Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2022, 07:01 PM   #41
LERD

I just watched this today, very intriguing. But certainly the range isn't there yet. But the actual setup is outstanding.

https://youtu.be/CCtIB0BC1NQ
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 02:06 AM   #42
ChuckS

I can see NO WAY that electric autos will be much more than a pipe dream for quite a long time..

There is NO infrastructure built to charge all of these... And how long does it take to get a "full charge"...

What a joke

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 04:47 AM   #43
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I can see NO WAY that electric autos will be much more than a pipe dream for quite a long time..

There is NO infrastructure built to charge all of these... And how long does it take to get a "full charge"...

What a joke
Completly agree. Currently, and I think for the foreseeable future, EV's are useful in three catagories.

The urban commuter that has a house with a driveway to enable parking and recharging that works either close enough to make the round trip on the capacity of the battery or has a charging station at work. Now that last scenario is worth noting. What if you get to work and the charging stations are all occupied? Do you call for a ride home or camp out at work?

The second catagory I think is the "novelty" catagory. I think a lot of Tesla and EV Mustang owners fall into this use. You have the disposable income to afford the vehichle as a "non essential" vehichle that you can tool around in on the weekend and have fun. A lot like motorcyle enthusiasts.

Third catagory would be the retired driver. Short trips to the store, doctors, church etc. then return. Like a golf cart in a gated retirement community it would simplify life. No trips to the gas station, no confusion on which button or nozzel to use, no standing out in the heat or cold to refule.

I don't see a fourth catagory for trucks pullling heavy loads over long distances. The technology and the infastructure just isn't there nor am I aware of ANY viable plan for it. The electric grid is struggling worldwide to keep pace with maintaining and prroviding new service. In the US the average new home sales average around 4,600/day. Average auto sales? Well around 47,000/day. So, to transition to EV's in a "big way" will take time, a lot of time.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:03 AM   #44
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Completly agree. Currently, and I think for the foreseeable future, EV's are useful in three catagories.

The urban commuter that has a house with a driveway to enable parking and recharging that works either close enough to make the round trip on the capacity of the battery or has a charging station at work. Now that last scenario is worth noting. What if you get to work and the charging stations are all occupied? Do you call for a ride home or camp out at work?

The second catagory I think is the "novelty" catagory. I think a lot of Tesla and EV Mustang owners fall into this use. You have the disposable income to afford the vehichle as a "non essential" vehichle that you can tool around in on the weekend and have fun. A lot like motorcyle enthusiasts.

Third catagory would be the retired driver. Short trips to the store, doctors, church etc. then return. Like a golf cart in a gated retirement community it would simplify life. No trips to the gas station, no confusion on which button or nozzel to use, no standing out in the heat or cold to refule.

I don't see a fourth catagory for trucks pullling heavy loads over long distances. The technology and the infastructure just isn't there nor am I aware of ANY viable plan for it. The electric grid is struggling worldwide to keep pace with maintaining and prroviding new service. In the US the average new home sales average around 4,600/day. Average auto sales? Well around 47,000/day. So, to transition to EV's in a "big way" will take time, a lot of time.
So, I am currently in the third category, so an EV would work for us. But even when I was working and commuting 50mi. one way and EV would have worked if it had a range of 250 miles. In fact probably 95% of our driving needs would be satisfied by EV. I don't consider all trips of less than 250 miles as "short trips to the store" We are a two car family so if we had an EV and a gasser we could meet all our travel needs, with the exception of course of towing the fiver. that requires large doses of diesel.

As for taxing those EV's, not to worry. Congress has two basic rules. If it moves, tax it. If it doesn't move, just prod it a bit till it moves, then tax it.
2017 F-350, psd,4x4, lariat, c-c, swb, srw
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:08 AM   #45
jasin1

What about the high cost of electricity this year? My electric bill almost doubled in Jan feb. ..they said electric prices are up all over the country. You either pay at the pump or once a month with electric bill

There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch
Old 02-23-2022, 08:13 AM   #46
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
What about the high cost of electricity this year? My electric bill almost doubled in Jan feb. ..they said electric prices are up all over the country. You either pay at the pump or once a month with electric bill

There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch
Just wait, ALL energy prices are directly effected by the cost of crude oil. Producing and delivering EVERYTHING is tied to, you guessed it, the price of oil.
Old 02-23-2022, 08:21 AM   #47
jxnbbl

On solar...I'm a technoid and two years ago put up some panels on the house. In our part of the country (snow, etc) it is more of a feel good measure. Where there are summer months where the electrical bill is 0 or negative, the winter months are still a good size bill. What is interesting is that your mode of usage changes. For years, in this region you wanted to minimize electrical use due to cost. Now to accompany the solar we use heat pumps for 9 months of the year to use up the electrical generated. (oil the other 3 months).

It is 'feel good' in that the amount spent has a long payback so can not really call it an investment.

On vehicles, we eventually will probably get an electric car/truck to use locally as we don't live in the "city" and although we plan out our trips to minimize the mileage it really does consume quite a bit of our non-travel (pulling the trailer) mileage/fuel on our vehicles.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 08:44 AM   #48
LynneV

I have a Chevy Bolt. For the driving we do it is the vehicle we drive the most. It was perfect when living in Calif, stop and go traffic is some of the best mileage.

Did I buy it because I’m a tree hugger trying to save thee planet, nope.
It was reasonably priced, can beat most vehicles off the line, has some of the best cameras I’ve seen in any vehicle, but most importantly I have not been to a dealer in over 55,000 miles.
I can drive over the mountains here to drive an hour to Cottonwood and drive back home and still have the same amount of energy (miles) left when I get back.

Granted I can’t drive from Arizona to California but that is why we own a gasser, you have to own both

2008 Fuzion 393
LynneV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 10:53 AM   #49
Northofu1

If we don't put all our eggs in one basket, why would you expect us to all commute / travel the same?
If the upper middle class and rich want to drive electric, no skin off my nose. More gas for little folks. If they don't drive those e cars, how are the makers going to improve them.
No one's complaining about ebikes. lol
They will have alternative ways to travel when they have exhausted every avenue of fossil fuel profit.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 01:13 PM   #50
flybouy
Site Team

And the USPS signed a deal to replace 85% of it's vehichles with gas powered delivery trucks. I guess even the government's pressure to go EV didn't convince them.
Old 02-24-2022, 03:21 AM   #51
notanlines

Quote:
And the USPS signed a deal to replace 85% of it's vehicles with gas powered delivery trucks. I guess even the government's pressure to go EV didn't convince them.
And how many of you out there are surprised that the USPS didn't order up 85% horse and buggy rigs? And move the big loads with prairie schooners....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 09:22 PM   #52
hankpage
Site Team

hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:25 AM   #53
TomTerrific

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Horses and oxen produce too much methane .... start walking.
So do politicians. Vote accordingly. Seriously.
TomTerrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 04:36 AM   #54
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
The guy in the right side photo sees the one in the left when he looks in a mirror. Many pick up truck owners, both 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton diesel owners see themselves driving a semi tractor when they see their reflection in a store front window.
Old 04-08-2022, 04:53 AM   #55
rhagfo

Talking

Quote:
Reminds me of something a very wise man told me. "If you take a bag of dog feces and knok on enough doors you'll find someone that wants to buy it." Nowdays, it seems to me that some folks beleive if they keep repeating the same lie long enough it becomes true.
LOL!
I use to have a document of "How Defecation Happens" it followed a very bad idea as it passed up the chain of command, once at the CEO, it was presented as the best thing since sliced bread!.
I googled it!
https://web.mnstate.edu/alm/humor/ThePlan.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I'm still waiting for an answer to the question "How are these EV's paying to use the roads I paid for?" Same thing for the bicycles I have to share the road with. How are they taxed?
The only fair way to tax both EV's and Fossil Fueled vehicles is a mileage tax. That comes with all sorts of privacy issues, but is the only way to tax them.
Maybe they could figure out how to collect a tax based on charging, but we would see all sorts of non taxed home made chargers.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:16 AM   #56
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post

The only fair way to tax both EV's and Fossil Fueled vehicles is a mileage tax. That comes with all sorts of privacy issues, but is the only way to tax them.
Maybe they could figure out how to collect a tax based on charging, but we would see all sorts of non taxed home made chargers.
Or completely revamp the tax base for road maintenance. Do away with gasoline/diesel taxes so they are based the same as electric energy tax and then roll all the requirements for road maintenance into vehicle annual registration fees. Base them on a "flat rate" where everyone pays the same annual feel (EXPENSIVE) or base them on annual mileage, pro-rated so those who use the roads more actually pay more (Expect a new, growing industry that turns back odometers for a fee that's less than the road use fees)....

No matter which way we go, or even if we go an entirely different direction, we'll have those who pay their "fair share" and we'll have those who avoid paying either "by hook or by crook".... And, the final outcome will be the same as today: POTHOLES and EXCUSES .....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 06:55 AM   #57
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Quote:
I don't see a fourth catagory for trucks pullling heavy loads over long distances. The technology and the infastructure just isn't there nor am I aware of ANY viable plan for it.
Saw this on another RV website.
https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wi...eries-83953212

A joint venture between Nissan and NASA that Nissan says will produce results (availability) by 2028. Still 8 years out but, for me (after 75 years), that doesn't seem all that long.

Battery development continues. Battery pack size cut in half? Full charge in 15 minutes? If true it would be a game changer and make even me interested.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:02 AM   #58
wiredgeorge

Saw this neat Jeep EV commercial; out in the wild, how you gonna charge but I guess the gubbermint will put charging stations in the jungle?

2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 08:20 AM   #59
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Saw this neat Jeep EV commercial; out in the wild, how you gonna charge but I guess the gubbermint will put charging stations in the jungle?
Or Jeep could "team up with Keystone" and charge the Jeep with the Solar Flex system in the Half Ton trailer. Go anywhere, as long as you want and as far as you want, all on "heat from the sun"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 09:15 AM   #60
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post

Yeah, guess those 2 apes sitting up on the rock above Jeeps at the charging station just ran down there and put that in right quick for those Jeeps....in the middle of the jungle...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote