facts; it produces much less energy...no one refutes that. That alone tells the tale and it isn't going to be fun when towing an RV. On the up side you can buy it and use it if you have to but I've not seen anywhere that had a shortage of gasoline; folks with a shortage in their pocketbooks - yes; shortage at the pump - no. I will qualify that by saying I have not, and do not, go to some of the more restrictive states so that could have a hand in your situation as well.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 10:54 AM   #5
NH_Bulldog

We had a Tahoe with a 5.3L Flex Fuel motor. It takes at least 1-2 tanks for the computer to learn the new fuel mixture. E85 has a higher standard octane than regular gas, but it takes more of it to get the same energy out of it. In my experience, E85 was not good for towing, especially over a long trip where E85 availability might be hit or miss.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 11:51 AM   #6
travelin texans

IMHO I wouldn't use it towing, or otherwise, unless it was absolutely positively the last fuel available.
The only one that benefits from any ethanol blended fuels is the farmer growing the corn used to make the stuff as well as the guy pushing some green agenda.
IMO grain alcohol is for drinking not as motor fuels!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 02:18 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

I think a lot of folks have a misconception of what octane does in gasoline. It is there when there is a higher compression engine that will pre-detonate if the octane isn't up. If your vehicle is designed to run on regular gas (87 octane) it actually performs better as it performs the way it was engineered. As far as flex-fuel capable vehicles, I only had one; a 2013 F150 and the DEALER warmed me not to use flex fuel as it would reduce performance and fuel mileage. I never used it so have no real world experience.

Many vintage motorcycle owners with fairly low compression engines will use 93 octane gas and wonder why their plugs soot up thinking it is like buying higher quality fuel. Sometimes they add a better additive package but that would be it.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 06:35 PM   #8
Balvar24

PMost gas engine lose fuel mileage going to E85. I would imagine Towing with it is going to pour gas thru that engine.

Corn is for eating.
Balvar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 04:39 AM   #9
hawghauler

My knowledge of E85 is more in the performance area most will question how I make power on E85

It's 85% alky I build 96" vtwins using a stand alone control system a 4831b and some top secret BS that I'll never tell a soul these things make in the area of 350 ponies

Now then I tow all my stuff to the track with #2
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, tow, towing