Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2022, 01:42 PM   #1
linux3

Lift inside steps.

I didn't want to go off on a tangent so I'm posting here.
In "Lite weight" someone posted about flip up steps.
I don't like them, I don't have them so this is just MHO.
If it's raining or dirty or when ever I think flipping up the steps into the TT will get dirt all over.
I guess they could be hosed down or scrubbed but just tucking them under I think is a better plan.

Maybe I'm wrong but they just seem like a bad idea.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:35 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

The flip up steps or sort of good/bad IMO. I had never had them until this trailer. Thought they would be nice because they would be so much more stable than the pull down type we always had that never hit the ground.

Flip up steps ARE stable. You have to adjust the legs for various terrains but you have to do that with anything that's going to touch the ground to stabilize. Cleaning isn't an issue...yet. We stay in commercial RV campgrounds so usually have a decent kind of "spot" to get in and out of the trailer. Boondocking in mud, which I don't do anymore, would be a completely different story. In our scenario I carry a brushes (2) to clean the steps; one with that's medium stiff for brushing off the steps (they all have the little carpet covers) and the softer one for dust that accumulates on them. We keep a lightweight rug at the front of the entry to not only catch anything tracked in but also catch whatever debris might come loose when we bring in the steps. No issue for us, BUT....

The steps are fixed, you can't make them any shorter than the shortest length when they are deployed. That has not been a problem anywhere we've been but it is a major snafu at our storage barn; I can't open the steps to get inside without pulling the trailer out and THAT is a PITA that I don't want to deal with. When things slow down for us I am going to seriously look into the Glow Steps or some other extendable step that stabilizes on the ground so I can get in the RV in the barn.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 02:53 PM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
The flip up steps or sort of good/bad IMO. I had never had them until this trailer. Thought they would be nice because they would be so much more stable than the pull down type we always had that never hit the ground.

Flip up steps ARE stable. You have to adjust the legs for various terrains but you have to do that with anything that's going to touch the ground to stabilize. Cleaning isn't an issue...yet. We stay in commercial RV campgrounds so usually have a decent kind of "spot" to get in and out of the trailer. Boondocking in mud, which I don't do anymore, would be a completely different story. In our scenario I carry a brushes (2) to clean the steps; one with that's medium stiff for brushing off the steps (they all have the little carpet covers) and the softer one for dust that accumulates on them. We keep a lightweight rug at the front of the entry to not only catch anything tracked in but also catch whatever debris might come loose when we bring in the steps. No issue for us, BUT....

The steps are fixed, you can't make them any shorter than the shortest length when they are deployed. That has not been a problem anywhere we've been but it is a major snafu at our storage barn; I can't open the steps to get inside without pulling the trailer out and THAT is a PITA that I don't want to deal with. When things slow down for us I am going to seriously look into the Glow Steps or some other extendable step that stabilizes on the ground so I can get in the RV in the barn.
It looks like you can buy a hinge upgrade to convert them to the new quick disconnect style …for use in storage and tight places. I will probably order one
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63C4356E-C81B-441C-B08C-B16B8F8D9A9A.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	39373  
Old 04-21-2022, 03:26 PM   #4
RollaMo

Our 2022 24RDS fifth wheel came from the factory with that new quick disconnect feature.

We had that old style fold out style on our old travel trailer.
Very "spongy" feeling going in and out, and wife hated that.

The new solid steps are so much nicer (at least for us).
Of course, as with anything else what one person likes, the next will hate.

A quick brush off with a whisk broom and there is no mess when folded up.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:01 PM   #5
NH_Bulldog

When it’s raining, my steps don’t get wet because I have……..an awning.

I installed the MorRyde steps and think they are awesome (having an extra locking storage compartment under the door is a nice bonus). But that just my opinion.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 04:46 PM   #6
madweazl

This is our third trailer and each has had slightly different steps. Our Weekend Warrior had the typical flip downs and while they were spongy, we didn't know any better so it was fine. Our Alfa had some nice electric steps that came down and were considerably more sturdy. Our current trailer has the LCI solid steps and other than having the pins vs the button to adjust/lock them in place, I really like them. First off, there are 4 steps instead of the typical 3 we've had in the past but they're just rock solid. I did have some pebbles fall into the trailer when I stowed them this weekend but that doesn't bug me in the slightest; we've always had to do a little house cleaning when we've arrived anyways so it hasn't added anything to our trip. I'll gladly take the stability!
Old 04-22-2022, 04:39 PM   #7
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
Our 2022 24RDS fifth wheel came from the factory with that new quick disconnect feature.

We had that old style fold out style on our old travel trailer.
Very "spongy" feeling going in and out, and wife hated that.

The new solid steps are so much nicer (at least for us).
Of course, as with anything else what one person likes, the next will hate.

A quick brush off with a whisk broom and there is no mess when folded up.
You lucky dog! I ended up with the old style steps due to - you guessed it - supply issues.
Since I keep the camper at home I remind myself it's just an option I wouldn't use anyway. Still, it owns space in my head...

Note: I also didn't get the "camera ready" side marker lights.

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 07:00 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
It looks like you can buy a hinge upgrade to convert them to the new quick disconnect style …for use in storage and tight places. I will probably order one

Thanks Jasin. I might be able to use that option. I have the gas strut on one side and the one pictured doesn't look like mine so would need to investigate.
Old 04-23-2022, 04:05 AM   #9
NH_Bulldog

We had the gas strut at the bottom and simply removed it. I added special magnets to the door to keep it secured to the side of the camper when fully opened
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2022, 07:11 AM   #10
vampress_me

Our old Cougar had the typical pull out accordion steps. They were “spongy” as someone said, but worked well everywhere we camp. New camper came with the Solid Steps. When the camper was about a week old they were removed and I installed the Torklift Glowstep revolution steps instead. The dislike for the solid steps was strong here by me. They dumped dirt into the camper because you cannot broom them off easily since the ends of the steps are solid stringers. They also could not be used at our seasonal site because we have a deck about 12” above grade and the steps could not be adjusted high enough for that. So, it would have entailed me removing the steps whenever we got down to the campground, reinstalling them every time we go on a camping trip elsewhere (which is a few times a summer), and then removing them again. Not my definition of fun since they are HEAVY. So, the glowsteps are perfect for our use. Hubby was slightly worried about stability with them because of his difficulty with balance and steps and he loves them. (Whew!) Plus, they do have open ends so are very easy to broom off before folding them up into the doorway. Only problem, is now I have a set of solid steps in my shed taking up room that I have to figure out how to get rid of….

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 02:47 AM   #11
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Our old Cougar had the typical pull out accordion steps. They were “spongy” as someone said, but worked well everywhere we camp. New camper came with the Solid Steps. When the camper was about a week old they were removed and I installed the Torklift Glowstep revolution steps instead. The dislike for the solid steps was strong here by me. They dumped dirt into the camper because you cannot broom them off easily since the ends of the steps are solid stringers. They also could not be used at our seasonal site because we have a deck about 12” above grade and the steps could not be adjusted high enough for that. So, it would have entailed me removing the steps whenever we got down to the campground, reinstalling them every time we go on a camping trip elsewhere (which is a few times a summer), and then removing them again. Not my definition of fun since they are HEAVY. So, the glowsteps are perfect for our use. Hubby was slightly worried about stability with them because of his difficulty with balance and steps and he loves them. (Whew!) Plus, they do have open ends so are very easy to broom off before folding them up into the doorway. Only problem, is now I have a set of solid steps in my shed taking up room that I have to figure out how to get rid of….
Just watched a couple videos on the Smartstep Glowstep Revolution Uprising - very impressive!

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 05:27 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Just watched a couple videos on the Smartstep Glowstep Revolution Uprising - very impressive!

Been looking at the Glowstep Uprising and they look like they are the perfect answer to the problems posed by our fixed folding steps. They will be one of the first "fixes" made to the trailer upon our return home next week. DW and I are both excited to be able to again be able to get in the RV in the storage barn without pulling it out.
Old 04-28-2022, 05:54 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Our unit has the "old style" under door pull out steps on both doors. I put a step stabilizer leg under the bottom of the first step. Swing it down and adjust it to cantact the ground. It's very secure at least for us. Also have a step platform for each one if it's a high first step due to terrain. They can be set on the ground with their legs extended or deployed for a height of 4" or 8" IIRC.

These were all that was available when we bought this unit and I wouldn't install the flip up - store inside for several mentioned reasons. I don't like the idea of storing a wet/muddy step inside. I to have an waning but I have to retract it from inside (no remote control) so yes, storing them wet would be a reality. Second we store at a storage lot and I use the camper bathroom at rest stops. No issue with deployment space.

Lastly, with regard to the deployed space necessary I will often times load the camper in several visits while it's in storage. Often I'll stop by, open the door, then slide in several boxes or bags into the camper on the floor or even throw something on the bed without stepping inside. I can also set some items on the counter top as well (advantage of being tall with long arms). The advantage is that I can stand against the side of the trailer and put quite a lot in before actually stepping inside. I find that much easier than making multiple trips up and down the steps to carry a much smaller load. Once things are "staged" I climb the steps and store things where I want.

Like most things, it's a personal prefrence and what works for me may not work for you.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 01:18 PM   #14
CaptnJohn

I hate the pull down steps! My 2022 Montana will be paid off in July and I’ll be looking for alternatives!

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 12:39 AM   #15
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
When things slow down for us I am going to seriously look into the Glow Steps or some other extendable step that stabilizes on the ground so I can get in the RV in the barn.
I just installed the GlowStep Revolution steps on our camper and love them! It's really nice to be able to adjust how far they come out in those tight spot situations...

[IMG][/IMG]
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote