Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2022, 07:06 AM   #1
wegone

Prices coming down....???

Instead of watching TV, I like to look at boats, trucks, and trailers online....
Not that I'm going to go get one anymore....well, you know how that goes

I do believe I see trucks starting to tapper off, price wise.
I have seen some decent deals compared to what it has been, like 2015 used 3/4 ton in the low 20K, high teens....and NOT 300K on them, some right around 100K.

Maybe a blip because of fuel?

I hope not, would love to see "life" return to normal, again before my last pull through it
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:09 AM   #2
falcondan95705

I just seen a NEW RAM 3500 Mega cab for 103500!!!!! Most new rams in the LONGHORN EDITION Cummins, 3500 Dually, auto level, Aisin are in the mid 90s ..... This is crazy..However, If one is looking for this truck, they don't exist..
falcondan95705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 08:53 AM   #3
German Shepherd Guy

For 2 1/2 months now I have had a new vehicle on order. And at least here in western Colorado there appears to be little let up in filling inventory to pre covid levels. I just read where Ford is going to start selling Explorers without everything working. Due to continuing chip shortage. They claim once the chips come in they will be dealer installed and then the vehicle will work right. Really.

I will see if the dealer honors his price when my vehicle finally gets here from Indiana, where it is being made. Will go over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure all electronics are working as advertised before accepting delivery. I hope prices will be coming down and that your observations are right.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:05 AM   #4
Falcon67

We ordered our F-350 Lariat in November before the Ford price increase of 12/8/21. The dealer honored the order price - Ford should reimburse them since Ford has said it would honor retail orders pricing pre-increase. Saved us around $1500 IIRC. No, I don't see prices going down here - inventory is scarce and orders are taking longer to fill. Or being stuck on hold for things like 5th wheel prep and such. We sold our 2020 F-350 to the dealer for nearly what I paid for it in Feb 2020. 20K miles and a cracked windshield. And it didn't sit on the dealer's lot for long, they apparently flipped it real quick.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:09 AM   #5
jasin1

The manufacturers are probably using this time to retool for hybrid and E vehicles. They have been shown the writing on the wall by the current administration unfortunately
Old 03-23-2022, 09:24 AM   #6
Falcon67

Ford is splitting off it's EV line as a separate subdivision while the gas line remains under "Ford Blue" IIRC.

It's tip-toeing up to the "political" line, but having EVs in the fleet may drive some interesting and beneficial technology. There will also be unintended consequences. There always is when free enterprise and federal requirements have a head-on. I do not see EV becoming any kind of do all/end all in any near future. IMHO Battery tech will have to advance to Star Trek levels before you'll see an EV truck with a 40' Jayco on the back running 250 miles between charges. And don't forget that fuel taxes pay for road and bridge maintenance.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:15 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
The manufacturers are probably using this time to retool for hybrid and E vehicles. They have been shown the writing on the wall by the current administration unfortunately
I don't know but I would be surprised if they were. EVs are full of computers and sensors. Add to that the fact that the batteries come from the same corner of the world. Make the batteries here? Well problem is the raw materials come from places that don't play well with us either. There are many challenges to complex issues that will take years to resolve. Don't let those EV truck commercials fool you. They are at least equally about being green "aware" as they are about selling a product that they don't enen produce yet, at least not in any appreciable numbers.

I was around for the "fuel shortages" in the 1970's. What a buch of ... well anway, anyone remember the panic? I remember the plethora of pure crap that was for sale "guaranteed to save gas"! Everthing from a piece of aluminum to put in the air intake (the carborator tornado?) to the gas line magnets to " align the gas molecules ". I'm guessing if anything is "tooling up" it's likekly a bunch of snake oil salesman making the "new and impoved" worthless junk to improve fuel milage.

Just my opinion. I'm not a very smart man but I try to pay attention.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 11:30 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Shepherd Guy View Post
For 2 1/2 months now I have had a new vehicle on order. And at least here in western Colorado there appears to be little let up in filling inventory to pre covid levels. I just read where Ford is going to start selling Explorers without everything working. Due to continuing chip shortage. They claim once the chips come in they will be dealer installed and then the vehicle will work right. Really.

I will see if the dealer honors his price when my vehicle finally gets here from Indiana, where it is being made. Will go over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure all electronics are working as advertised before accepting delivery. I hope prices will be coming down and that your observations are right.
According to the Detroit Free Press, GM is doing the same thing: Shipping "chipless vehicles to dealers so they can sell incomplete vehicles" with the promise that when chips arrive, the dealerships will install them so the vehicles will operate as designed." https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...ge/8676513002/

Whether that "chip ship" arrives at the port in time or whether the vehicle gets traded in before it's completed is anybody's best guess.... I can visualize a 3rd owner of a lease vehicle returned by Hertz or Avis trying to get a chip so his cruise control finally works and GM (or Ford) saying, "sorry, that program is only available to initial purchaser"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 12:19 PM   #9
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon67 View Post
IMHO Battery tech will have to advance to Star Trek levels before you'll see an EV truck with a 40' Jayco on the back running 250 miles between charges.
Might not be as far off as you think

https://www.volvotrucks.us/trucks/vnr-electric/
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 07:47 PM   #10
wegone

I know prices are still way up and dealing with new purchases always lag reality.
With all the other issues, maybe they sense they got to get these units delivered at inflated prices because they know what's coming?

Just a guess on my part, nothing more.

What I noticed is that "used: trucks are falling in lots of markets; I love looking at CL at bedtime, it's better than counting sheep

What I have observed is the "older" trucks, especially the 150, 1500, etc, seemed to have peaked, and are declining, even the older eco boost.

I see the old gassers, the V-10's, etc, coming down.
Older diesel, especially the 6.0 power stroke, dropping in price.

I have seen what look to be usable trucks for under 10 grand, and these are not all beat up, mid 100k range.

Before, it was all going UP, UP, and UP, i helped a buddy buy his TV 6 months ago, and I've been addicted ever since

So, call me an idiot and fool, I won't disagree with you.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 12:30 AM   #11
Badbart56

It appears the market is softening somewhat. I have been watching for trends as I was in the market for a new vehicle for my wife. She was interested in a Durango R/T or SRT or a Charger R/T or SRT but she has had a couple of Suburban's in the past and those were her all time favorites. So after searching the Craigslist ads and the bombardment of ads that followed on Facebook I found a 2018 Escalade that was like new at a dealer in Florida and got it for about $6K under book value. I seldom buy new anymore just because of the massive depreciation but having worked at dealer service departments I know what to look for and get inspections done within the 72 hour contract window.

And yes, the price of many new one tons is over $100K. If you are willing to pay it, they are willing to sell it. The guy that traded in the Escalade traded for a $103K one ton dually I was told. But at the same time if you look around there are reasonable deals out there. My local Ford dealer in Georgia got in basically the same truck I have, an F-350 XL crewcab dually, 6.7 diesel that they advertised for $51K. Like mine, it didn't have all the bells and whistles. But those bells and whistles are expensive. I have the diesel with A/C, cruise control, AM/FM bluetooth, power windows, door locks, automatic transmission, limited slip 3:73's and cloth seats and I'm good with that.

I did take notice however, that while at the dealership there were about 6 or 8 salemen standing around and there was no one else buying any cars or trucks. We were the only customers there. As a matter of fact I had told the salesman that I would be there around 11:30 that morning and when we pulled into the lot in my CTS V he was waiting and pulled the Escalade out of the parking spot practically before we got out of the car. I think the recent decline in the economy caused in part by the high fuel prices may be helping us get back to better pricing.

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 05:40 AM   #12
Falcon67

When we bought the wife's F-150, that dealer - that we have had previous dealings with and is usually decent - "only" hit us for $1K over sticker. While we were there (October 2020) they sold to only F-250 on the lot for $4K over. So when we went looking for a possible F-350 upgrade, we took our business 35 miles down the road. Met up with the sales guy that I had spoke with on the phone. We talked about dealers jacking pricing and he was straight out "We don't pull that crap here." And, they didn't. They made sure to honor the order price pre-increase that Ford issued in Dec 20 and found another $2000 discount. Ended up with a F-350 DRW 7.3L Lariat Ultimate 8' bed with ultimate tow, 360 cams, 5th wheel prep and 12" display for $65K out the door. Took 5 months to get the truck. We hit the sweet spot on parts because I think even the 5th wheel prep will stall a Super Duty order now.
Old 03-24-2022, 10:22 AM   #13
falcondan95705

We paid 62 in 2017 for our truck.. kbb has it valued between 68 and 72k.! Problem is I can't replace it. 3500 dually 4x4, longhorn, aisin, 4:10 gears, auto level. .we looked from Dave Smith in Idaho, to mcpeek in anaheim, reno, Las vegas..NOT one dealer had this truck..Ours was used with 1200 miles. Msrp was 78..a dealer just offered 60k.. Dealer in Idaho where we bought this gave us full kbb trade invalue on our 17 megacab 3500 srw..
Old 03-25-2022, 07:22 AM   #14
peanut

GM just announced this morning that they will be closing their pickup truck plant in Indiana for two weeks in April because of chip shortages. I don't expect prices to drop very much for any of the brands. Chips shortages = inventory shortages = higher prices.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ks/7165366001/
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:43 AM   #15
falcondan95705

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
GM just announced this morning that they will be closing their pickup truck plant in Indiana for two weeks in April because of chip shortages. I don't expect prices to drop very much for any of the brands. Chips shortages = inventory shortages = higher prices.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ks/7165366001/
Why don't we make chips here?
Old 03-25-2022, 09:51 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcondan95705 View Post
Why don't we make chips here?
Why don't we make steel here?

Why don't we make drugs here?

Why don't we make televisions here?

Why don't we make tires here?

Why don't we make tractors here?

Why don't we make RAM trucks here?

Why don't we make Tee shirts here?

This could go on to fill the entire forum.... But, in short, the answer is:

It's cheaper to make them there and we let the opportunity "slip away" years ago with the belief that "money is more important than ability"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:03 AM   #17
sourdough
Site Team

I'm hoping (probably wasted hope) that this little episode of self induced panic and chaos has taught someone that there is a lot of merit to be independent and not place yourself in harms way by having all of your necessary "stuff" made by someone that hates you. Maybe we learned and this season of farming out the manufacture of anything/everything to others will end.....but I doubt it. If we continue to insist on buying the cheapest, shoddiest products from foreign places because they cost a few cents less we will continue down this road of reliance on others - not only a stupid place to be, but dangerous.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:03 AM   #18
Lee

@ JRTJH: Amen Sir!!!!!!!

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:54 AM   #19
flybouy
Site Team

We do make computer chips here. They are made all over the country and typically used in high end (read expensive) equipment like defense contractors, medical equipment, etc.

The question is, why do the auto manufactures buy them from Asia? The answer is because we all demand cheaper goods. So inorder to meet those demands companies that sell everything from cell phones to shoes go off shore where a surplus of low income and sometimes child and even slave labor makes it impossible for US industries to compete. Even our government buys the covid masks that they send out "for free" from China. They are the low bidder and often unapposed.

Welcome to our "Global Economy".
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 11:05 AM   #20
Badbart56

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I'm hoping (probably wasted hope) that this little episode of self induced panic and chaos has taught someone that there is a lot of merit to be independent and not place yourself in harms way by having all of your necessary "stuff" made by someone that hates you. Maybe we learned and this season of farming out the manufacture of anything/everything to others will end.....but I doubt it. If we continue to insist on buying the cheapest, shoddiest products from foreign places because they cost a few cents less we will continue down this road of reliance on others - not only a stupid place to be, but dangerous.
I'm not optimistic either. Many of us remember the Arab Oil Embargo back in the 70's when the price of gas went from .25 cents a gallon to $1.50 seemingly overnight. And then in classic knee jerk reaction everyone ran out and bought Toyota's, Mazda's and the like so they could afford to go to work. I see the same thing coming with these electric cars. Only my belief is that those that go that route will likely be worse off in a few years once folks learn that EV's are not yet ready for prime time. $50K car, $16K-$20K battery? This is affordable? C'mon man!

2010 FZ 405

2011 F350 6.7 Dually w/Banks Power making 510 hp and 1065 ft/lbs torque
Badbart56 is offline   Reply With Quote