Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2022, 02:29 PM   #1
wegone

Anybody watching....????

I have no idea what is happening at the Winter Olympics, no clue, haven't watched at all.

Prolly won't, either, which is sad.

I respect the people and their dedication to achieving a higher standard in themselves, their commitment to training, etc....but it just seems to me to others have inserted themselves onto the stage, and I just don't want to be part of it.

Years ago, I walked out on a smaller concert where the entertainer, who was amazing, and extremely talented, used her stage time to promote their beliefs, I didn't want to attend a campaign rally, I wanted to be entertained, period.

Not sure what changed, perhaps just civility itself?

Ya know I get folks who often come over when I am pulling into a new campsite, asking if I need assistance, help..... backing into my spot.

I normally say, "Sure" even if I don't, because I think it goes a long way in making them feel good about themselves.

That, and my wife killed my ego years ago, anyway
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:10 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Eddie View Post
I have no idea what is happening at the Winter Olympics, no clue, haven't watched at all.

I respect the people and their dedication to achieving a higher standard in themselves, their commitment to training, etc....but it just seems to me to others have inserted themselves onto the stage, and I just don't want to be part of it.

Years ago, I walked out on a smaller concert where the entertainer, who was amazing, and extremely talented, used her stage time to promote their beliefs, I didn't want to attend a campaign rally, I wanted to be entertained, period.

Ya know I get folks who often come over when I am pulling into a new campsite, asking if I need assistance, help..... backing into my spot.

I normally say, "Sure" even if I don't, because I think it goes a long way in making them feel good about themselves.

As far as backing my camper, I was told quite a few years ago that experience would make me better. Whoever said that lied. I have learned backing is best done without witnesses and the missus not standing behind the camper waving her arms frantically. I can back up slowly and patiently with many corrections and will eventually the camper will find itself in the approximate place i intended.

As far as the Olympics, I don't care in the least except for the winter springboard high diving. I am waiting for that to be televised before I tune in.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:17 PM   #3
notanlines

In our group of about 12-16 at happy hour this afternoon, nobody has watched any so far. I'm sure someone is interested, but not us. Luck to all of them.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:28 PM   #4
wegone

As far as the Olympics, I don't care in the least except for the winter springboard high diving. I am waiting for that to be televised before I tune in.

Oh I so agree, I just love love the fish net speedos

BTW, I said I let them help, big difference than listening to them
Old 02-06-2022, 03:30 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

I’m usually too busy to watch much if any sports on TV. About the only time I’ll take out to watch would be the Super Bowl ONLY IF Green Bay was playing or the World Series ONLY IF the Giants were playing.

I’m usually one of the guys offering help. But I usually have the driver stay in the seat and instruct him/her how to use the mirrors and which way to to turn the wheel, they learn better by doing IMO.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 03:41 PM   #6
jasin1

You should hold up signs with scores for perfect backing.

We have a popular anchorage across the bay from me “fairlee creek” it has a dogleg narrow channel to get into it that looks like your gonna hit the beach and then hit anyone coming out of the anchorage ..very swift current. Can’t see anyone coming out till they clear the beach

People sit on the beach with bonfires watching the boats try to navigate in and hold up signs scoring them on their seamanship

Can be intimidating with a large boat lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6169EEA7-85FB-46D1-B4E2-BC61DB5D0547.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	38256   Click image for larger version

Name:	3C5353F8-4DD3-4D90-BDB7-30D2728ADBA2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	38257  
Old 02-06-2022, 06:16 PM   #7
jasin1

Quote:

This is what I’m like when someone offers to help
I am polite though

https://i.imgur.com/hsmet7U.gif
Old 02-06-2022, 07:08 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
This is what I’m like when someone offers to help
I am polite though

https://i.imgur.com/hsmet7U.gif

Far nicer than I am if being hammered with unsolicited help....or anything.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 04:10 AM   #9
nitrohorse

The best investment for me was a backup camera. It ended me having to jump out of the truck to find my wife standing out of view in my mirrors and the ensuing disagreement on her "helping" me. It also ended the helpful neighbor offering to guide me into the site as I explain that I have a camera.
2013 Jayco 26RLS
1996 Sunline 21' TT
1977 StarCraft Galaxy 8 pop-up
nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 05:14 AM   #10
Ram Nation

No Olympics, Football, or eating at Subway.
Old 02-07-2022, 05:20 AM   #11
xrated

I've watched a little of it, but generally I'm not interested in much of it. I am however, interested in MotoGP season to start. Here is a pic of what they do....And just for those of you that don't watch or know much of anything about it...NO, he is not crashing in that photo....it just a typical "day in the office" so to speak for the world's best motorcycle riders.

Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 05:31 AM   #12
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I've watched a little of it, but generally I'm not interested in much of it. I am however, interested in MotoGP season to start. Here is a pic of what they do....And just for those of you that don't watch or know much of anything about it...NO, he is not crashing in that photo....it just a typical "day in the office" so to speak for the world's best motorcycle riders.

That would scare me…I watched a Documentary on the Isle of Man race…those guys are nuts
Old 02-07-2022, 08:23 AM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:

Those guys are 2nd only to bull riders when it comes to tiny little pea brains & watermelon sized chestnuts!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 09:06 AM   #14
wegone

Looks like we gots company.....

NBC's Beijing Olympics opening ceremony broadcast sees record low viewers, down 43% from previous Games.

You think it's the boycott mentality of things nowadays?

Say if FOX had televised it, would the ratings be better?
Old 02-07-2022, 09:15 AM   #15
Ram Nation

Quote:
Looks like we gots company.....

NBC's Beijing Olympics opening ceremony broadcast sees record low viewers, down 43% from previous Games.

You think it's the boycott mentality of things nowadays?

Say if FOX had televised it, would the ratings be better?
Don't know about fox but if Newsmax would have I probably would have snuck a peek.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:27 AM   #16
gearhead

No football, no Olympics, minimal NBC, and NASCAR is sketchy at best.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 12:48 PM   #17
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Those guys are 2nd only to bull riders when it comes to tiny little pea brains & watermelon sized chestnuts!
Pea brains???? Doubtful, they are just like any other top of their class athlete....they've honed their craft and are almost like aliens when it comes to riding skill. These guys put more miles on those motorcycle than many people drive in a year in their cars and trucks. Then there is the physical conditioning that they do....year round to be able to control a 300+ HP motorcycle that weighs just under 350 lbs and be able to ride in oppressive heat and humidity. They are the few, the proud, the MotoGP top riders in the world.....and most of them make millions of $$ a year between salary and endorsements.

Old 02-07-2022, 12:50 PM   #18
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
That would scare me…I watched a Documentary on the Isle of Man race…those guys are nuts
Isle of Mann riders are a whole different class.....they do it on closed public roads. These guys are on actual road courses with air fencing and safety measures in place that take at least some of the dangers out of it.

My wife and I worked as Instructors/Coaches for a large motorcycle track day organization until we retired a little over 4 years ago. Here is a pic of her, at age 62 coming out of the last corner at Barber Motorsports Park in Leeds, AL.....

If you look close enough, you can see the Honda sticker that is on the bottom LEFT side of the lower fairings.....

Old 02-07-2022, 01:46 PM   #19
Ram Nation

Quote:
Isle of Mann riders are a whole different class.....they do it on closed public roads. These guys are on actual road courses with air fencing and safety measures in place that take at least some of the dangers out of it.

My wife and I worked as Instructors/Coaches for a large motorcycle track day organization until we retired a little over 4 years ago. Here is a pic of her, at age 62 coming out of the last corner at Barber Motorsports Park in Leeds, AL.....

If you look close enough, you can see the Honda sticker that is on the bottom LEFT side of the lower fairings.....
No pea brain there for sure. Just skill and determination. Good for her.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:38 PM   #20
Essvar

Quote:
Pea brains???? Doubtful, they are just like any other top of their class athlete....they've honed their craft and are almost like aliens when it comes to riding skill. These guys put more miles on those motorcycle than many people drive in a year in their cars and trucks. Then there is the physical conditioning that they do....year round to be able to control a 300+ HP motorcycle that weighs just under 350 lbs and be able to ride in oppressive heat and humidity. They are the few, the proud, the MotoGP top riders in the world.....and most of them make millions of $$ a year between salary and endorsements.

Funny... I've been riding/racing and coaching for 20 years. Only club and local stuff but one thing the top riders all have in common? Technical jobs, most of us are Engineers, IT managers, Pilots ect.... not a pea brain in the bunch. What people don't realize is this is actually a very technical and precise sport. One where if you make a mistake, it hurts....

Every now and again a pea brain, or 'meathead' comes around, but they don't last long.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote