Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2022, 12:00 PM   #41
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm unsure of current requirements for importing pets to Europe, but in the 70's when we imported our dog to Germany, there was another member in New Jersey that was shipping their dog to England. At the time, there was a 6 month quarantine period before they could take possession of the dog. So, they flew it to England with full knowledge that it would be 6 months before they saw their dog again. That might work for a 3 year assignment, but certainly not for a 1 week layover on a world trip.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:26 PM   #42
Camp CA

Good news.......with vaccination chip embedded into the animal no quarantine requirement, at least in the UK. Suspect same in EU countries. But to travel from the UK to EU countries you need animal passport filled out by a UK licensed vet. That might avoid import / export paperwork. We have one for our dog for that purpose.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:36 AM   #43
Weldon

We have 2 dogs. We board them with our vet every trip. The chihuahua would be fine camping. She's almost 15 and used to tent camp with me every weekend as a puppy. But my 65-lb English pointer thinks every animal and person is a threat to my kids. I have no doubt she would bark non-stop and possibly paw her way to freedom if we left her in the camper. Instead they hang out together in a suite while we camp. I wish we could camp with them, but it wouldnt be fair to the dogs or our neighbors at the campground. Ginger is the dog where i was issued a full refund when I took her to training as a puppy. The trainer told me our dog needs 1 on 1 training and that may not work. She's "high-spirited"
Weldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:28 AM   #44
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldon View Post
We have 2 dogs. We board them with our vet every trip. The chihuahua would be fine camping. She's almost 15 and used to tent camp with me every weekend as a puppy. But my 65-lb English pointer thinks every animal and person is a threat to my kids. I have no doubt she would bark non-stop and possibly paw her way to freedom if we left her in the camper. Instead they hang out together in a suite while we camp. I wish we could camp with them, but it wouldnt be fair to the dogs or our neighbors at the campground. Ginger is the dog where i was issued a full refund when I took her to training as a puppy. The trainer told me our dog needs 1 on 1 training and that may not work. She's "high-spirited"
THANK YOU!…..i wish more people were as considerate of their neighbors…i don’t mind an occasional dog barking but when it’s hours and hours of it …well…it gets old quick
Old 06-08-2022, 09:15 AM   #45
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
THANK YOU!…..i wish more people were as considerate of their neighbors…i don’t mind an occasional dog barking but when it’s hours and hours of it …well…it gets old quick
You need to purchase a higher end camper with more insulation!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:47 AM   #46
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
You need to purchase a higher end camper with more insulation!
yeah maybe so
Old 06-08-2022, 11:45 AM   #47
wiredgeorge

Quote:
yeah maybe so
Don't know if you shoot, but some of those orange foam ear things will mute even a noisy dog outside your camper. We have 8 dogs and are currently watching two others. A bit of barking at the hacienda now and again I guess.
Old 06-08-2022, 01:37 PM   #48
jasin1

Quote:
Don't know if you shoot, but some of those orange foam ear things will mute even a noisy dog outside your camper. We have 8 dogs and are currently watching two others. A bit of barking at the hacienda now and again I guess.
this is what i’m thinking for me and the DW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	58BB9E72-6047-49FF-BB56-ED5E61F8D67B.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	40148  
Old 06-08-2022, 01:47 PM   #49
wiredgeorge

Quote:
this is what i’m thinking for me and the DW
Hey, that is a Smart idea!
Old 06-08-2022, 03:05 PM   #50
gearhead

Both my neighbors drove us crazy with barking dogs. I bought one of those electronic bark sensors and high frequency alarm that supposedly stopped barking. I mounted it on a 2x4 on my side of the fence and pointed it at the neighbors back yard. They mounted a piece of plywood on a 2x4 on their side to block the sensor. He had a German Shepard and a big yellow cur on chains with no shade. One afternoon the cur was on our back porch looking through our den windows growling at us. Cost me $3500 to put a fence across my back property line to keep HIS dogs out. He eventually put up a fence.
The other neighbor had 2 bully dogs that went ape feces whenever I stepped out my back door. He found both dead soon after I called the police on him. I didn't kill them. I didn't kill them.
I told Betty I wanted to live in the country, but noooo
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:06 PM   #51
markcee

Earbuds + Black Sabbath Paranoid = Barkproof

markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 03:48 PM   #52
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Hey, that is a Smart idea!
Maybe you should get it! Get it?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 06:16 PM   #53
gearhead

Quote:
Or what we in the old refinery had to do around screaming rotating machinery...double hearing protection...ear plugs and ear muffs. Yes it's a PITA.
And yes, most of us gearheads are somewhat deaf.
I tend to get loud sometimes in a conversation. Betty will tell me "you're not at work". Well I'm sorry but we had to scream at each other.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 12:41 PM   #54
hawghauler

We have 2 Staffordshire terrier ( General Mayhem and Captain Chaos ) they love the camper I take them to where I store it to do maintenance etc most of our camping is bike rallys in my personal opinion I don't want some drunk borderline retard messing with my boys so we have one of the kids come to our house and stray there ( working / socializing as normal ) when we get home the boys are happy to see us healthy and had very little chance of getting injured lost etc also since they're pit bulls in the eyes of most theure bad dogs and most likely unwelcome in Amy campground you toss a dart at on the map

Unfortunate but fact

Btw they're sweet loving pets that are just as broken and useless as all my lazy guns that refuse to kill innocents in my absence
hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 03:00 PM   #55
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawghauler View Post
We have 2 Staffordshire terrier ( General Mayhem and Captain Chaos ) they love the camper I take them to where I store it to do maintenance etc most of our camping is bike rallys in my personal opinion I don't want some drunk borderline retard messing with my boys so we have one of the kids come to our house and stray there ( working / socializing as normal ) when we get home the boys are happy to see us healthy and had very little chance of getting injured lost etc also since they're pit bulls in the eyes of most theure bad dogs and most likely unwelcome in Amy campground you toss a dart at on the map

Unfortunate but fact

Btw they're sweet loving pets that are just as broken and useless as all my lazy guns that refuse to kill innocents in my absence
Yes, pits are some of the most loving dogs on the planet. As with any breed it all depends on what an "owner" (and I use that word loosely for some people) does to and with them. Many/most campgrounds have some kind of rules about dogs, breeds etc. Many places were reluctant to take our pup thinking she was one of those "horrible pit bulls" over the phone. I just take her and let them meet her. That works with owners of parks, hired hands many times just "follow the rules" as they interpret them. Check beforehand to get a feel of the situation. Also be sure and take all your vaccination records for the dogs. Most places stipulate it and may ask but I've actually had 2 places request the vaccination records to copy...and they have to be up to date. Just fyi.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:57 AM   #56
notanlines

There is a reason that RV parks (and bike rallies) won't allow pit bulls in their midst.
From www.dogbite.org:
I expect this might be due to the breed itself and the @$%&* irresponsible ownership. I'd prefer we not use the term 'retard' here. Very distasteful.
Both RV parks, rallies and all the associated goings-on would find insurance hard to come by if there weren't rules concerning dogs and the breeds associated with them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	multi-year-dog-bite-fatality-chart-2005-2017.gif
Views:	50
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	40311  
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 06:42 AM   #57
travelin texans

I can only visualize all the Chaos & Mayhem at a bike rally with all those "well behaved freindly" dogs chasing all the bikers as they ride by or the non stop barking!!
Sounds like a great time!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 11:17 AM   #58
sourdough
Site Team

The problem with "pit bulls" is many folks think they are aggressive and get one so they can be a "guard" dog....and teach them that way. The primary concern to me are the folks that say "he's a good dog" no matter how ill mannered the dog is then proceed to turn them loose on the campground, park etc. I've never been in a campground that didn't stipulate all dogs had to be on a leash AND I've never been in a campground where there weren't people that refused to obey the rules because "he's such a good dog"....even as it barks, growls and chases - and those dogs are all kinds of breeds.

In our case in the conversation about pit bulls, mine is not. I was pointing out that some places want to ban an animal "just because" if you say terrier. That's the reason I make reservations and if required have them come to the vehicle (or look at it) to see puppy if they don't want to take my word. It's a mindset that has been ingrained in people.

The answer to all of this? I doubt there is one because people would actually have to act responsibly with their dogs and I just don't see that nor have I experienced it. Our dog does not leave my side if she is outside. She is on a 6' fixed (non retractable) leash (before the door is opened). She has been professionally trained and it shows. If she goes to the door she just stops and waits for one of us to put her halter on.

So "traveling with dogs"? Sure, with some caveats. First and foremost the dog should be trained and well behaved. Training can be very expensive. It should not bark when attended or unattended. Mine will bark at a skunk now after making the mistake a few years ago of tackling one at the foot of the stairs at our mountain property and having her face and head thoroughly soaked - she will even "woof" when you can smell a skunk. Follow the rules to a T. Even if they don't stipulate it keep your dog on a short leash and by all means pick up no matter where you are. Realize that there are people that 1) do not like dogs and 2) may be afraid of them. Keep that in mind with every action you take with your "puppy".

Sorry for the long post but I'm one of the folks that used to view "dogs" as a nuisance - I was even allergic to them. That has changed but I can see both sides of the coin.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:30 PM   #59
flybouy
Site Team

Most every cg we've been in have pet restrictions. Some restrict size, some restrict number of pets allowed per site, and yes some restrict certian breeds but it seems to be less common, at least where we've stayed. In my personal opinion I think fearing pit bulls is a valid fear. Unfortunatly they have been bred and trained to kill in far too many numbers, (does Micheal Vick ring a bell?). The statistics are not in their favor and neither are the results of the breed attacking other animals and children. Can't remember ever reading about beagels or other breeds chewing the face off of a child or ripping their throats out and killing them.

In my thinking the cg rules are set by the owner and if you feel strongly against them or cannot follow them then don't patronize their buisness. Seems simple enough to me.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2022, 03:37 AM   #60
InkedMarie

From what I’ve been told from a couple Campground owners I know, it’s usually the insurance that makes the “No xyz breeds allowed”.

We’re seasonal and there’s a little ten pounder here who is not friendly at all. Not a breed restricted breed so she stays.....til she bites someone, I guess.

2021 Keystone Cougar Half Ton 32 rli
InkedMarie is offline   Reply With Quote