Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2022, 07:52 AM   #1
Hammer1812

Acadia Sewall Campground height restrictions

Hi,
We are looking to stay at the Seawall Campground in Acadia National Park in early June. At Reservation.gov they say that there is a 11' height restriction. Yet, I see 5th wheels, etc. in pictures that are clearly taller than 11'. Could someone please shed some light on this? Perhaps you can only get to the campground from a certain direction?
Thanks for your help!
Hammer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 08:00 AM   #2
NH_Bulldog

If I recall, there are numerous low overpasses that limit height of vehicles. We are 10’6” so it didn’t “impact” us so to speak so I never paid much attention to it. I would just give them a call and ask.
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 09:01 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I would suspect that like most other campgrounds, the height restriction doesn't apply to every site, but is included as a "caution to everyone". Probably there are low underpasses that access some rows of campsites or some roads that have low overhanging limbs on large trees.

The photos you see are probably from "other parts of the campground that aren't impacted by the problem areas.

As suggested, give them a call to verify. They'll likely caution you not to reserve a site in specific areas or tell you where you can reserve a site that you can fit into....

Height restrictions, like length or weight restrictions are "generally posted for the entire campground" even though they likely apply only to a few sites or loops at the location.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 09:27 AM   #4
NH_Bulldog

I found the following on another forum from 9 years ago:

“You have no problems, as long as just after crossing onto the island from Trenton you take the left onto 102/198. Stay on 102 to Southwest harbor then 102A to Seawall.
This is the most direct route and doesn't take you on route 3 into the park where there is a height restriction - this would be out of your way to get to Seawall”.

I still suggest a phone call just in case.
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 10:34 AM   #5
Hammer1812

Reply from NPS regarding RV height

Thanks for your replies! I emailed Acadia NP asking for clarification about campground height restrictions. Here is the reply that I received:

My RV is taller than 12 feet tall, can I still fit into the RV sites?

a. Blackwoods and Seawall- All trees in the campgrounds are trimmed to 11.6’ to accommodate the garbage truck. We advertise our site height as 11’ to allow for tree growth over the season. The campground staff make people aware of the height restrictions, however, the campground does not turn people away. Depending on the visitor's equipment and campsite the visitors may or may not have an issue with the height of their equipment. Visitors can make their own decision, any damage done to the vehicle or park property is the visitors responsibility. People that have 5th wheels are the most likely to have a problem with the height restrictions.

b. Schoodic Woods does not have a height restriction.

I hope that this might help others.
Hammer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground