Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2022, 07:34 AM   #1
Jens Weber

New trailer without ladder

I just purchased a Passport 189RB with the big solar package, inverter and all that stuff. However, this 2022 model has come from the factory without a ladder. I have seen videos online of the same trailer with a ladder mounted. Is it made with mounting points, so I can have a ladder mounted. Otherwise, how do I get on the roof to clean solar panels and inspect seams etc. This small trailer has no space for another ladder anywhere.
Thanks for any advice
2022 Passport 189 RB
2014 Ford F150 XLT
Jens Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:11 AM   #2
bsmith0404

You have to double check on the roof material. In the past, Passports did not have a walkable roof. At one point they started building them with one because of material shortages. I think now they build some models with and some without. I’ve been out of the industry for a little over a year now so can’t say for sure. I know some brands like Sprinter had some models that didn’t come with a ladder (campfire edition), but had mounting areas for one, but those all had walkable roofs

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 11:50 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens Weber View Post
I just purchased a Passport 189RB with the big solar package, inverter and all that stuff. However, this 2022 model has come from the factory without a ladder. I have seen videos online of the same trailer with a ladder mounted. Is it made with mounting points, so I can have a ladder mounted. Otherwise, how do I get on the roof to clean solar panels and inspect seams etc. This small trailer has no space for another ladder anywhere.
Thanks for any advice
You make it sound like you are full timing in this camper. Is that correct? if not, get a telescoping 12.5' ladder and leave it home. I have never been to a campground where I had the urge to do maintenance on my roof. I do carry my ladder in my 5th wheel front compartment because I don't otherwise use that space except to drag around a couple of camp chairs we also never use.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:59 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

No more ladders and the Passport roofs are 1/4” 3-ply plywood which provides the barest minimum structural support and is NOT walkable, crawlable or any other “able”. Pick up a quality telescoping ladder for the once or twice a year you need to clean/maintain the roof
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 07:59 PM   #5
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
No more ladders and the Passport roofs are 1/4” 3-ply plywood which provides the barest minimum structural support and is NOT walkable, crawlable or any other “able”. Pick up a quality telescoping ladder for the once or twice a year you need to clean/maintain the roof
FYI, on some 2019s, they used 3/8 decking because of supply shortages. Doesn’t affect the OP, but yours may be affected.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 05-26-2022, 08:00 AM   #6
Camp CA

Have one installed OR buy a telescopic ladder to access the roof since you MAY need it anyway to access the roof and underside of the awning for maintenance. I have a 12.5 ft one for that purpose.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:46 AM   #7
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Have one installed OR buy a telescopic ladder to access the roof since you MAY need it anyway to access the roof and underside of the awning for maintenance. I have a 12.5 ft one for that purpose.
Do not have one installed if it doesn’t have a walkable roof. Keystone does not reenforce the walls for a ladder if the roof is not walkable. There are steel plates in the walls behind the ladder mounts for ones that do.
Old 05-26-2022, 08:50 AM   #8
travelin texans

The mounted rv ladders in my opinion are a big waste of aluminum! They are flimsy at best & straight up so are a difficult climb. If you weigh much more than about a buck fifty they will feel.very unstable climbing up. Get the telescopic ladder & spend the remainder of the $$ on something more useful.
FYI, if you're wanting the ladder to strap chairs or bikes to that's a sure way to void the warranty on your new rv & most likely leave all of it in the middle of the highway somewhere.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 09:05 AM   #9
Camp CA

Keystone advertises the Passport 189RB with a "fully walkable roof" https://www.keystonerv.com/product/p...oorplans/189RB. Some have ladders installed on the right side like the one in this link https://www.rvconnections.com/rv/202...SL-189RB-18228
Old 05-26-2022, 09:09 AM   #10
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Keystone advertises the Passport 189RB with a "fully walkable roof" https://www.keystonerv.com/product/p...oorplans/189RB
I knew they had planned to do that at some point, didn’t check the specs to verify if they had done it. I would still make sure they brace the back wall for ladders and verify where the plates are before I installed one.
Old 05-26-2022, 11:56 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

First, I would not put a ladder on an RV that didn't have one whether it had a walkable roof or not. What you tried to mount it to inside the wall would be unknown and very questionable.

Next, the ones that come on the RV are questionable themselves. The ladder on the first trailer we had with one got bent by dealership techs doing roof cleaning. I tried using it and found out why - they are just flimsy. The mounting screws won't stay tight and if they aren't could easily lead to a fall or tearing out the back wall.

If you are worried about maintenance you plan to do at home get an extendable ladder that can be placed on the sides for seam mtce. or roof access. I primarily use a 12' A frame ladder that I move around the trailer. If you want a ladder to take with you for mtce. get one that telescopes. I have a Lionladder 12.5'. That one can go in the bed of your truck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:19 AM   #12
WDPatterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
First, I would not put a ladder on an RV that didn't have one whether it had a walkable roof or not. What you tried to mount it to inside the wall would be unknown and very questionable.

Next, the ones that come on the RV are questionable themselves. The ladder on the first trailer we had with one got bent by dealership techs doing roof cleaning. I tried using it and found out why - they are just flimsy. The mounting screws won't stay tight and if they aren't could easily lead to a fall or tearing out the back wall.

If you are worried about maintenance you plan to do at home get an extendable ladder that can be placed on the sides for seam mtce. or roof access. I primarily use a 12' A frame ladder that I move around the trailer. If you want a ladder to take with you for mtce. get one that telescopes. I have a Lionladder 12.5'. That one can go in the bed of your truck.
I'm with you on this one. I have used the built on ladder that came with the fifth wheel, and it feels very flimsy. I weigh about 250, and I don't like Taking Chances. Our fifth wheel is semi-permanent, while we are building our house. I just take my fiberglass 12 ft A-frame ladder, leaning against the front middle of the trailer, and climb up it. Much more stable, much more friendly, easier to get back down.
WDPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 07:57 AM   #13
dutchmensport

Mine must be the exception. I have a Montana and I use the ladder all the time. It doesn't feel flimsy at all.

About "why" to walk on the roof? This is my second camper with slides. The first camper (Springdale) did not have a ladder but did have 3 slides. I used a 7 foot step ladder so I could reach the tops of the slides to sweep them off EVERY time they were retracted. Mine did not have slide toppers. It was a pain staking process, but parking in forested and wooded areas, a lot of garbage falls on the roof of the trailer AND the slides. The last thing you want is sticks, twigs, nuts, berries, leaves, and bark caught on the top of your slide when you retract it, poking holes and tearing the rubber seals when it closes.

So, I was always very meticulous sweeping off each slide completely clean before retracting EVERY time. I never failed, at home or camping, an overnight, or a Wall Mart. And yes, with the ladder, it was always a chore.

Fast forward:

Now have the Montana (4 slides), much taller too, no slide toppers, but the attached ladder. Other than being straight up, the ladder is not an issue. And it makes getting on the roof a lot nicer and easier to sweep off those slides. I can stand on the main roof of the camper and with a 16 foot telescoping painters wand with an RV brush on the end, I can easily reach the slide roofs to sweep them off, from above! And for those who don't don't do this, you should. Your slide seals will catch a lot of debris from trees, stuff blowing in the wind, and even bird poop. When you retract your slides, do you really want that bird poop inside your camper?

That's why I get on my roof every time the slides are retracted. And while I'm up there, I always walk slowly to examine all the caulking, everywhere. It takes only a moment and it's constant valiance but provides peace of mind.

Old 06-03-2022, 08:01 PM   #14
Derboreno

New trailer without ladder

I ordered a 189RB in December, just picked it up 3 days ago. At the time of the order, ladders were not available and I was not expecting one. Turns out the sales manager called the factory in late February and had it added to the build as they had became available again. Great guy, nice surprise. Now, if it only had a rear bumper… WTH?

@dutchmensport great tip on clearing debris from the slide out. I am not sure I wanted one but the 189 is a great floor plan in every other way.
Derboreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 11:52 AM   #15
MarkEHansen

While our trailer was in storage during a rain storm, we found a lot of water inside - leaking down the slide inside the camper.

After looking around for a while, we found the culprit was a single pine needle wedged under the wiper seal on the top of the slide. It created enough of a gap to let the water through.

Since then, we've always cleaned (completely) the slide roof before retracting it.
Old 06-17-2022, 03:53 PM   #16
bgrhrdt

The only good use for an installed ladder is to tie off an extension ladder.
Old 06-17-2022, 04:42 PM   #17
bsmith0404

I use my ladder on my Alpine all the time. It’s 10 years old and still as solid as the day it was new. I’m not a small guy, 235 lbs, but it’s never failed me. If I remember correctly they’re rated for 300 lbs. I also go up and clean the slides every time before I bring them in. Just use a regular broom, unless it’s been raining, then I take a towel with me and wipe them down as well.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
Old 06-21-2022, 07:14 AM   #18
BPOP

I have found that a 4 by 8 sheet of 2 inch foam from a box store, cut into 4, 2 foot wide sections then used on the roof to walk or crawl on does well in distributing weight over a larger area and makes it possible to work on the roof without the worry of damaging the roof.
BPOP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ladder