Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2022, 11:25 AM   #1
edwardsm1

Traveling with a dog

Wife and I are planning couple weeklong trip to Midwest from Idaho in July-Aug with stop at Football Hall of fame. Will be traveling with our dog. Will probably have to leave him trailer at times. Know weather can be hot and humid. Does anybody use a temp/pet monitor to help keep pets safe? If so what kind, how well do they work? Good/bad experiences, recommendations?
edwardsm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:41 AM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsm1 View Post
Wife and I are planning couple weeklong trip to Midwest from Idaho in July-Aug with stop at Football Hall of fame. Will be traveling with our dog. Will probably have to leave him trailer at times. Know weather can be hot and humid. Does anybody use a temp/pet monitor to help keep pets safe? If so what kind, how well do they work? Good/bad experiences, recommendations?
Does your dog bark incessantly when left in a strange place?

Stayed in cape may and the people next to us had two dogs that had to bark in order to breathe as far as I can tell…it wasn’t pleasant
Old 02-07-2022, 11:45 AM   #3
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Does your dog bark incessantly when left in a strange place?

Stayed in cape may and the people next to us had two dogs that had to bark in order to breathe as far as I can tell…it wasn’t pleasant
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Everyone thinks their dog doesn't bark when they leave it in the trailer all day.
BS
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:37 PM   #4
hornet28

Our longest trip with our Goldendoodle was a month. We never left him in the trailer but did leave him in the truck when we were at places that didn't allow dogs. He always had water, a toy and a window down a bit. But he's pretty laid back and when we would check on him at times he'd just be sleeping. I think the longest we went without checking him was maybe 45min
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 03:12 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

We take Honeybun. She is a 16 year old peekapoo and she is the worlds best camper. Her eating habits are just like home and she NEVER messes in the cabin. She doesn't bark and she is the only dog we own who can slip her leash, run away, and I am fast enough to catch up to (we both kinda walk slow). She sleeps up on the bed and doesn't move all night but does snore a tad. Here she is walking my missus...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	good.lookin.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	38266  
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 03:30 PM   #6
notanlines

Mark, in answer to your question, yes, there are smart phone app monitors one can purchase that will keep an eye on your fuzzy friends, the RV temperature and miscellaneous other factors. As you've been warned, your responsibilities lie with people/neighbors along with your dogs. Make sure they're comfortable, quiet, safe, and reasonably entertained. Be sure to leave a note posted conspicuously to your door with contact information should an emergency arise.
Yes, I'm referring to the dogs, NOT the neighbors.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 05:07 PM   #7
markcee

I've used this for a couple of years:

https://mywaggle.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiA...BoCAkgQAvD_BwE

No complaints. You can activate monthly, quarterly or yearly.

Also, if your trailer is equipped with InCommand with Global Connect, you can monitor the temp/set temp alarms through that. If going the InCommand route, I would not recommend connecting through campground wifi. You will need a more trustworthy source.
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:09 PM   #8
mikec557

We found doggy daycare very useful the few times we needed to be away for most of the day.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 01:40 AM   #9
xrated

Our dog goes camping with us all the time. I stared to look into a Waggle or a Marcell for pet monitoring, then I came across the MicroAire thermostat that is made for camping trailers....a 12V thermostat. They are built with Bluetooth AND WiFi features. When you are around the trailer you can use either BT or the WiFi function to control it or you can use it like a regular thermostat with a touchpad screen. Obviously, if you are away from the camper, the WiFi function is what you would use, and as long as you have WiFi in the trailer that the thermostat can be connected to, and you have phone service and the app downloaded on the phone and set up, you have complete control of the thermostat.....You can turn the A/C on or off, control the temperature (Heating and cooling), turn the fan on and off, as well as monitoring the temperature in the trailer. And as far as the WiFi part of it, you don't even have to have WiFi, as long as the campground has dependable WiFi that you can connect to. In my trailer, the center unit is a heat pump and I also have the trailer furnace for times when it is too cold for the heat pump to work. The thermostat will operate the heat pump and if it can't keep up (usually when temperatures are in the low 40s or so), the MicroAire will automatically start the Propane furnace when the temperature gets around 5 degrees below what the setpoint is.

The MicroAire thermostat isn't cheap (around $250), but it does serve a very useful purpose and does allow you complete control of your thermostat, as well as monitoring the inside temperature of the camper.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:44 AM   #10
UKLimey

Quote:
Originally Posted by markcee View Post
I've used this for a couple of years:

https://mywaggle.com/?gclid=CjwKCAiA...BoCAkgQAvD_BwE

No complaints. You can activate monthly, quarterly or yearly.

Also, if your trailer is equipped with InCommand with Global Connect, you can monitor the temp/set temp alarms through that. If going the InCommand route, I would not recommend connecting through campground wifi. You will need a more trustworthy source.

We use Waggle too. Excellent product. You can set high and low temp limits as well as humidity levels. Will notify you by text and/or e-mail if limits are exceeded. Also lets you know if RV power goes out.
Our Website
UKLimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 07:55 AM   #11
dutchmensport

Maybe my logic and reasoning is different than some, but...

If you had children, would you leave then locked up in the trailer why you were out doing something only because kids were not allowed where your activity was being held? Or, leave your kids inside a car or truck why you were off doing something else?

Your pets are your kids. If you bring your pets with you, then keep them with you. We have never left our dogs alone .... never. We plan and alter everything we do. And if the dog's can't "go there" we don't either. It takes only one time for someone to break into your vehicle and steal the dog. Or it takes only 3 minutes for a camper to completely burn to the gruond.
Old 02-08-2022, 08:38 AM   #12
German Shepherd Guy

The midwest in July August can be brutal. Why more than Idaho.

First suggestion would be, board your pooch at home.
Second, if not possible then board locally on the days you will where he cannot go.
Third. If that is not possible then a monitor AND have the boy crate trained. If he is crate trained he will not bark or cannot get into trouble when you are not around.
Then as Jim said, leave info where you can be reached at the campground if there is trouble.
Good luck.
Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:06 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

A couple of years ago we were at Yellowstone NP in a "full to the brim campground". Every space was occupied. The site next to us had a "dog from hell". They'd leave at 8AM, dog started barking at 8:01AM. They'd return for lunch around 12, dog stopped barking as soon as it heard their truck. They'd leave at 1PM, dog started barking at 1:01PM and didn't stop until it heard their truck...

After the third day, we were sitting outside in lawn chairs when they came back for lunch. He commented on how "well behaved his dog was and made the comment that he never barks"... YEAH RIGHT, BUDDY !!!!!

I invited him to just walk over to our trailer "quietly" and let his DW drive off in their truck so he could "hear for himself" ... As expected, they didn't look our way the rest of the week and he never took me up on "seeing for himself"... Somehow, I honestly suspected that he already knew, but just didn't give a damn.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:50 AM   #14
hornet28

For those who suggest taking the dog everywhere. When we visited the aquarium in New Port Oregon dogs not allowed, there are places you might want to go that just don't allow it. When on the road between campgrounds what choice is there? As far as boarding, we've had our Doodle for 7 yrs and he's never been boarded, why? Friends that have boarded have had dogs come home with kennel cough, meds not given when needed, etc. and one kennel locally burned to the ground in the middle of the night with many dogs lost. Another instance, about a 1/2mi off Lake Michigan in the winter, a dog got out and wandered off was found a few weeks later washed ashore a few miles south from where he was being kept. NO THANKS our dog stays under our care not boarded
1917 T roadster 270 Hemi/4 spd
34' car trailer w/63" semi sleeper on the front
hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:55 AM   #15
jasin1

I wouldn’t leave the dog in a car..it’s illegal in some states and even when it’s fairly mild out it can still be a lot hotter inside even with the window cracked https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/he...s-in-hot-cars/
Old 02-08-2022, 11:13 AM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

I don't think leaving a dog in a controlled environment of a camper is is bad if you do it RESPONSIBLY. Do you not leave your dog at home when you go to the store, the doctors, whatever? I don't equate them to children, they are animals and as such they are self sufficient, children are not. I've never seen a dog (or other animal) stick an object in their ear or nose, light a match or eat laundry soap thinking it's candy.

The responsible part of leaving a dog? Train the dog not to bark or howl in your absence. Get in the truck and drive away. get out and quietly walk back to the camper. Is the dog barking? If yes you need to train them, if no then walk back to your truck anmd have a nice day. It ain't rocket science.

We use Wyse cams in the trailer. They are inexpensive Wi-Fi cameras and I can monitor the dog anywhere I have cell phone service. The camera has a microphone so I can listen in and a speaker that I can talk thru if I want to. We leave the a/c fan on high running constantly. Also leave the radio on (not blasting) to help drown out outside noise. Blinds are down so the dog doesn't look out and get excited. A rawhide chew or a Kong with treats or peanut butter inside will keep him occupied. Typically when we leave he jumps up in the bed or on the couch and sleeps. He knows it's "nap time" when we leave.

We will leave a piece of paper taped to the door that says "If the dog is barking or there's any problem please call (my cell phone number)" Although I KNOW the dog isn't barking I consider it a common courtesy and have never had a call. If I see the neighbors outside when we leave I'll tell them our dog is inside and the number is on the door if there's an issue. Conversely if they are out when we return I'll ask if the dog disturbed them during our absence. Have yet to hear a complaint (again, I KNOW the dog behaved) but most folks will thank us for asking.

Common sense, common courtesy and respect. Like I said, it ain't rocket science.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:14 PM   #17
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The responsible part of leaving a dog? Train the dog not to bark or howl in your absence. Get in the truck and drive away. get out and quietly walk back to the camper. Is the dog barking? If yes you need to train them, if no then walk back to your truck anmd have a nice day. It ain't rocket science.
This quote right here needs repeating - daily. The sheer number of people who swear their precious little doggie is a perfect angel while they leave it alone in the camper all day is astonishing. I have been very tempted to either record their dog barking for hours on end and play it outside their camper window starting at about 4 am, or bring my rooster camping so the annoying dog owners can see how another animal constantly making noise isn’t very pleasant for others to listen to. But that would be very unfair for the others who do have wonderful pets, or no pets.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 05:34 PM   #18
gearhead

Have I got to go down this road again?
Yes, no, maybe?
Ok, let me see if I can PO everybody again.
Dogs ain't human. To equate them with children is perverse. They behave mostly on inherited innate traits. Pekapoos don't naturally retrieve ducks, etc.
I could steal your Beagle and feed him for 2 weeks and he would make goo-goo eyes at me just like he has done with you for 5 years.
I grew up with hunting dogs. If they didn't hunt they usually didn't come home with Dad. It's a different world for sure.
Fire away.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:21 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Have I got to go down this road again?
Yes, no, maybe?
Ok, let me see if I can PO everybody again.
Dogs ain't human. To equate them with children is perverse. They behave mostly on inherited innate traits. Pekapoos don't naturally retrieve ducks, etc.
I could steal your Beagle and feed him for 2 weeks and he would make goo-goo eyes at me just like he has done with you for 5 years.
I grew up with hunting dogs. If they didn't hunt they usually didn't come home with Dad. It's a different world for sure.
Fire away.

Brent, Brent. You are me before I got this puppy (12 years old now). Had dogs all my life; bird dogs, greyhounds, etc. etc. etc. All my dogs were "outside" dogs; could not and would not abide an "inside" dog (I was allergic) and they were supposed to be "outside". That attitude is simply due to not being exposed to other possibilities.

IMO people take dogs and make them into what they want them to be; hunting dogs (if they are the proper breed), lap dogs (heaven help us), guard dogs (wrong), service dogs, pests, inconsiderate heathens, useless. The animal does have inherited traits but they are FAR more versatile than some realize (most). I can promise you that you can take a Lab or Golden retriever, get them at birth, teach them to totally fear water, animals etc. and you will not, ever, get them to retrieve anything - just the way it is.

You could take my pup and keep her for 2 weeks because you stole her and she would hate you (along with me). She certainly wouldn't make "goo goo" eyes at you but would do what she had to do to try to make you happy enough to feed her. When I show up? Goo Goo eyes will happen........And that....is the way it is for those that take the time to understand them. Children? Yep, she is; totally dependent on me, talks to me, guides me and has in fact went above and beyond to protect me when I was unable. There is more if you open up and pay attention. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 06:54 PM   #20
NH_Bulldog

We leave our dogs in the camper and we have a MicroAire thermostat to monitor temperature. They are couch potatoes and we have confirmed through various methods that they don’t make a peep in our absence. We tend not to stray to far or too long (3-5 hours at most). No one has ever complained and many have been surprised to see us out walking the dogs having no idea we even had dogs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BA154EEF-5136-4F46-821D-865C17558339.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	942.6 KB
ID:	38289  
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote